when to buy a JJ cover.

Vhailorx
Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
My JJ is 1/8/2.  my america is sadly only lvl 281.

Should I buy this blue cover for her?  Getting her champed will still be a torturously long path, but she is quite good. 

I don't need her as I already have thorkoye, Thanos, DD, strange, Hawkeye, PP, and Gambit champed.  But she would likely see some PvP action for my team in pvp, and she could be a meta character again if thorkoye/kitty are nerfed. 

To me this seems to be right at the outside edge of where it makes sense to direct buy.  JJ is good enough that sacrificing extra 4* covers for color certainty makes some sense, but at the same time I am far enough from champing her that it's still a very long-term play. 

Comments

• jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you want to spend the 250CP for it, then do it. Being able to advance a very solid 5* can feel a lot more satisfying than getting covers for someone ho-hum.

If you'd prefer to gamble with 10 LL pulls (or some other special store), or a dozen classic pulls, then do that instead.

Only you know where you prefer your resources to go. I've definitely spent on single covers for 5*s before to move them along. It can be slow (my Surfer is finally going to be covered by Mr F... you know... eventually), but progress on something you value in game is better than the opposite.

• brontag1
    brontag1 Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    I'd follow the rule that's done me best.. when in doubt 'hoard'.  At the rate they do specialty legend stores, she will eventually be featured again, then you can cash in that hoard for her unless something better comes along during that time.  Save your 250 for the next big thing.
  • AndiTi
    AndiTi Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    I'll admit I've been tempted too, with my JJ at 3/0/3 she's even further from champing than yours though, so I've held off. It's tempting because it could be a long time before another chance comes in a special store. 

Ultimately, the resources are there to be spent. I guess I'd think about if it would be a no brainer for you to pull from a special store if JJ was in it, and if so, I'd probably just buy since she's part of what you're saving for. Also, 10 pulls in a special store might not net you a JJ cover you can use.

I think I'd lean to buying in your shoes since you only need 2 colors and this is one of them, but I'll hold off in my case because I could use any cover I get from the next JJ offering.
  • Vhailorx
    AndiTi said:
    I'll admit I've been tempted too, with my JJ at 3/0/3 she's even further from champing than yours though, so I've held off. It's tempting because it could be a long time before another chance comes in a special store. 

Ultimately, the resources are there to be spent. I guess I'd think about if it would be a no brainer for you to pull from a special store if JJ was in it, and if so, I'd probably just buy since she's part of what you're saving for. Also, 10 pulls in a special store might not net you a JJ cover you can use.

I think I'd lean to buying in your shoes since you only need 2 colors and this is one of them, but I'll hold off in my case because I could use any cover I get from the next JJ offering.
    Yeah, I probably agree with you.

In February I bought a black cover for 1/5/5 okoye.  That was an excellent decision (I have recently champed her after getting shuri to 280). 

JJ is not quite as good as okoye, and my JJ is not quite as close to finished as my okoye was, but she is on the short list of characrers that I would consider for a direct buy for something other than a 13th cover.

Last week I posted a similar thread about chasing a 13th BE cover from the Hela tokens. But I would up deciding against it given her mediocrity. And as it happened I got a black hela with pull #5, so my 3/5/4 5BW will have to wait until 4bw hits 280.

JJ is a clear notch or two above BW, and good enough to get regular use any 5* team that isn't just using the two meta teams for every match.  So that changes the math a bit.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    I will say that JJ is really good and my favorite 5*.  While not the best 5* (like Kitty or Thor) she is really good and I don't think you will regret it when you eventually champ her.  Specific 5* covers are difficult to come by so I would say go for it.  Are those 10 4* from opening classics going to give you any more satisfaction :)
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mine's been sat at 6/2/8 for ages.
    I've even got America Chavez as a bonus hero. This wouldn't have been a problem if they hadn't bodged the feeder covers =(
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,733 Chairperson of the Boards
    The current cycle of 5Es is now about 8 months between Classics being run.  That means you'll look at close to 2 years of play before the chance to buy a blue comes along again.  I mean, why not?  She is amazingly good and I run her a lot.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,388 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've been chasing JJ via Chavez for awhile now (mine is at 4/2/3, chavez is 301), and I don't have the cp to get this deal or else I would. JJ would be my second champion 5*, so my situation is not quite the same as OP. I will say the delta between a 2 cover Damning Evidence and a 3 cover is pretty significant - no extra damage, but you get an extra AP when you match one of the tiles. That really does change things if you're trying to use her.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I wouldn't do it, no. For a 13th cover, yes, but not with your spread. You're better off doing like @brontag1 says and hoarding your CP for a special legendary store. She'll be in one before you know it.
  • St_Bernadus
    St_Bernadus Posts: 631 Critical Contributor
    My Jessica was 5-5-0 so this was an auto-buy for me. And I happy they rearranged the colors for feeder, she'll be 5-5-2 once America gets to 300.
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Time's running out... have you decided yet?
  • Vhailorx
    edited April 2019
    jackstar0 said:
    Ha, no I am still prevaricating.  But I am leaning towards no.

If it would get me to 12 or 13 covers, I would almost certainly do it.  Even 11 would be tempting.  But this would get me to 9 covers (10 if I did a 3:1 buy).  Getting even 3 more 5* covers is going to be challenging and slow at the rate I acquire resources now.

It's sad, but the old rule of thumb "when in doubt, hoard" is probably applicable here.  We will see if I feel differently at any time before the h4h offer ends tomorrow.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2019
    Vhailorx said:
    jackstar0 said:
    Ha, no I am still prevaricating.  But I am leaning towards now.

If it would get me to 12 or 13 covers, I would almost certainly do it.  Even 11 would be tempting.  But this would get me to 9 covers (10 if I did a 3:1 buy).  Getting even 3 more 5* covers is going to be challenging and slow at the rate I acquire resources now.

It's sad, but the old rule of thumb "when in doubt, hoard" is probably applicable here.  We will see if I feel differently at any time before the h4h offer ends tomorrow.
    Normally I am a proponent of hoarding, and I still do hoard (doing so at the moment) but my mind is changing when it comes to good 5* classic covers and the argument you should only do it for the 13th cover.  At some point, you still need that 9th cover before you can eventually get the 12 or 13th cover etc.  This was the only guaranteed shot you have at it for quite a long time and chances are waiting for special stores may just net you more covers of the one you already have maxed out.  This is a case where I believe the hoarding argument isn't nearly as concrete as in most cases.  What happens if you are one cover short after spending a hoard on a special store or you draw a bunch of Banner's instead of her in the special store? Your chances of getting that specific cover in 10 draws is very limited.  If you want to cover an effective classic 5*, buying their cover in HfH isn't nearly as bad as the forums think.