6* Chars, will they happen and what could they be?

System
System Posts: 1,031 Chairperson of the Boards
This discussion was created from comments split from: A Modest Proposal (Post-Iso).

Comments

• Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    So you guys think they will never release 6* characters? 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    The devs did announced publicly that majority of the players don't want 6*. But, it was mentioned somewhere middle of last year.

Unless majority of the players changed that mind between then and now...
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,733 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wonko33 said:
    Why this got posted on this thread....Not sure?  But here's some thoughts.

Short answer:  No.  Not in this game.

A new tier level would have to represent a significant leap forward in power to justify their existence.  There would also have to be a place to use them that players felt created a need for them such that getting them (which I assume would require significant time and money) was worth the effort and resources.

5's were introduced when the game had roster scaling for PVE, so that you were always chasing a higher level character (or alternately softcapping) while the enemy levels were always put a bit above you to create a challenge.  Eventually, though, 5's broke this because some enemies scaled almost infinitely beyond your characters so you faced insanely hard nodes if you had champed 5's.

SCLs eventually came about to allow people to choose how hard the nodes they faced are based on their roster and the rewards/covers on offer.  This simultaneously allows people to have a "good enough" roster if they want to play the game without chasing maximum resources.

Top players have Thanos, Thor, Okoye, Kitty, Rocket at their disposal and are already able to clear nodes incredibly fast.  Most would prefer UI tap reduction over 6* characters because that takes up more time than playing, almost.

These character's mechanics represent the top speed of the game; somehow creating more powerful characters than them would basically need to be 2 move wins to represent a significant step up (Supports already create 0 move wins with the right luck and Supports).

Note: Maaaybe if SCL 10 ever exists, it will create that space for 6*'s, but the rewards will probably not be much better than what we have now, so it will probably disappoint players.

So my question is:  What need do you have as a player that a 6* tier would fill?
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor

bluewolf said:
    Wonko33 said:
    Why this got posted on this thread....Not sure?  But here's some thoughts.

it was posted here because someone who thought 6* would eventually come out could think that this is what all the piled up ISO will be used for.

• tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    So we are now making new topics from stuff posted in necro threads? If this was a standalone topic it would probably get moved to feedback and suggestions. I'm not sure I understand the rules on these forums.
  • Richyyy
    Richyyy Posts: 305 Mover and Shaker
    It's already so freaking hard to acquire and build 5*s that adding another tier on top would seem nonsensical without a huge reconstruction of the current system. What are they going to do, add a new token that costs 1000CP per draw for a 1% chance of a 6*? Or add yet another currency that you have to play 12 hours a day to build enough for one pull a month? Maybe it could happen eventually, after they've progressively made 5*s easier to add, but it seems a long way off to me at the moment.
  • crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    Well, it was about 2 years ago that I asked if we were ready for a 6* tier...at that time the response was negative but im curious if it's the same now.
    My thought then was that that they should alter the game in some way, not just be a stronger tier.  I still feel this way, like bluewolf said, a more powerful tier would...what...allow you to win without the battle screen even having to load?
    The main reason I want a 6* tier is to give me something to continue to aspire towards that actually impacts my roster/game experience in some fashion. I don't have a ton of 5* champs, but among them are have thorkoye, Kitty, and a leveled 5-2-3 thanos that makes scl9 a piece of cake.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    First one will probably be something like Stingray or Madam Masque or Absorbing Man or something. Just to really, really annoy the forum.
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would not be annoyed by Absorbing Man, but I get your point.

My nominees for 6*s:
    Beyonder
    Impossible Man
    Korvac
    Uatu
  • MaxPowers
    MaxPowers Posts: 23 Just Dropped In
    6* characters will not and should not happen.

You can't just keep creating higher tiers of characters. It will inevitably fracture the player base and break the game. 

I think supports were the devs way of addressing players needs to spice up the game.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,790 Chairperson of the Boards
    If took away every single 5* character today the game would be more interesting and better for it in my opinion. Those skill sets used for 5* could still be 4* characters. Speed of pve grind would be slower, but wouldn't be hard to tweak.

So I don't see how adding 6* at this point would make the game better.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,101 Chairperson of the Boards
    Personally I would take half of the 4* tier and elevate it to being 4.5* tier (R4G is already there). 5* would still rule the roost but the gap would close a bit.
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,770 Chairperson of the Boards
    @JHawkInc

I like that.  That was one of the problems I had when just casually thinking "who was so good that they warranted a tier above Phoenix, silver surfer, etc"?

And then I thought... oh right, Okoye does!  :smiley:

But for real, the partnered characters idea works great.  Would love to see things get implemented like Colossus & wolverine,  or Venom & Carnage
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2019
    If we do eventually get 6*s, i feel we should jump a tier in characters (comic power wise).  Toss the Eternals or Celestials as your 6*s, make the mechanics fun and even a little complicated, if i am playing with Eternity , i want loads of options, maybe even 5 or 6 skills in different colors. 
  • JSP869
    JSP869 Posts: 822 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2019
    JHawkInc said:
    So the first one might be "Iron Man & War Machine." It would represent both characters (and couldn't be used with any other Iron Man variants or 4* War Machine).
    I like this, but because these 6*s would represent a duo, they'd take up two spaces on your team, so you can only run them with one other character, and that other character cannot be another 6*.

edit

Also they can only be used in PvP, not PvE, and only in a special 6* PvP, so you wouldn't be crushing puny 4* & 5* teams, you'd only be facing other 6* teams.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    We already have a 6* tier.  It’s called the level 500 5*.  They play fundamentally different than even the level 475 5*.  They even have their own MMR band, which is why some people might not have seen a 3x500 team in the wild.

But you all already got a sense of how high level rosters work based on BOP.  60k cascades are a normal experience. And any team less than 300k health is considered merely a walrus.

Even though I know power creep will eventually lead to a 6* tier,  I don’t see the need to rush for it because I can already see the path towards a level 500 5*.

Although maybe people really wants is a way to split off the high level rosters into a separate ecosystem.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    First one will probably be something like Stingray or Madam Masque or Absorbing Man or something. Just to really, really annoy the forum.
    I’d assume the first 6* would be Wolverine in his utterly weakest comic form, although the end result of annoying the forum would be the same.

@JHawkInc ideas are pretty fantastic though, so kudos.
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,081 Chairperson of the Boards
    ZootSax said:
    I’d assume the first 6* would be Wolverine in his utterly weakest comic form, although the end result of annoying the forum would be the same.

@JHawkInc ideas are pretty fantastic though, so kudos.
    Perhaps he will just be encased in adamantium. All his powers will be passive thoughts.