3* farming--when to champ in the saved cover era

2»

Comments

• Coubii
    Coubii Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    13 covers on a dupe 3? INVEST IMMEDIATELY!!!
    I'm in 4 land and have almost max champed all 3*. I've decided to open dupe slot for my farm and keep my max champed 3*. That's only for my personal comfort.

To come to the question when should we champ, I've answered as soon as I can. Because if you are in 4land you have probably enough iso to champ without asking question. And you will avoid this bug where it ask which power level to downgrade when you add an additional cover on your newly champ.
  • Ptahhotep
    Ptahhotep Posts: 428 Mover and Shaker
    Wait until you have x saved covers (please comment on your x and reasoning)
    I never champ until I have at least one saved cover. Then, if I need the LT I will invest the iso. Otherwise, I will do it when I need to sell the maxed version to free up a roster slot.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd also add PVE yellow nodes.  Sometimes you get shackled with a very tinykitty 4*.  And in those cases, a max-champed 3* will very often do the heavy lifting and that can make a huge difference in clear times.
    Like Talos in the current Simulator yellow node?  :( That team of him, Colossus, and Storm is awful.
  • spidyjedi84
    spidyjedi84 Posts: 514 Critical Contributor
    Dormammu said:
    I'd also add PVE yellow nodes.  Sometimes you get shackled with a very tinykitty 4*.  And in those cases, a max-champed 3* will very often do the heavy lifting and that can make a huge difference in clear times.
    Like Talos in the current Simulator yellow node?  :( That team of him, Colossus, and Storm is awful.
    Just reiterates why the next 4-star I'm chasing is Thanos, not Talos.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Dormammu said:
    Yes, it's awful and he's awful. Bummer.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think the best solution here would be for the devs to realize the game's moved beyond the system they initially implemented.  The question of whether or not you should rebuilt a 3*, whether selling the original or making a second, really shouldn't be a question.  

They should just make a system where you can apply additional covers to an already maxchamped character, not giving additional levels, but just cycling through a set of rewards roughly comparable to the ones given for the last 10 champ levels.
    I've said this before, or just have the champ rewards reset.
    Keep the 3* at max level, but you "prestige" the character, for want of a better phrase, and the champ rewards reset and we can earn them over again.

Would be nice to eventually free up 40 roster spaces taken up by my 3* dupes...
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,081 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have ravaged my 3* max champs to try and boost my 4* roster. To be honest I kind of regret it, even though I almost never use the 3s for anything. I had them all max champed at least once, sold them off as soon as I rostered a dupe. 

Its just a slog reinvesting in these 3s afterwards and they don’t pay off again for a long time. I would definitely have at least 50 saved covers in the future before letting go of a max champ. 

On on the other hand, it feels impossible to generate enough ISO to maintain meaningful progress in 4* land at the current release schedule, so I’m not sure what the alternative is.

• BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    13 covers on a dupe 3? INVEST IMMEDIATELY!!!
    You should definitely prioritize the characters that are going to have immediate roster impact, and a baby champ when you already have a 266 version will rarely fit that criteria. However you eventually get to a point where you champing your next dupe 3 is a much closer target than covering that newish 4-star, due to dilution. My dupe 3-cap just reached 266, which I sold to re-roster another one who's at 0/1/2 currently. I'm almost willing to bet money that without bonus heroing him, he's going to end up fully covered before 

Talos - 0/0/5
    Magik - 2/0/3
    Ronin - 1/2/2
    Thanos - 2/2/1
    Namor - 0/3/0
    Bishop - 0/1/2

At that point what would really be the benefit in waiting to champ my dupe? Might as well expand that potential pool of rewards and making getting the CP and LTs to pull these characters that much easier. 
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    You should definitely prioritize the characters that are going to have immediate roster impact, and a baby champ when you already have a 266 version will rarely fit that criteria. However you eventually get to a point where you champing your next dupe 3 is a much closer target than covering that newish 4-star, due to dilution. My dupe 3-cap just reached 266, which I sold to re-roster another one who's at 0/1/2 currently. I'm almost willing to bet money that without bonus heroing him, he's going to end up fully covered before 

Talos - 0/0/5
    Magik - 2/0/3
    Ronin - 1/2/2
    Thanos - 2/2/1
    Namor - 0/3/0
    Bishop - 0/1/2

At that point what would really be the benefit in waiting to champ my dupe? Might as well expand that potential pool of rewards and making getting the CP and LTs to pull these characters that much easier. 
    Your (very good) comments just hammer home the need for the devs to step up and deal with the 2-3-4 feeder progression cluster-kitty. SO many 4*s have no feeders, it's ridiculous. There's a lot of justified discussion regarding the need for 5* feeders but the mach-speed dilution in the 4* tier (not to mention the huge number of players in it) makes the magnitude of the problem far worse...
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    jp1 said:
    On on the other hand, it feels impossible to generate enough ISO to maintain meaningful progress in 4* land at the current release schedule, so I’m not sure what the alternative is.
    Doing full progression in PvE (including DDQ) with intercepts is about the only way to champ faster than they release and make steady progress. But you're right, it takes forever to champ the 4-star tier. I only recently got them all champed (other than the most recent 3) and it took years.
  • Ares76
    Ares76 Posts: 227 Tile Toppler
    I have all 4-stars champed except 15 chars with multiple saved covers who are waiting for iso. I have 36 3-stars max-champed with the other 11 remaining in the 260ies. I believe a max-champed 3-star is a great advantage in PvP and PvE. It even accelerates some Behemoth Burritos in DDQ when your unchamped 4-star is meh. Champing all 4-stars is my priority right now. I champ one roughly every 12 days. Normally it's a 4-star with 10 saved covers which already gives 2 Legendary tokens. When I am finished with the 4-star tier in a few months my rostered 3-star dupes will probably have enough covers to max-champ them immideately. So it will be iso-neutral when I sell one. My highest 3-star dupes already have about 60 saved covers right now. 
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,081 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    jp1 said:
    Doing full progression in PvE (including DDQ) with intercepts is about the only way to champ faster than they release and make steady progress. But you're right, it takes forever to champ the 4-star tier. I only recently got them all champed (other than the most recent 3) and it took years.

Yeah, I do make full progression and complete DDQ. Champing 5s has been a huge resource drain. Now that I have eight of them done I can get back to my 4s. I have all but the lowest tier 4s champed (except Coulson) and everyone fully covered with 10-30 saved on most.

Selling my max champ 3s did allow me to champ seven 4s at once, which in turn allowed me to cover more 5s due to champ rewards windfall.

I have been feeling the effects of those missing max champ 3s in DDQ and PVP. I’m pretty casual in PVP, still it is much less fun with an unchamped dupe.
  • Twomp_thaDJ
    Twomp_thaDJ Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    My low iso number is 1 mil so I’m always have iso available.. so I don’t rush to champ them.. I just champed 4 right now to get the LTs in hopes of pulling a BH Thanos for this dang shield training coming up.. (I didn’t pull any Thanos FYI)
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,390 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't have a definitive strategy yet...

First of all, a bunch of the better 3*'s I try to hold on to without selling (like Strange, Thanos) and just let the dupe save covers until I'm either post-ISO (hah, right.. like that's gonna happen any time soon :sweat_smile: ) or until they reach max saved at which point I can recycle them.

For the trash tier 3*s, I sell and rechamp immediately after reaching 13 covers. 

For the big field in between, I try to get at least 20-40 more covers until the maxed one is recycled, but I sometimes do it earlier if I need the space or resources.