Do you want nerfs?

Comments

• WEBGAS
    WEBGAS Posts: 474 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2019
    No nerfs....but other characters rather needs buffs ( Banner, Wasp , and so on...even Cap Marvel  :# )

@HoundofShadow  sorry but I have to disagree : This game is really about speed, PVE surely is.
    Devs could turn it into progressione rewards only, as many asked for months/year.
     It's not players fault . If you have invested 3 or 4 years in this game, pouring in money and your time, you wouldn't want to play anything less than optimal so you are forced to grind, even if you hate it...until you get burned out and decided to quit for good (as many veterans are doing)
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,790 Chairperson of the Boards

The devs didn't create the game to be all about speed. Players who are competitive make their games all about speed. It's the same in many RPG games. 

If MPQ is all about speed, then you won't be seeing 5* characters like Wasp, Kingpin, Captain Marvel at all. Any 2 or 3 character teams will be able to end matches in 5 matches if this game is really about speed.

That’s the exactly what I see. Mostly for speed and the faster it’s done also likely the less health packs you use. Speed and minimal damage. Maybe if health packs weren’t a thing I’d risk other teams. 

The only people i see running non speed meta teams are new to the tier. Even on new release boost month I very rarely see that shiny new 5* over a Thor okoye or kitty. I don’t even think I saw a doom at all in pvp in his release month and fought carol twice.

Hela has a great design but she won’t be fast as Thor and okoye so I doubt I will run into her much either. I’m not competitive in this game, I miss clears if I’m safe for progression but I still run the fastest teams available to me. Same for pvp, I don’t even care about going past 900 or my placing but I’m not about to use carol to get there.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't want nerfs in general, with very minor exceptions, like Gambit, and I think Rocket probably deserves one too.

If they would buff all the other meh or lame 5s probably no nerf would be needed, but looks like they don't want to work extra (for whatever reason) to give us those buffs.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,733 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't want any nerfs.

I was thinking about this issue in regards to the dev's time/resources.  We know that they are a relatively small team and therefore have to be careful as to how they use their time and production.

That is, things that will generate revenue get priority.  Things that don't provide a direct reason to spend are added to basically stave off boredom/disengagement and keep players around.

Adding a nerf requires work.  It significantly threatens engagement and spending if you are devaluing player tools - without having new tools in place that can be used instead.  It is a last resort because it represents dev time that has no revenue upside, other than the hope that it stops player loss/disengagement and/or encourages more spending on new tools instead of continuing to rely on existing, very effective tools.

My guess on the "why don't they make small tweaks" is that they manage their projects such that they don't have people that can keep touching characters frequently, but approach each rebalance as something that is meant to be in place for a long time (indefinitely is probably their optimal timescale).  I'd also assume that other games that make small tweaks on an ongoing basis either have larger teams, produce less new character content, or both.

TLDR, I don't expect any nerfs until we see a new meta, when/if that occurs.

Final thought:

What are the win/usage counts for Thanos?  Strange?  There is more at work than what we are told at any time.  Which is fine and expected, but some communication would be nice at this point.

• NotBAMF
    NotBAMF Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker

As I have outright said in the Kitty nerf thread, if they nerf Kitty or Grocket, that will make PVE insufferable for so many of us. I get that there is an "abuse in PVP" vs "necessity in PVE" weight to consider, but I fall HARD on the line of the latter.

Buff other characters. Don't nerf the good ones.

• ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    With as powerful as Kitty, R&G and Thor are, at best they'd need subtle balance tweaks not wholesale changes.  Given the history of previous character nerfs, I'd be completely against that for any of them.  

To echo others, I'd rather see the bottom-feeders brought up than the meta brought down.  We're in a relatively good place at the moment, as far as balance.
  • Glockoma
    Glockoma Posts: 555 Critical Contributor
    A couple years back, communication from the Devs was better. They even said that they would include character rebalances before every season. That mission has ceased to exist.

If change is to come to the game, perhaps a petition must be appropriated to let them know what portion of the community is calling for what changes. 

Developers, at a basic level, know what we want. But they also have commitments to those above them. Perhaps if we can provide a tangible proof of our desires, things we (consumer) deem necessary can begin to move up in priority.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2019
    Glockoma said:
    A couple years back, communication from the Devs was better. They even said that they would include character rebalances before every season. That mission has ceased to exist.

If change is to come to the game, perhaps a petition must be appropriated to let them know what portion of the community is calling for what changes. 

Developers, at a basic level, know what we want. But they also have commitments to those above them. Perhaps if we can provide a tangible proof of our desires, things we (consumer) deem necessary can begin to move up in priority.

They don't care what you want, as long as spending doesn't decrease.
    If spending decreases, you'll see changes.
    It's not rocket science.
    They don't want your happiness, they want your money.
  • Glockoma
    Glockoma Posts: 555 Critical Contributor
    Bowgentle said:
    Glockoma said:

They don't care what you want, as long as spending doesn't decrease.
    If spending decreases, you'll see changes.
    It's not rocket science.
    They don't want your happiness, they want your money.
    I didn’t want to say this so explicitly, but essentially this is correct. Usually this is part of a petition, but we are in sponsored forums, therefore I tread lightly.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    It seems with the complaining about Kitty and Thor that people want a nerf, because carrying on about a character is how you get nerfs.

That's not even why I don't complain about them. They are mostly manageable, Thor especially. Whittle him down, save him for last, then stun and nuke. Stop kitty from getting going early and avoid making only 1 tile at a time. Much better than the only strategy against Gambit of "bring your own Gambit"
    Is it that everyone has given up on the hope of buffs?  Has everyone decided that a new meta-defining character can't be coming soon?

In short, yes. They have been very stingy on 5* buffs forever, and have all but stopped doing 3 and 4* buffs. For either the sake of balance, variety, or just the way they like to play, characters have become slower. They are more dependent on firing 2 or more powers in specific order, or are all about repeaters. They could create a defensive meta, but that is usually countered easily enough by the offense meta
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,733 Chairperson of the Boards
    The tangible proof of our desires - which is a noble sentiment - is what happens when things are done/offered.

5 Carol is a slow benchwarmer character.  Her costume sold like hotcakes because people....wanted the tokens and HP and alliance CP, I guess.  No one will see her in that costume once she's out of Latest and not a 5E.

Things that we buy are what get pushed out us.  Buffing characters probably does very little to buff spending.  Costumes obviously are being bought, the high dollar ones are being bought more than you may think.

Supports came at a rapid pace until recently.  I am forced to assume the spending (in terms of dollars spent chasing them) was not keeping up at the level such that continuing to make them at that pace would be a reliable revenue generator.

Whatever you may want - whatever the forums seem to want - pales next to the voting with dollars.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    Here is he reality of most 5* characters.  A lot of hem only need a small adjustment to become really good usable characters in PVP.  

First make active repeater tiles fire the ability hen place the repeater.
    Second if they are CD or repeater don’t make it longer than 2 unless it is a while this CD is on the board your enemy can’t do X
    3rd on some of the under powered abilities like King Pin’s green, Loki Green, give a damage increase or an AP reduction.
    Lastly rework the failed 5* banner, Wasp.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle said:

It's not rocket science.
    Nope, it's not. It's Grocket science! :D
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2019

As I said on the "nerf Kitty?" thread - I do think that nerfs are a valid response to a character who stands very far above the median.  There have definitely been some characters who have needed an nerf in the past - Magneto and Sentry were the first ones since I started playing (I missed the Spider-Man and Ragnarok nerfs,) but 4* Thor and Wolverine were definitely well above the normal power level, and Gambit was ridiculous.  The fact that all of these characters but Magneto were nerfed too hard doesn't take away the fact that they did need to be nerfed in the first place.  Getting this right is not easy as we saw with the first Gambit nerf.

Character combos are a lot trickier, and the current meta relies much more on combos than a single character.  At this time I don't think that any particular character needs a nerf.  I'm not 100% sure on Rocket and Groot, it seems like his yellow passive is particularly abusable, but I'm not sure he really needs it since he's so lackluster otherwise.

• zippee
    zippee Posts: 27 Just Dropped In
    I'll take anything at this point. Start with BANNER HULK fix
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,081 Chairperson of the Boards
    Every time a characters is released they are panned for not being powerful enough. When they are actually good people want them nerfed.

I’m all for buffs though, especially in the 5* tier. They are too hard to acquire not to be awesome across the board. Every 5 should be a major threat.
  • rdvargas1
    rdvargas1 Posts: 77 Match Maker
    There should never be nerfs. There should only be buffs to make older characters more competitive, and strong new characters to keep redefining the meta.  
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    rdvargas1 said:
    There should never be nerfs. There should only be buffs to make older characters more competitive, and strong new characters to keep redefining the meta.  
    There were definite situations where a nerf was necessary - to buff all the 5*s to Gambit level would have been a) too much work for the old ones, and b) made the 4* tier all the more irrelevant.  Similarly, the old builds of Goddess Thor and X-Force Wolverine were incredibly strong - XForce was my first finished 4* and you could end fights obscenely fast with his black (it did a bit less damage but it gave you the AP from the tiles and destroyed your opponents AP in that color.  Generally once you cast it, it was the end of the match since it usually let you cast something else.)  I didn't finish Thor until well after her nerf, but she was similarly incredibly powerful.  She would have dominated the game well into the 5* era - all other 4*s would have been irrelevant, boosted or no.
    I don't think we're in a situation where any of the current characters are similarly overpowered.  Many of them, particularly in the 5* tier, are distinctly underpowered.
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tweaks and Buffs welcome. Nerfs can get herded into the trash.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    Buffs are far preferable but they are far more work for devs too.  You need to apply it to each individual character and you have so many moving parts you are risking creating a lot of problems with a lot of buffs over a short time.  Nerfing is easier for the devs and basically a buff to other characters, hence why we see it more often than buffs.  Unfortunately they usually go with ultra nerfing over reasonable nerf.