Why am I still playing?

Options
loose5682
loose5682 Posts: 27 Just Dropped In
Is it because I've got 1950+ days already invested in this game? Probably. It's not as much fun anymore, chasing covers and champions has a little excitement to it, but not much. 

This is burnout. For sure. Might not last much past whatever "new" content comes out for Endgame
Tagged:

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I find that a big problem for me in the elder game is that the threshold for meaningful 5* progress is quite high (Max prog in every pve or multiple buy clubs per month).  Short of that I end up playing several hours a week just to keep rostering new characters while slowly falling behind the curve on covering/leveling everyone.

There is sort of no middle ground for 5*s.  You are hardcore or you are falling behind.

Take a break TC.  The burnout likely won't get better until you take some time off.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Conversely I found taking time off successfully broke my habit and now I can't bring myself to play more than a match every few days.

However, it does feel a lot more exciting and rewarding when you get an lt just for the only match of the day.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    Options
    so why do you still come here? 
    any changes that would bring you back? 
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Staying around is dangerous. I quit Cold turkey too. Then I decided to drop by the forums out of pure curiousity... Before you knew it I was playing the game again.
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    Quebbster said:
    Staying around is dangerous. I quit Cold turkey too. Then I decided to drop by the forums out of pure curiousity... Before you knew it I was playing the game again.
    Similar story for me.  I drifted away from the game, especially after Gambit was nerfed. I was down to 0-3 matches per day (just cp node in ddq) for many months.  Then I got 2 extremely lucky pulls that let me champ Thor and put okoye at 11/13.  I am now paying pve to prog most events so that I can get her champed via shuri feeders.  The fun of exploring good new teams is real. But the experience of grinding feels like the first drag cigarette after months without smoking. I just want to cough and put it down.  Not sure that I want to get sucked in again.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    There is only one cure for burnout. STOP PLAYING.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2019
    Options
    It's okay to take a break. You will feel refreshed if you decided to come back again.
  • TeamStewie
    TeamStewie Posts: 357 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    It seems people are disappearing from my slice. More than 24 hrs later and it still wasn't full.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,306 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Today we are (maybe) starting the Hulk event - again - which has been in rotation since December 2013.  No one likes it anymore, but we just play it because.....you need resources to build your roster etc.

Try to imagine yourself pulling out a 6 year old game to replay the levels you find unfun.  And doing it for a week straight.  Then do it again in a few months.  Not playing something new and exciting.  Not replaying a superbly designed game like say, The Legend of Zelda and enjoying the beauty and balance and just plain fun of it.

No, just playing some monotonous grindy level where you have trouble with the UI when selecting nodes.  And doing it for 1-2 hours per day, so somewhere around 7-14+ hours in that week.

What are we all doing, I wonder sometimes.......
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bluewolf said:
    Today we are (maybe) starting the Hulk event - again - which has been in rotation since December 2013.  No one likes it anymore, but we just play it because.....you need resources to build your roster etc.

Try to imagine yourself pulling out a 6 year old game to replay the levels you find unfun.  And doing it for a week straight.  Then do it again in a few months.  Not playing something new and exciting.  Not replaying a superbly designed game like say, The Legend of Zelda and enjoying the beauty and balance and just plain fun of it.

No, just playing some monotonous grindy level where you have trouble with the UI when selecting nodes.  And doing it for 1-2 hours per day, so somewhere around 7-14+ hours in that week.

But you get to win a 3* Hulk cover after quite a few hours of repetition! Or 500iso as he will be for me as I only have room for one Max Champed lump of useless 3* green stuff on my roster.
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    bluewolf said:

But you get to win a 3* Hulk cover after quite a few hours of repetition! Or 500iso as he will be for me as I only have room for one Max Champed lump of useless 3* green stuff on my roster.
    Sell, and start your recycled hulk.  Seriously, as long as you have 1 cover for essential nodes, when will you ever care about not having a 266 3* hulk?
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,724 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Greenroom said:
    This game is near perfect for me. I want simple gameplay on a mobile phone, so match 3 is ideal. Ive always been a Marvel nerd so the content couldnt be better. I actually enjoy chasing RNG drops and collecting. There is some truly beautiful art (the Knowhere screen for Cosmic Chaos most recently)

BUT! I will inevitably quit and delete simply because of the time suck. Whywhywhywhywhy do you want me to play SO many matches. It doesnt earn D3 any money because no one purchases healthpacks. Do they? If not then i see zero reasoning behind it and it becomes the main reason players quit.

Drop the points for rewards in PVP/PVE and drop every PVE node to 4 clears and 2 for waves and the player base would rejoice, last longer, recommend the game more often and more frequently. Probably even spend a little more. 

I want a life with MPQ in it,  not to miss out on life because of it.
    This.  All of it.  

I know, competitive wouldnt be the same.  Yadda yadda yadda.  Just throw the competitive rewards into.. say... PVP.  You know, where people actually care about competition.  The only people that care about competition in PvE are the ones who care about the REWARDS.  that's it.  If those weren't there... if those rewards were siphoned into PvP... the PvP competiton would be fiercer, and yet, no one would have to worry about a PvE grind.

Make people happy to play through your story.  When its competition,  no one turns on animations, no one reads story... too many people are 'racing'.  And that leads to the thing people talk about when who's the fastest team to use in PvE, because the rewards are what your high end players want.

That leads to stagnation.   High end players want rewards.   People that dont care as much for those are still going for full progression or at least enough to get the 4* cover.  That's stagnant too, because they are spending time grinding out the same stuff.  Make it easier, less points required...  and throw all the rewards for competition in PvP, at various levels of completion too.  All of a sudden, more people are playing PvP, because the top 50 are getting rewards worth their time and grind.  Top 200 actually nets a few more tokens and HP... stuff to entice lower people to say "hey, I can make that".

The story should never be a grind.  It should be the entrance to fun.  It should be quicker... able to play with multiple team types, and no one caring about speed.  People can read the story, watch animations, and basically pass time between your PvP shield hopping and what not.

I honestly believe this would change things a bit.  I would hit PvP more, for sure.  But I barely do as it is, because after my progression-required speed run (mainly for speed because of how long it takes), do i really feel like playing MORE?  Rarely.  
  • ABaker84
    ABaker84 Posts: 90 Match Maker
    Options
    Seems that there should be another section to the forum. MPQ-oholics Anonymous. There have been a lot of these posts lately, putting them all in one spot would make it easier to find for others who have the same condition as we do. Maybe we can develop a 10-node program to manage on a daily basis to help us cope?
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Must say I'm feeling the burn recently too. The last 5*s aren't that exciting. I got Emperor Doom champed with my hoard and that didn't feel as good as I'd hoped. I'm trying to chase Captain Marvel but she's not exciting either.

Last time I felt like this was a couple of months before Championing arrived. That revitalised my play because suddenly anything other than a 4* wasn't a waste any more. I got another boost with shield levels because suddenly I had an influx of ISO to speed up my 4* transition.

But there's been nothing in ages to make the game exciting and give me something to aim for. I've got 1.2 million red iso and I'm now ISO positive again after getting all of my 5*s as high a level as they can go. I've got no real prospects of champing the old 5*s and the new 5*s are only okay. I set aside a chunk of my evening every day to do PvE and PvP and now The Hulk PvE has shown up again and I can't bring myself to grind for a week of boring, repetitive Dark Avengers again.

I'm starting to wonder why I'm spending so much time (Day 1839. Steam tells me I've put 7000+ hours into the game) just to acquire new JPEGs. All I'm doing now is grinding for CP and hoping to get a 5*. If I don't it's a waste. I'm back to the old days when I was running out of things to do. Championing stopped me leaving but...I see nothing on the horizon to keep me here.

Seriously starting to think I might give up soon. If nothing else it'll save me money. Might just keep going until my VIP runs out and see where I go from there.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    bluewolf said:

Sell, and start your recycled hulk.  Seriously, as long as you have 1 cover for essential nodes, when will you ever care about not having a 266 3* hulk?
    Very true, good advice.