when to buy a mid tier 5* champ?

Vhailorx
Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
edited May 2019 in MPQ General Discussion
My 5BW is 3/5/4.  My 4BW is 273.

So 7 more champ levels will get me a new 5* champ.  Alternately, I could buy a cover today for 250cp and champ her immediately.

Champing today will cost me ~10 champ level rewards (call it 5-10cp, a few hundred HP, and a few K xp) and 4* covers (of which 1 or 2 might be valuable to me if I can pull more recent 4*s that I still need to get up to 209).  I would also be able to change up my 4* BH choice, which might help me target my most needed 4*s.

A champed 5BW would be a marginal addition to my 5* bench (I have thorkoye for most things and Thanos for fast grinding, plus several more decent 5*s). So I would not expect much use from her.

Is this a worthwhile investment (from an optimal usage of resources persepctive)?  Or should I sit tight and keep 4BW as my BH choice.

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,388 Chairperson of the Boards
    If it was 27 champ levels, I'd maybe say buy the cover. But since it's "only" 7, I'd encourage you to stick it out.
  • justsing
    justsing Posts: 507 Critical Contributor
    No point in wasting the CP when you’re not going to use her. Also, 7 more champ levels won’t take that long.
  • bundles87
    bundles87 Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    Agree with everyone else here. You'd almost never use her outside of her boosted PVE which we're halfway through. The 7 levels will come eventually, if you want to BH other 4s I'd say just do it and not even prioritize champing BW5.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    No way.  If you were talking about Thor, Ok, Kitty, Thanos then we could have a interesting discussion.  For BW, I would just BH 4* BW and run with it. No point in wasting CPs for somebody that won’t be boosted again for months.  
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Also, that 5* Black Widow is perfectly capable of holding her own while she's boosted without resorting to dropping that much CP.  Softcapping her and getting her up 545 will be huge, even just in match damage, in most CLs. (CL9 excluded depending on who else you have to use.)

• Vhailorx
    No way.  If you were talking about Thor, Ok, Kitty, Thanos then we could have a interesting discussion.  For BW, I would just BH 4* BW and run with it. No point in wasting CPs for somebody that won’t be boosted again for months.  
    Well, for Thor/okoye/kitty/Thanos, I think the answer is obviously a "yes" and thus not very interesting  (except maybe for Thor, who is arguably better left under leveled if you have 5 green covers but don't have okoye).
    But any of those characters would get regular usage on just about any roster.

But IMO, the more interesting choices are the next tier 5*s like DD, hela, JJ, Hawkeye (and maybe GED and a few others). These are definitely good characters, but still might not see much use if someone has meta teams, so the marginal value may not justify 250cp.

5BW seems a bit below that level.  She can hit very hard, but her contingencies are difficult to satisfy, and she needs a battery.

In the end, I am probably a bit tempted by the novelty of a new 5*, since I don't get them very often.  But waiting is likely the smart play.

• AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    I spent 250 CP buying dr strange when he was featured a few weeks ago. He was at 12/13 and there was no word on a feeder so I just bit the bullet. 

Personally i I would class him as having higher utility than 5* BW so in that scenario it was worth it for me. If I was in your shoes with a lower tier character who has a feeder who, in turn, is not that far from delivering the cover you need I wouldn’t spend the CP. 

it’s an interesting question, where do you draw the line. In my case I have DD, Thor, Phoenix and civil war Cap at 12/13 covers. I would spend 250CP on either DD or Thor today if possible even though I’m only 12-15 levels away from either of their feeders dropping the 13th covers. I wouldn’t bother for the other two though. 
  • Vhailorx
    AXP_isme said:
    I spent 250 CP buying dr strange when he was featured a few weeks ago. He was at 12/13 and there was no word on a feeder so I just bit the bullet. 

Personally i I would class him as having higher utility than 5* BW so in that scenario it was worth it for me. If I was in your shoes with a lower tier character who has a feeder who, in turn, is not that far from delivering the cover you need I wouldn’t spend the CP. 

it’s an interesting question, where do you draw the line. In my case I have DD, Thor, Phoenix and civil war Cap at 12/13 covers. I would spend 250CP on either DD or Thor today if possible even though I’m only 12-15 levels away from either of their feeders dropping the 13th covers. I wouldn’t bother for the other two though. 
    Yeah, it is a somewhat squishy line, as it depends on the rest of your 5* roster. 

The true meta characters are all easily 'worth it.'. So Thor, okoye, Thanos, kitty.  and the trash tiers are clearly not (wasp, KP, doc oc, banner).  But it's the big middle class that's harder to judge.

GED is a solid 5* for sustainability.  But if you have someone like DD already, then chasing doom may not make as much sense.

The good second tier 5*s (DD, strange, hela, JJ, etc), probably make sense for people who are trying to build a good 5* bench.  But for those with established, "good enough" 5* rooters, spending lots of cp on these characters may not be an optical use of resources.