Is this the worst Latest Legends selection ever? Not one top 10 five star.

whitecat31
whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
Usually, when five stars come out, and show up in the Latest Legends vault there is at least one five star that says, "I have potential to be a top 10 character"
Even when the horror story bottom tier that is Hope van Dyne (wasp) came out, she was bracketed by a decent five star in either Kitty or Okoye. 
Doc Ock had  Hawkeye  or Parker near him.
Banner was bracketed by Black Bolt and Cap America and Ironman (who were OK at the time because there was less than 10 five stars)

Now these three in KingPoup, Doctor Dud, and Captain Marble appear to be all low tier five stars.  Sure they are light years better than than Wasp, and slightly better than Banner but they are paperweights in game. They don't look like they would work well together in pvp, nor do they look like they would be successful in pve. 

If there ever was a hoard until at least one was gone moment, this would be it. 

Comments

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,733 Chairperson of the Boards
    At least Hela seems like she will be useful.

Don't open for a few weeks.  I'm guessing Hela is a bit early because Kingpin is so bad.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, I'm hoarding until all 3 leave. Though I did stumble into a Fatpin champ, but only because I was desperately trying to finish Kitty before she entered classic limbo. He's total dead weight... and that's a lot of weight.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    Yeah, I'm hoarding until all 3 leave. Though I did stumble into a Fatpin champ, but only because I was desperately trying to finish Kitty before she entered classic limbo. He's total dead weight... and that's a lot of weight.
    Question...how do you stay motivated if you've got no 5*s to work on?
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I Think people underestimate Doom a bit, but I would put him as upper middle tier at best. His black is very nasty, he feeds himself AP to use it, and he can heal himself. He is not as fast as Gritty or Thorkoye so he won't change the meta but he is no slouch either.
  • DjinnBabba
    DjinnBabba Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    edited March 2019
    Totally agree with people sleeping on God Doom... There's a video floating around of God Doom (Max level)... taking on Thor-Okoye (also both at max level).  Doom had Domino as a partner for Black AP help.  Of course the pace was slow, but that's expected, and the player in the vid made very bad choices as if to handicap him/herself... but in the end, Doom handled both of them.... Okoye alone or Kitty (without Grocket)... can't do what he can.  Great Solo 5* characters are Thor, JJ, Thanos, maybe Doom, and probably Hela.

But in the end it comes down to good partners.  In the 5* world Gritty is a joke if you have BSSM and maybe Hela.  Some characters, like Okoye only shine with a partner.  While only a few can do the work by themselves.  With Doom the way he is alone... what happens when/if a 5* comes along that works with him?  I understand that a big 'IF"
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2019
    Yes it is. None of the current three is worth it (Doom is just meh, he has one good power). So we need to wait until all 3 get out, which is very disappointing for people like me that have been saving for a while already.

Devs should buff Doom and Carol ASAP. Seriously. The confidence in the game is at stake.

And we also need a communication from Devs, all releases lately have been very bad, 5s and even 4s. Devs need to address this. Pretty please?

Quebbster said:
    I Think people underestimate Doom a bit, but I would put him as upper middle tier at best. His black is very nasty, he feeds himself AP to use it, and he can heal himself. He is not as fast as Gritty or Thorkoye so he won't change the meta but he is no slouch either.
    He is a one power char. Just compare him to GG, which is much better all around, and GG is not even considered high tier :S

So sure, he is okeish, but that is about it. Kitty, Okoye, Thor, JJ, Spidey, DD, Strange, HE, Thanos, BP,  BB, GG, IM, Both Caps, etc. are better! Maybe even BW, OML and SS are better :S

Dormammu said:
    Good question, I would also like to know the answer... :(
  • bluewolf
    edited March 2019
    They have never, not once, buffed a 5 in Latests.  They have barely buffed any (Cap, Surfer, Doc Ock), and usually long after they were introduced.  *Gambit was "nerfed"

If any of the current 3 get buffed, it will be a long time from now.  
  • Polares
    edited March 2019
    bluewolf said:
    They have never, not once, buffed a 5 in Latests.  They have barely buffed any (Cap, Surfer, Doc Ock), and usually long after they were introduced.  *Gambit was "nerfed"

If any of the current 3 get buffed, it will be a long time from now.  
    I know. But they have never ever had 3 latest that bad as this batch (you can even add Cable). I have also never seen so many people disappointed by the latest releases (and so many quit threads of veteran players).

They need to react before there is no one else playing this game (at least in 5 land).

• DjinnBabba
    Polares said:

So sure, he is okeish, but that is about it. Kitty, Okoye, Thor, JJ, Spidey, DD, Strange, HE, Thanos, BP,  BB, GG, IM, Both Caps, etc. are better! Maybe even BW, OML and SS are better :S
    Wait..

Are you doing 'alone' comparisons?  Kitty and Okoye ALONE? are far better than Doom alone?  GG's black is nothing compared to Doom's Black... and OML alone?!.. who doesn't heal... LoL....  Doing single comparisons really doesn't do justice to the game's mechanics or at least when discussing how 'good' a character is.  The meta is Thokoye, Gritty, and PanThos... done.  From your list, only Thanos, Thor, JJ, DD, Strange, and maybe HE are the best 'alone' characters.
  • randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    CM is really a letdown.  I think we beat that horse to death.  For me, Doom could be fun to lay down on defense with the right team.  I think Hela has potential, but requires a meta pair to make her work.

I need to finish my 5/4/2 Okoye and Shuri is at 290.  Hoarding and hoarding isn't going to make that happen.  And maybe I hit the lottery with a red bonus Okoye.  I'll be north of 200 pulls when I do pull.

I am not waiting 12 more weeks to pull.  But I am probably just convincing myself these 5s are "worth it" because I want to finish Okoye.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    Doom can still be useful offensively as a tank with his true healing and has a strong black.  Hela looks really good as well.  Marvel not so muc.  I actually think Marvel is more mid tier than trash tier.  As players we really wanted her to be meta and were let down when she wasn’t.  Overall I don’t think this will be a horrible LL when Hela enters.
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2019
    Totally agree with people sleeping on God Doom... There's a video floating around of God Doom (Max level)... taking on Thor-Okoye (also both at max level).  Doom had Domino as a partner for Black AP help.  Of course the pace was slow, but that's expected, and the player in the vid made very bad choices as if to handicap him/herself... but in the end, Doom handled both of them.... Okoye alone or Kitty (without Grocket)... can't do what he can.  Great Solo 5* characters are Thor, JJ, Thanos, maybe Doom, and probably Hela.

But in the end it comes down to good partners.  In the 5* world Gritty is a joke if you have BSSM and maybe Hela.  Some characters, like Okoye only shine with a partner.  While only a few can do the work by themselves.  With Doom the way he is alone... what happens when/if a 5* comes along that works with him?  I understand that a big 'IF"
    There are some problems with your analysis:

* You cite Doom as a great example of being able to do things alone but point out that the player in the video used Domino to feed him black.

* Thor/Okoye is known to be a defensively weak team. It's the main reason most players on the forum are happy with the current meta. 

* You also mentioned the match was slow. If time is not a factor, there are a number of combinations of teams that could take down a maxed Thor/Okoye team with just one maxed 5*. There are probably even a handful that could do it without even being maxed out. The problem is *time* is a significant factor in competitive game modes. It's the major reason why some mid-tier characters like Hawkeye and Silver Surfer are not high tier characters.

* After touting the value of Doom as a solo character, you then concede that the game is about partnership/good combos which deflates your previous evaluation of the character. There currently isn't a good 5* partner for him.  

If such a partner were to exist, it would have to be uniquely tied to Doom's specific power set. I am not saying it's impossible, but there's a lot hoops such a character would have to go through to raise Doom to a competitive level. Otherwise, more straightforward black offensive ability characters like Jessica Jones (and perhaps Green Goblin but less so) would be the better option. 

Doom isn't a bad character. In a vacuum, he is a good counter for JJ and Okoye. The problem is his design doesn't really fit competitive play nor does he partner well with anyone in the 5* tier besides Thor and maybe Peter Parker Spider-man but unfortunately there are better partners for Thor, and I don't really see Parker/Doom being fast enough to be competitively viable. He is fine for casual play so for people that like to use a variety of strategies and different teams he is good. Unfortunately, there isn't a game mode that really rewards that kind of play (well maybe S.H.I.E.L.D. Simulator does to some extent to be fair). It's the same reason why people are not fond of 5* Captain Marvel's design. 

Players are evaluating the current set of Legendary 5* characters on their competitive viability and I ask you, do you think they are wrong given the current meta? Where do you intend to use Doom competitively? 

• BatteryHorse
    BatteryHorse Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Dormammu said:

That momentum of chasing the next character, or completing everything 100%, etc, carries players longer than it has a right to.  I recently stopped playing, after about 4 years.  I have all the heavy hitter 5*s champed, and the game has become a routine time-sink.  I kept up because I like the players in my alliance and I felt some obligation to them.  And then work and life had me too busy to play for a few days and I realized I'm just not enjoying it, and since then it's been a challenge just to log in and play DDQ.  I don't want to hit the icon to open the game.  

Maybe it's just a break, but I've been enjoying my commute more doing other things lately, and nothing really makes me feel like I want to go back.  

In my opinion, it's not motivation but momentum, and if you lose hold of that momentum it's pretty hard to get it back.
  • DjinnBabba

There are some problems with your analysis:

* You cite Doom as a great example of being able to do things alone but point out that the player in the video used Domino to feed him black.

* Thor/Okoye is known to be a defensively weak team. It's the main reason most players on the forum are happy with the current meta. 

* You also mentioned the match was slow. If time is not a factor, there are a number of combinations of teams that could take down a maxed Thor/Okoye team with just one maxed 5*. There are probably even a handful that could do it without even being maxed out. The problem is *time* is a significant factor in competitive game modes. It's the major reason why some mid-tier characters like Hawkeye and Silver Surfer are not high tier characters.

* After touting the value of Doom as a solo character, you then concede that the game is about partnership/good combos which deflates your previous evaluation of the character. There currently isn't a good 5* partner for him.  

If such a partner were to exist, it would have to be uniquely tied to Doom's specific power set. I am not saying it's impossible, but there's a lot hoops such a character would have to go through to raise Doom to a competitive level. Otherwise, more straightforward black offensive ability characters like Jessica Jones (and perhaps Green Goblin but less so) would be the better option. 

Doom isn't a bad character. In a vacuum, he is a good counter for JJ and Okoye. The problem is his design doesn't really fit competitive play nor does he partner well with anyone in the 5* tier besides Thor and maybe Peter Parker Spider-man but unfortunately there are better partners for Thor, and I don't really see Parker/Doom being fast enough to be competitively viable. He is fine for casual play so for people that like to use a variety of strategies and different teams he is good. Unfortunately, there isn't a game mode that really rewards that kind of play (well maybe S.H.I.E.L.D. Simulator does to some extent to be fair). It's the same reason why people are not fond of 5* Captain Marvel's design. 

Players are evaluating the current set of Legendary 5* characters on their competitive viability and I ask you, do you think they are wrong given the current meta? Where do you intend to use Doom competitively? 

You are right on all points... 

Doom in my eyes is a defensive scarecrow... yes he has one big nuke, but the rest of him is there to prolong the match.  On offense it goes against the entire speed meta.  An in my opinion, I feel the devs are going in into a 'counter/defensive mode' to try an shift he meta.  I don't see a speed meta anytime soon... Gambit (speed all by himself).

From the video I saw... the player severely handicapped him/herself that extended the matches by probably 10-15 more moves.  Avoiding a critical match, avoiding a match-5, ignoring powerful TUs that are ready to fire.  I agree a good 4* can be a great asset to a 5*.  I just think people are ignoring how annoying he could be.  HelaDoom might be good.  The black overlap is a big negative.  But most people see Hela at 553... so maybe just a defensive issue (which black gets fired by the AI)

Note: I do not have Thoyoke... I am currently a HawkBit user... so in my defense.... everyone is faster than me...
  • Polares
    edited March 2019
    Polares said:

Wait..

Are you doing 'alone' comparisons?  Kitty and Okoye ALONE? are far better than Doom alone?  GG's black is nothing compared to Doom's Black... and OML alone?!.. who doesn't heal... LoL....  Doing single comparisons really doesn't do justice to the game's mechanics or at least when discussing how 'good' a character is.  The meta is Thokoye, Gritty, and PanThos... done.  From your list, only Thanos, Thor, JJ, DD, Strange, and maybe HE are the best 'alone' characters.
    I never said they were the best, just that they are better all around than Doom, some are better beacuse their power ser is better, some because they fit in way more teams (I also didn’t say that I was comparing them alone) or simply because they are more useful in a bigger range of situations.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,275 Chairperson of the Boards
    Does every new 5* that's released need to be new king of the meta? 
    I totally agree that the current three in Latests are underwhelming but you can't always have meta-defining characters because it would get annoying chasing them all the time.

There are other considerations than top-tier PVP play that needs to be looked at when they design a 5*.
    Powercreep is a thing and to keep asking for stronger/faster chars is not really healthy for the balance of any game.

Ill use Cable as an example, most of the forum seems to agree he is slow, terrible and boring.
    I've champed him a few weeks ago and I use him very often in PVE because his green is actually great at clearing nodes because its an adaptive AOE. I'm glad I champed him and he's enjoyable and useful.

I'm sure I can even find a use for Fatpin at some point...  :D
  • bluewolf
    sinnerjfl said:

Please let us know!  Even the devs seem to think he's bad enough to kick out early (see Wasp and Cable's release date as well).
  • Polares
    edited March 2019
    sinnerjfl said:
    Does every new 5* that's released need to be new king of the meta? 
    I totally agree that the current three in Latests are underwhelming but you can't always have meta-defining characters because it would get annoying chasing them all the time.

There are other considerations than top-tier PVP play that needs to be looked at when they design a 5*.
    Powercreep is a thing and to keep asking for stronger/faster chars is not really healthy for the balance of any game.

Ill use Cable as an example, most of the forum seems to agree he is slow, terrible and boring.
    I've champed him a few weeks ago and I use him very often in PVE because his green is actually great at clearing nodes because its an adaptive AOE. I'm glad I champed him and he's enjoyable and useful.

No one is saying that every new release should be meta, but EVERY NEW RELEASE SHOULD BE A GOOD CHAR. DD, HE or Spidey are not meta, but they are fun to play, and if they are featured and you have them they give a really big boost. Every single new release should be as good as those at least.

Sadly this game only new real content are chars, so for it not becoming boring or stale, we would probably need a new meta every 4 - 5 months. So not every single 5 release should be meta, but probably one every three releases might need to be meta :S