What 5s to set for bonus heroes?

tonypq
tonypq Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
Which of these 5s would you set to bonus heroes ?

Thanos 9, OML 11, IM 8, BP 8, Gambit 5, DD 5.

I've been hoarding since last March, have over 300 pulls for LLs. Even know I hate 5Carol with a passion with her putrid CD/repeaters and lousy power set, not sure I can hoard any longer. I'm a Doom fan and like Hela, so I might go for it.

I was curious which of my 5s you would suggest setting as bonus heroes. OML I figure I will finish when the covers I need are available for purchase. Then I wasn't sure to set someone like Thanos who's regarded as a great 5 since he's mostly covered, or other good but lesser covered 5s like Gambit or Panther. To get them to a more effective level with more covers and to a point it would make sense to level them a bit and actually use them.

If anyone has a strong case to make to keep hoarding chime in please. I know these current trio of 5s in LL store have color overlaps and of course Carol being extremely mediocre in general. 

Comments

• Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    Set you bh to the 5* your most likely to use.  Of that list it’s really between thanos and DD.   There really  isn’t a compelling reason to use anyone else on that list.
  • Glockoma
    Glockoma Posts: 555 Critical Contributor
    You have no meta 5 targeted for pvp. I don’t know how you feel about that. Some people can make it work, most have to work for it. Just consider that before you pull and put yourself in a whole new arena (pvp-wise).
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,101 Chairperson of the Boards
    I suppose part of it would be where you are with the applicable feeder 4* characters where you'll be able to acquire covers there also. If you are going to chase a particular 5* and they have a feeder that is near spitting out a cover then you could combo BH both for a higher chance of getting more covers from your unhoarding.
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 1,018 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd go with Thanos. I don't get too deep into the meta, but Thanos is just fun.
  • Ed_Dragonrider
    Ed_Dragonrider Posts: 591 Critical Contributor
    As im only in 3*/4* transition i dont think i can give good advice, although to me it would make sense to wait until at least the next 5* is announced, as you would still have a few weeks to fully unload if you chose to.

I do however have a genuine question even if it may seem naive or stupid. Why set your BH(s) to older stuff and not what you are chasing?
    If you're a Doom fan and want him (and Hela), why not BH Doom, pull until he is covered (as fast as possible with the added bh) and then stop, wait till CM leaves, then repeat for Hela... BHing GED would mean needing less pulls for him, meaning less risk of getting the despised CM covers... 

I know covering old 5*s is difficult, but there have been a lot of special legendary stores lately, surely using the same bh method in one of those that have what you're after would give you quicker results?
  • tonypq
    edited April 2019
     I no longer hardcore pvp, left my competitive alliance months ago and play mainly for fun, though I could rejoin at some point, so I don't want to screw myself setting lousy 5s to BH. Currently I just do pve, if I do pvp it's just to hit the minimum needed to the CPs. Also I haven't been cover chasing any feeders recently but I should look into it certainly.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanos is a big time saver in Pve, especially if you aren't worried about saving health packs . 
  • randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    PVE....  Thanos.

If you care about health packs, you could finish off that OML.  I'm still kind of surprised how much of him I see in PVP.
  • tonypq
    My Thor and Okoye both only have 2 covers. 

I probably shouldn't bother setting either to BH ?

Would seem like my best bet for them would be when they appear in a special store or covers for purchase. I wasn't sure if they are still pretty viable with a few covers on each ability or if they need to be fully covered to be worth using. 
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    As im only in 3*/4* transition i dont think i can give good advice, although to me it would make sense to wait until at least the next 5* is announced, as you would still have a few weeks to fully unload if you chose to.

I do however have a genuine question even if it may seem naive or stupid. Why set your BH(s) to older stuff and not what you are chasing?
    If you're a Doom fan and want him (and Hela), why not BH Doom, pull until he is covered (as fast as possible with the added bh) and then stop, wait till CM leaves, then repeat for Hela... BHing GED would mean needing less pulls for him, meaning less risk of getting the despised CM covers... 

I know covering old 5*s is difficult, but there have been a lot of special legendary stores lately, surely using the same bh method in one of those that have what you're after would give you quicker results?
    That’s more or less what I did. A couple of my GE Dooms came from BH. Now it’s set to Hela. 
  • Jwallyr
    Jwallyr Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    Do you not have Kitty at a useful level? She seems like one of the easiest 5s on which to build a pvp or pve team. If you have her even halfway developed I'd BH her and get her rolling.

If you don't care about PvP at all, I guess you can hold off on Thor or Okoye until you are where you want on a pve team. From what I hear, Thanos is a mainstay for fast pve clears. I don't know if Black Panther's stun-triggered-damage is still relevant at high end pve, but he might be a second to chase (or he might not if you have other fast options) for pve. Kitty would be my next recommendation, with Grocket to speed up those first clears.

For PvP... Thorkoye and Kitty are the most popular options of which I'm aware there. The earlier you start on them, the earlier you'll be finished... and whether you're pulling LTs or from a release store that may have one or more of them in it, having the BH parked on one of those 3 will get you further toward a usable character than setting it on someone you don't actually care about.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    I pulled 250 pulls and got Hela champed and what I would suggest is to bonus hero Doom and or Hela.  If you are looking to champ the latest 3 Doom is going out first so you want to make sure you get enough covers for him. If you get Doom champed you can stop and wait for Marvel to leave then pull again to finish Hela off and hopefully max out another 5*.

i have a little over 100 pulls right now and when Doom leaves I will pull till I get one of the newest 5* then hold till Marvel is out.  I should then have over 300 again so I can get more levels for Hela and load up on the new 5*.

from 300 pulls you might get 1-3 bonus heroes for 5* if that so you want to make them count 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,388 Chairperson of the Boards
    I figure my odds are better just chasing latest moving forward, and then using the feeder system in the background to push over well-covered classics.

I've been trying to pull as a I go to champ 5s as they come out since Kingpin hit latest, and so far I got Cable to 10 covers and Kingpin to 11. I have what feels like a good headstart on Doom with 4/1/4. I still haven't decided if it's going to work out. @Daredevil217 has suggested I skip every 3rd release, which I think would make it more likely for sure, but I kind of want to stay as up on everyone as I can. I figure if they all hit 11-12 as they leave latest, eventually the feeders will catch up, right?

• tonypq
    So I decided to go for a few pulls, had really good luck at first where every other pull seemed to be a 5, for the first 20 pulls or so. I think I had about 168 LL tokens and over 3k CPs or around 312 pulls to work with. Because I was having such good luck I kept pulling. At some point it felt like D3 slammed the door shut on getting any more 5s heh. I decided to keep going though as I got to a point where I was 1 cover away from finishing Doom. Once I got the cover I was then 3 covers or so away from finishing Hela.

Ended up you guessed it max covering Carol first lol, was kind of my nightmare scenario going into the pulls. I debated stopping fearing I'd continue to get duplicate covers for Carol and not enough Doom and Hela to finish them. I ended up fully covering Doom and Hela thankfully. 

As far as bonus heroes I got my first 2 Kitty covers and 2 for Thanos bringing him up to 11 covers now. I'm left with 678 CPs. I believe over the 288 or so I pulls I got about 15 Doom covers, 13 Hela, and around 15 Carols, plus 4 bonus 5s. Going into my pulls I had just 1 Doom, 1 or 2 Carol's and no Helas. Seems like I did ok for myself and can save my CPs and LLs I get here on out, build another hoard for something down the road.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    tonypq said:
    So I decided to go for a few pulls, had really good luck at first where every other pull seemed to be a 5, for the first 20 pulls or so. I think I had about 168 LL tokens and over 3k CPs or around 312 pulls to work with. Because I was having such good luck I kept pulling. At some point it felt like D3 slammed the door shut on getting any more 5s heh. I decided to keep going though as I got to a point where I was 1 cover away from finishing Doom. Once I got the cover I was then 3 covers or so away from finishing Hela.

Ended up you guessed it max covering Carol first lol, was kind of my nightmare scenario going into the pulls. I debated stopping fearing I'd continue to get duplicate covers for Carol and not enough Doom and Hela to finish them. I ended up fully covering Doom and Hela thankfully. 

As far as bonus heroes I got my first 2 Kitty covers and 2 for Thanos bringing him up to 11 covers now. I'm left with 678 CPs. I believe over the 288 or so I pulls I got about 15 Doom covers, 13 Hela, and around 15 Carols, plus 4 bonus 5s. Going into my pulls I had just 1 Doom, 1 or 2 Carol's and no Helas. Seems like I did ok for myself and can save my CPs and LLs I get here on out, build another hoard for something down the road.
    Congrats and enjoy the 100 level boost on Hela!
  • spatenfloot
    spatenfloot Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2019
    PVE....  Thanos.

If you care about health packs, you could finish off that OML.  I'm still kind of surprised how much of him I see in PVP.
    Daredevil is better than OML for that.