Danger Room

JSP869
JSP869 Posts: 820 Critical Contributor
The Danger Room is a persistent "event" with a single node. It offers no prizes of any kind, and the node can be replayed as often as the player wants. Just as with Versus/PvP events, the player cannot receive Bonus Rewards from winning a match in the Danger Room.

A Danger Room match is unlike any other event/match in that the players themselves choose their opponents, from one to three of any characters in the game, including non-playable Boss characters.

The player will first choose their own team of one to three characters from their own roster. Sorry, folks. The Danger Room will not be a free way to try out the latest 5*s, not if you don't already have them.

After choosing their team, the player then chooses their opponent(s), again from one to three characters, and the Danger Room will automatically set the opponent's level based on the strength of the player's team, however, the player may choose to lower or raise their opponent's level, and may even change the spec/build of their opponents before beginning the match.

As the Danger Room would be akin to a simulation, all health earned and all damage taken while fighting in the Danger Room would not be permanent. Even characters with a true heal (Okoye, etc.) would not keep any health they may have gained while fighting in the Danger Room, so the Danger Room could not be used as a means to heal characters and save on health kits.

Likewise, any damage received, including being downed, would also not be permanent, and so you could not use the Danger Room to bring Thor down to 50% prior to doing clears or shield hopping ;)

After beating MEHulk in Cinema Showdown with Scarlet Witch, of all characters. I have six Champion 5*s, and yet I beat MEHulk with a lowly 3*. But after the match was over, I was curious how Iceman or 3* Daredevil may have fared against MEHulk, except the Cinema Showdown nodes are locked after beating them. Also Iceman and Daredevil aren't Avengers so I couldn't have used them against MEHulk anyway.

But if I had a Danger Room...I could pit Iceman or Daredevil against MEHulk. Or any other character/team (on my roster) against any other character/team. Not for rewards or points or anything, but just for fun. Just to see if I could win. Because some of my most enjoyable, most satisfying matches were not when I crushed my opponent with Hafthor and Okoye, but when I accidentally took my 1* team (50 Spider-Man, level 1 Storm & Widow) into Under the Sea, and prevailed. It was when I played CL9 Story with a CL8 team, when matches sometimes took 10 minutes, or longer, because I had to carefully think about my moves, which opponent I should be targeting, whose powers I should be using and against which opponent, and so on. Where one wrong move could and sometimes did cost me the match. But when I won? It was ridiculously satisfying!

Yes, it can be fun to just steamroll an opponent, but it's also a lot of fun to scratch out a win against a much stronger team.

And the game SHOULD be fun. Because if it's not fun, why should we play it?

A Danger Room would allow us to have fun playing with characters in our roster that we normally never use.

Credit to @MorganWick for pointing out when I asked to be able to replay the Cinema Showdown nodes that what I really wanted was a Danger Room: https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/comment/875674/#Comment_875674