For 4* player moving onto 5*, use stash when Kingpin rotates out ?

tonypq
tonypq Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
edited March 2019 in MPQ General Discussion
Based on info below, would you use your stash when Kingpin rotates out in place of Hela to move into 5* realm ?

I've been building a stash for exactly a year, I've gotten towards the 300 pulls in LL store to get and possibly cover three 5s. My LL tokens and CPs are even split. Meaning I can't hit the LL store super hard with just LL tokens, I also can't hit the decent 5* stores that have popped up recently, as I need my LL tokens and CPs to keep me in the 300 pull range in LL store. 

My most covered 5s are Thanos/BP/IM/SS at 7-8 covers, OML 11, and just about every other 5 at 3 covers or less. I play casually now due to MPQ burnout, had left my competitive alliance.I play mainly PVE for now at SCL 7, as it's the best ratio of rewards to how much time I have to play. However, I could end up going back to my old alliance where we would clear all PVE content and some PVP. 

My worries are scaling and if this might be the best trio of 5s we see in LL Store for a long time, or if I should keep waiting. As far as scaling I have just about enough ISO to fully level three 5s. Not sure if that's the way I should go as I move from 4 to 5 land, or only cover those three 5s to 4* max boosted levels. For now i'm only doing casual PVE, but like I said I could join another good alliance that clears PVE and PVP. Not sure if I just have only the three 5*s from LL store, if I'd be hitting a huge scaling roadblock if I max leveled them all, or if I should only initially level them to max 4* boosted levels to avoid scaling issues. 

The stash is burning a hole in my pocket as I've been building it for a year. I happen to be a Doom fan, so I can live with his somewhat meh 5*. Carol I'd have to live with, but I really really hate countdown and repeater tile characters, especially those you can't place the tile yourself like 4* Carol. Hela I think looks pretty good, I'd be happy with her. However it's hard to wait for Carol to rotate out as Doom would be gone. It's hard to say if D3 will ever again have a LL store occupied by 3 very good 5*s, based on the last bunch of characters released it looks like a stretch. I've read others in my shoes plan to keep waiting, I just don't know if I can wait say 3 more months just to get to another lousy trio of 5s. I also don't want to kick myself for not being more patient. Was curious what others in situations like me plan to do, and for those already in 5* territory, what you would do if in my boat. 

Thanks for any replies!

Comments

• Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would advise you to hold at least until the next 5 after Hela is announced, so at least you know if is meta defining.

I have also a big stash waiting and it is a pain in the ****, but I am going to wait until that 5 that would replace Doom is announced (and I am also a big GED fan)
  • crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    I would also wait based on 300 pulls being extremely risky as far as completing the latests with cover swaps no longer being a thing.
  • tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    Polares said:
    I would advise you to hold at least until the next 5 after Hela is announced, so at least you know if is meta defining.

I have also a big stash waiting and it is a pain in the tinykitty, but I am going to wait until that 5 that would replace Doom is announced (and I am also a big GED fan)
    Thought about it, but scary to think if Doom is rotated out for another 5* dud, possibly with some annoying powers or CD/repeater, that would be be brutal with Carol still in the mix. 

I'm still trying to get a feel how much I'd hate 5Carol or if I'd be able to get used to her. I've always hated countdown and repeater powers. Especially if you cannot place them where you wish. To be double penalized for not having your power be instant once you built up the attack power and not getting to place the tile where you want, just not fun.

Especially with so many characters with board shakes or abilities that destroy countdown and special tiles these days, or that it can be placed in a bad spot where it gets matched away and makes the power useless. Seems like a very frustrating 5* to have to lean on, for those who wouldn't have many other options in 5* land.

Hard to say if a really good 5 is released with the new Avenger movie coming, or if it's another missed opportunity like 5Carol. 

• Jwallyr
    Jwallyr Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    Everyone at the 5star tier tells me that the 4star tier has more variety than 5s anyway, and until you have 2 or 3 separate solid teams at the 5star tier you're going to have to use whatever 5s you have champed in pvp or else get used to being curb stomped by meta 5s teams anyway. (Likely you'll get curb stomped by meta 5s in pvp whether you do or don't use your 5s, since the 5s in the LT store are middle of the pack at best anyway).

If you want to enjoy 5star play, you appear to have 2 options:
    1) Continue saving until there's at least a solid 2-person 5star team in LTs for which you can pull at the same time
    2) Use CPs on release stores or special-event stores that have one or more of the meta 5s (Thor, Okoye, Kitty, etc.) and slowly work those characters up to champable, and you'll be able to use at least one of those meta teams immediately

Due to how bad (or at least mediocre) recent 5s have all been, I've started using my CP toward Thor/Okoye/Kitty whenever they appear in stores, and I plan to use my LT hoard when necessary to grab single covers of new 5s for 5E purposes. At all other times, I hoard LTs and CPs.
  • St_Bernadus
    St_Bernadus Posts: 631 Critical Contributor
    tonypq said:
    Polares said:

I have also a big stash waiting and it is a pain in the tinykitty, but I am going to wait until that 5 that would replace Doom is announced (and I am also a big GED fan)
    Thought about it, but scary to think if Doom is rotated out for another 5* dud, possibly with some annoying powers or CD/repeater, that would be be brutal with Carol still in the mix. 

You can see who the next 5 will be, then you have 2 more weeks on the old store to use your stash on. Or wait till Doom rotated out.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's just not worth jumping into 5-star territory with sub-par 5s, as the transition is not fun if you can't deal with the meta. Unfortunately, right now, the Latest Three are sub-par at least until whoever shows up after Hela and possibly until Carol leaves.

But that's from a PvP standpoint. If you don't play PvP, any champed 5s will improve your PvE performance.
  • rdvargas1
    rdvargas1 Posts: 77 Match Maker
    If you want to be a 5*player, it seems like you have to be more than a casual player.  I encourage you to get back into an alliance that will help you increase your rewards.  I agree that the upcoming three are not that great as a trio. CM and Hela share two colors, although Hela's Death becomes her might work well with CM photonic rush.  and with GED being yellow black blue, there's no purple power.