Marginal value of a 5* champion level

Vhailorx
Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
I am not sure how to value of buying very good h4h covers for 5* champs.  So assume a player's highest 5* is a now useless Gambit  at ~460, then what is the value of getting okoye to, say, level 452, as opposed to saving those resources for a hoard that might build the next great 5* in several months' time.  (Note, these details are hypothetical, but I think they are representative of this problem as applied to lots of vets with non-complete 5* rosters).

This cost/benefit jidgment is not obvious to me.  How are others valuing these options?

Comments

• Team_Jacob
    Team_Jacob Posts: 90 Match Maker
    It's obvious to me that with the current MMR/ PVE set up that additional champ levels are nearly useless. I would love to have a 550 5* that could just burn through events, but the marginal speed increase you get is pretty small. I used to fight PVP matches where my opponent would have 20+ champ levels on my champs, but I almost never see that anymore. 

The only time I would encourage it is if you could get Okoye to tank for a squishier character like 1/2 thor. 

That being said, I have a 456 Strange and Thanos, and they do hit harder on their passives, I'm not sure how much more hard a 500 level one would hit. 

• randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    All depends on the 5*.  The value at 250 cp for a black Okoye cover is massive if that gets your Okoye to a playable level.  She changes the game. 

If you already have Okoye champed, I don’t see the value.  Maybe if it makes Okoye tank.

All depends on what you need.  Value in the eyes of the player.
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor

That being said, I have a 456 Strange and Thanos, and they do hit harder on their passives, I'm not sure how much more hard a 500 level one would hit. 

The difference in 40+ champ levels on passives is noticeable for sure.  But 1 single level in the grand scheme is definitely inconsequential.  For 250 cp, a 5* cover to finish to finish a toon is worthwhile (especially a high end 5*);  but I don’t think I’d advocate that same price for a single champ level.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Obviously, the bar for good value is higher for a champ level than for cover 13.  So perhaps the more refined question is "when, if ever, is a 5* champ level valuable?"

It seems to me that some 5* benefit significantly from champ levels.  Characters like okoye, SS, OML, GED, Loki, and especially daredevil are made more valuable when you can exploit their true healing.  So the marginal utility of each champ level for them is higher.

Other 5*s benefit somewhat from champ levels, like Thanos, BB, or strange, because their passives become stronger. But they also tend not to be characters that you want to tank if you can avoid it, so the value is diminished.

Finally, there are a few 5*s that you really don't want levels for at all (like Thor) because they are significantly better when they don't tank.

So first off I would say that the true healers are really the only ones for whom chasing champ levels seem valuable at all.

For everyone else, champ levels are ok if they happen, but not worth any significant expense.

Case in point, there was recently a specialty store with thanos/strange in it.  On a whim, I spent 125c0 on the store and got 3 champ levels (2 for Thanos and 1 for strange).  That's fantastic ROI on 5 pulls, so I hate to complain.  But I am not sure how much utility I got from those pulls.  My Thanos does marginally more damage, but doesn't really kill anything now that he couldn't kill before.  And my strange still tanks blue more often that I would like.  So it's hard to feel bad for having those levels, but also hard to feel like they materially benefited my game experience. 
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,894 Chairperson of the Boards
    For me, I don’t think I’d ever spend 250 CP on a champ level even if it was the one needed for Okoye to tank for Thor. I think part of the value of the HfH deal is knowing the exact color you’ll get. Once you champ, the colors no longer matter. They’re all just levels. Thus, I would hoard and wait for one of the many pop-up stores and spend there instead. Even if you spend a little more for the champ level you get the chance at more 4s, champ levels, other 5s, and even bonus heroes. Since color doesn’t matter; any Okoye you pull is usable and essentially will serve the same function. But you’ll get more “stuff” along the way. 
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,244 Chairperson of the Boards
    It might be worth considering that a 550 character is basically 2X the strength of a 450.  So essentially each cover you apply adds 1% of the 450 numbers to the character.

I wouldn't spend 250 CP on a single cover unless it pushed someone to a crucial tanking position, like say over Thor.

It seems to me your better solution is bonusing the character you want to add a cover to, or their feeder. 
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    You only start to notice a significant boost every 10 champ levels or so on a 5*.

As noted before, there are also characters who don't get much of a boost besides health/match damage, choose wisely.

Buying covers with CP towards such a goal is not a good idea. It's really more to finish covering a character.
  • Richyyy
    Richyyy Posts: 305 Mover and Shaker
    Yeah, I have the annoyance of my Okoye doing 88/80 damage on blue/purple, while Thor does 89/81 on those colors. But one level isn't going to make enough difference to fix that. It does mean that if Okoye's in a special store with other 5*s I'm interested in then a run of covers for her wouldn't be a bad thing, but 250cp for a specific one definitely doesn't seem worth it.
  • Projectus2501
    Projectus2501 Posts: 218 Tile Toppler
    To spend or to hoard cp post championing is a choice. I guess it depends on each player. Personally I enjoy the slow build of all heroes at the same time.