Cap on points lost in defeat (PvP)

I would like to see a maximum set for points that can be lost from being successfully attacked in PvP. I'm not saying change the gain at all for the player who attacked but just make it so you cant lose so many points from so few attacks when you have done all the work to get ahead to begin with. Even if the cap is set at say 20 it would be much more manageable for players who put in the effort early.

Thanks for your time.

Comments

• I agree. It sucks when you get hit by someone as their "golden egg" and lose 50 points. Oh sure I can retaliate and get back some points. All 10 of them. Afterwards they will retaliate against me for another 50 point loss. It makes it incredibly difficult to try and get any amount high end points. Which of course is required with the new (and stupid) mmr based bracket system.
  • LegallyUndead
    LegallyUndead Posts: 8 Just Dropped In
    Tonight, I lost 433 points total after 4 consecutive fights. I went from #12 to somewhere in the #60s. I broke my shield to push up a little with a half hour to go, and ended up basically being everyone's punching bag.

What kind of game encourages people not to play it?
  • tbighead21
    tbighead21 Posts: 131 Tile Toppler

What kind of game encourages people not to play it?

Exactly! There should be a cap on points lost or at least make the rematch worth almost the same points that were lost.
  • I'm not sure this should be a "thing"... If you lose 50 points but can only gain 10, don't fight back, it's not worth it... Or is accepting defeat something you don't like to do icon_e_wink.gif
    The win to loss record in any one event is terrible, you could win 100 matches and gain 5000 points, but you will more than likely lose 250 and lose 4900 points and finish the event with 100 points... I don't quite understand the logic of allowing any one player be hoarded with defeats so close to an event end, but there is nothing we can do about it short of leveling up Punisher, Thor, Hulk and/or Spider-man, to the max.
  • I'm high in Shield Training (want the Spidey yellow cover, so I had no choice).

When some guys "find me" they hit me several times in a row, in less than half an hour. I am shielded because otherwise, I would have lost about 1200 points in the last 3 days, when I could only make 300.

I'm only 2 points away from 3000, just hope I can reach them.

I've used a lot of boosts and shields so as to reach that goal... Truly expensive.
  • Aidonis
    Aidonis Posts: 87 Match Maker
    How about a certain threshold before they can "see" you. Like if you are at 1000, they have to be above 800 before you can be attacked. I would also say there needs to be some sort of cool down timer (internally) where you can only be attacked so many times in a given time frame. Fighting one match for 20 points, only to come out to have lost 100 is absurd.
  • Aidonis wrote:
    How about a certain threshold before they can "see" you. Like if you are at 1000, they have to be above 800 before you can be attacked. I would also say there needs to be some sort of cool down timer (internally) where you can only be attacked so many times in a given time frame. Fighting one match for 20 points, only to come out to have lost 100 is absurd.

This used to be exactly the way things worked. Part of their attempt to guarantee that everyone had valuable matches available to fight was the change to this method, such that now people can see you from waaaaay under you. I think there is generally less incidence of running out of viable targets now, but we purchased it at the price of routine 40 or 50 point losses from people just starting out.
  • Moon 17 wrote:
    This used to be exactly the way things worked. Part of their attempt to guarantee that everyone had valuable matches available to fight was the change to this method, such that now people can see you from waaaaay under you. I think there is generally less incidence of running out of viable targets now, but we purchased it at the price of routine 40 or 50 point losses from people just starting out.

Was there ever a request from players to change it to the way it is now? Or was it just an experiment by the devs
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    CelciusDJ wrote:
    Moon 17 wrote:

Was there ever a request from players to change it to the way it is now? Or was it just an experiment by the devs

There was a time where MMR bubbles were one of the most complained about things on the forums. While you still hear about them occasionally now, it's almost exclusively geared towards the really high point areas, where it's more due to the number of unshielded players at high point thresholds being incredibly rare.

When it was implemented, the idea was two-fold:
    • It made it so that you could always find somebody outside of your own MMR bubble (and also possibly use it to escape your bubble), so you couldn't get stuck in a bubble anymore...at least when you're already not at the very tippity top of the overall points range.
    • It made it so a small group of people couldn't separate themselves so far away from the rest of the pack that only the people in the pack would be able to queue each other. While the old implementation of shields exacerbated this to a very large degree...what would happen is that you would have people up in the 2000+ point range that rarely ever got attacked, while people in the 900ish points range got attacked constantly. The meta of the PvP game at the time was to reach "escape velocity" during off-hours, and then you were 'safe' from the hoard. Many PvP brackets would have standings that looked like: 1st - 2400, 2nd - 2300, 3rd - 950, blah blah blah, and so there was a very large difference in scores between those who had reached "escape velocity" and those that did not. With being able to actually find those 2400 point players from 900-land, it would smooth the curve out tremendously.
    • Arguably, the change in shield implementation is the bigger reason as to why those sorts of bracket scores no longer exist, but the ability to find opponents much higher than you stuck around.
  • Nemek wrote:
    There was a time where MMR bubbles were one of the most complained about things on the forums. While you still hear about them occasionally now, it's almost exclusively geared towards the really high point areas, where it's more due to the number of unshielded players at high point thresholds being incredibly rare.

When it was implemented, the idea was two-fold:
    • It made it so that you could always find somebody outside of your own MMR bubble (and also possibly use it to escape your bubble), so you couldn't get stuck in a bubble anymore...at least when you're already not at the very tippity top of the overall points range.
    • It made it so a small group of people couldn't separate themselves so far away from the rest of the pack that only the people in the pack would be able to queue each other. While the old implementation of shields exacerbated this to a very large degree...what would happen is that you would have people up in the 2000+ point range that rarely ever got attacked, while people in the 900ish points range got attacked constantly. The meta of the PvP game at the time was to reach "escape velocity" during off-hours, and then you were 'safe' from the hoard. Many PvP brackets would have standings that looked like: 1st - 2400, 2nd - 2300, 3rd - 950, blah blah blah, and so there was a very large difference in scores between those who had reached "escape velocity" and those that did not. With being able to actually find those 2400 point players from 900-land, it would smooth the curve out tremendously.
    • Arguably, the change in shield implementation is the bigger reason as to why those sorts of bracket scores no longer exist, but the ability to find opponents much higher than you stuck around.

I can see how the old system was still an issue, I would still like to stick with my original argument with changing how much you can lose from taking one hit. It would be nice if getting in early was a viable option.
  • yogi_
    yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    Disheartening to lose points on top of more points and then ranks. I could have had my 2nd Daken cover, again, but just kept getting massacred. It would be good if there was some sort of limit.
  • Another option might be if the loss was equal to half the gain (rounded up), that way the cap would automatically be set to 25
  • Vohnkar
    Vohnkar Posts: 158 Tile Toppler
    I agree there should be some kind of top to the lost points. I usually dont play at the end of the events, I'm shielded. Today I was able to play and when I finally get to 750 points and top 20 got smashed. I usually don't get too many attacks while shielded, maybe 5 attacks for 100-200 points, but today its been a pain, I've been climbing while being attacked from 350 points (had 400+ last night), and then all of a sudden when only 12 mins left to the end of the event I got attacked for -70 points, try to play another game and even winning 27 points a get -68 again... In 10 mins I've lost 300+ points. Next time i'll shield :S I though I would be able to pass this event without a shield for 1 time, seems not. trying to save those 75 hp from a 3h shield costed me a psylock cover, 50 hps and 2k+ isos in boosts >< shame on me.
  • I say just do away with it entirely. I shouldn't be punished AT ALL for "losing" matches the AI played on my behalf, especially considering how the rules of the game favor the active player (i.e. they can attack whoever they want, while the AI can only attack the last character the active player used, except with AOE powers) and how dumb the AI is (e.g. never taking right-angle 5-point matches, matching away its own special tiles, etc). If PVP matches were played in real time with actual players on both sides, then sure, punishing the loser would make sense.
  • Completely agree with The Gas. There are teams that work really well when used by a human that the AI plays terribly. PVP has become nothing but everybody using the same exact teams.
  • I do understand why the system was changed... but yes, I very much agree, this has become a huge problem. I keep ending up in the same bracket as people with several lvl 141 characters and being used as point-spewing punching bag - where's the fun in that? You play 2 or 3 matches and come back two hours later only to see that you've had twice as much taken from you by opponents who are virtually unbeatable at your own level.
    PLEASE fix that bloody MMR, and while you're at it, I'd appreciate if you did something about this particular issue too. Thanks!
  • After just losing over 100 points from 3 attacks in Cage Match I feel I need to stress this issue again. Only being able to gain back 10 or 20 points from hitting back again just isn't enough after putting in the effort of breaking ahead with more than 24 hours to go in the event. Please don't ignore this issue D3
  • Capping points is an idea. But why do the same people keep attacking?

On the Caged Match PVP event, there was one player who had way stronger covers who kept attacking me every time I skipped him/her. To stop being attacked from that person, I had to stop skipping that opponent... just left that red marked opponent as it was.

With such a huge pool of players, you really shouldn't be allowed to attack the same person twice. This 'flaw' allows a heavy hitter to farm points out of an intermediate player who has a decent score.

Currently MMR is out of whack. It is best suited for newbs and the pro players who have plenty of high level covers.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    prash wrote:
    Capping points is an idea. But why do the same people keep attacking?

On the Caged Match PVP event, there was one player who had way stronger covers who kept attacking me every time I skipped him/her. To stop being attacked from that person, I had to stop skipping that opponent... just left that red marked opponent as it was.
    You know that leaving that mark has nothing to do with people being able to attack you?
    You probably stopped being a juicy target for that player, that's why the attacks stopped.
  • I ranted about it this morning already, but here I go again: It really gets frustrating when you play to regain your losses (about 100 pts in my case), then win something like 45, only to be hit again for 30, and on it went like that. In the end I had damaged and downed a fair number of my own characters and only marginally more points than before I started. You can't get anywhere that way. icon_evil.gif
    Also, my opponents tend to have MUCH stronger characters than me. Why match up someone with no higher character levels than 100 with an opponent with more than one lvl 141? It's just not fair.