My First Max Champed 3* and Random Cover Distribution

KGB
KGB Posts: 3,189 Chairperson of the Boards
Back when roster based scaled ended I had a soft capped roster around L130. The day SCL went live I dropped a million plus ISO and champed every 3*. So for me they all hit L166 at the exact same time.

Today I finally got my first max champed 3* (Ms Marvel). B)

Looking at my 3* roster now is interesting because of the high variance in cover distribution. My lowest 3 are Angel, Elektra and Gambit (who weren't released then) at 213, 218 and 221 but 10 more are still in the 220s which is more than 40 levels behind my highest!

Obviously Ms Marvel and the other 3's who benefit from their 2* feeders (I have a farm) should be ahead but even there I have her, Bullseye, Cap, Hulk and Rags at 260+ but I also have Hawkeye, Widow, Daken, Torch, Thor and Wolvie in the 240's more than 20 levels behind the front runners.

The character I have drawn the most is Psyloche (258) and the least is Punisher/Colossus (223).

I just posted this to give an idea of how wide the variance can be in random drop distribution and because I'm excited to have my first max champed 3* with a 3* farm about to start!

KGB

Comments

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    Congrats! What’s the farming plan?

Sell the max-champ to roster a dupe, or keep the 266? Also curious how you’ve used bonus heroes. I use mine on lowest characters so they can catch up to the ones I pull more of naturally. 

• Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    I suspect that the MCU movies / TV proprieties also influence how they pick 3* cover rewards.  While you probably don't have it plotted over time.  it be no surprise to see that 2* and 3* covers get promo pushes when a property debuts.  Thats probably accounts for a big chunk of variability

• DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,390 Chairperson of the Boards
    Funny. My lowest leveled non-recycled 3* champs are Vision (246), Angel (241), and Elektra (238). No surprise seeing at the bottom two based on release date I think.

My recycled 3* Steve Rogers is already at 225 again, closely followed by Hulk at 222; so they've already nearly overtaken Elektra again!
  • KGB
    edited March 2019
    Congrats! What’s the farming plan?

Sell the max-champ to roster a dupe, or keep the 266? Also curious how you’ve used bonus heroes. I use mine on lowest characters so they can catch up to the ones I pull more of naturally. 

I have 55K hero points so I'll be rostering dups.

As for the farming plan:
    I have 2900 Elite tokens saved which technically gives me 2900*25%= 725 3 covers plus 2900*5%145 bonus covers or 870 more 3* covers which would be roughly 18+ more covers for every one of my 3*s. The question is do I open them now and max champ say 10-15 more or wait a few months till more are max champed and the bulk (currently in the 230-250 range) are in the 260 range and them do the mass open so that I can immediately (hopefully) champ all the dupes in one go (I have almost 5 million ISO).

I let bonus heroes just come randomly. I never set any of my 3* specifically since they all were champed on the same day so there was no potential cover loss when getting a bonus hero.

KGB
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    KGB said:
    I have 55K hero points...
    I have 2900 Elite tokens saved...
    While I think it's amazing that you've managed to amass such a hoard I can't help but wonder why you hold yourself back so much. You talked about soft-capping 3-stars back in the day and these massive resources you've stockpiled... what's the reasoning? While there is a time and a place for hoarding, that's mostly for LTs and CPs for the reasoning of covering the latest-3 or for avoiding cover loss due to lack of 4-star roster space.

Spending those lesser resources (Elite/Heroic/etc) will elevate your roster, speed up your farms, and net you more resources in turn. Instead, everything you're hoarding is wasted as well as what you'd earn off them. I liken it to overpaying on income tax - you delay your returns for a future refund when you could have been using that money in the meantime to earn more money.
  • KGB
    edited March 2019
    What would I spend the hero points on? I have every character rostered now so I don't need roster slots (other than for the upcoming 3* dupe farm). I buy the occasional vaults (bought Okoye vault for her costume, bought a couple 10 packs in Capt Marvel vault recently for example) when there is something I like/need. I use some on shields to hold my place once I hit 900 in PvP but otherwise hero points don't have much use beyond more roster slots.

The 2900 elite tokens on the other hand got out of control by accident. When they were originally released they didn't have much value to me since I was trying to accumulate 4*s and they didn't provide any chance to get one. So I just saved them so that when my 2* farm turned over I could open a bunch so I didn't waste any covers if I didn't get 13 covers for my 2* before some expired. That didn't happen often enough to drain what I was amassing and since cover save came into place I doubt I've opened more than a 100 elite tokens.

Now I feel like a bad episode of 'Hoarders' because I'd like to open them (it would cycle a 2* farm completely 3 times at least) but I dread having to do all the multiple taps required to open 2900 tokens (surely hours of my time). If the much requested feature of 'open X number of tokens' was introduced that would make it a lot less daunting to open them all.

KGB
  • Daredevil217
    KGB said:
    What would I spend the hero points on? I have every character rostered now so I don't need roster slots (other than for the upcoming 3* dupe farm). I buy the occasional vaults (bought Okoye vault for her costume, bought a couple 10 packs in Capt Marvel vault recently for example) when there is something I like/need. I use some on shields to hold my place once I hit 900 in PvP but otherwise hero points don't have much use beyond more roster slots.

The 2900 elite tokens on the other hand got out of control by accident. When they were originally released they didn't have much value to me since I was trying to accumulate 4*s and they didn't provide any chance to get one. So I just saved them so that when my 2* farm turned over I could open a bunch so I didn't waste any covers if I didn't get 13 covers for my 2* before some expired. That didn't happen often enough to drain what I was amassing and since cover save came into place I doubt I've opened more than a 100 elite tokens.

Now I feel like a bad episode of 'Hoarders' because I'd like to open them (it would cycle a 2* farm completely 3 times at least) but I dread having to do all the multiple taps required to open 2900 tokens (surely hours of my time). If the much requested feature of 'open X number of tokens' was introduced that would make it a lot less daunting to open them all.

KGB
    What is your roster like and what do your other resources look like (CP, Heroics, LT). You have some crazy big hoards. Especially for just having your first max champed 3*. Are you spender?
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    DeNappa said:
    Funny. My lowest leveled non-recycled 3* champs are Vision (246), Angel (241), and Elektra (238). No surprise seeing at the bottom two based on release date I think.

My recycled 3* Steve Rogers is already at 225 again, closely followed by Hulk at 222; so they've already nearly overtaken Elektra again!
    This just made me check, and my recycled Steve is at 223, just about to lap Gambit at 224 and Angel at 226. My RNG apparently likes Elektra, because she's way ahead of those two at 239.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2019
    Congrats to TC!

Fwiw, I think there a few 3*s worth holding at 266.  Into, switch, strange/Thanos (at least until you have their 5* equivalents), kk, and iron fist (at least until you have Medusa).  A few others like lazy cap, hood, daken, loki, patch, and gsbw can be useful if you want to build around their abilities for healing or AP suppression, or board control, etc, but they aren't essential if you have good enough 4*s

Everyone else can probably be sold and rebuilt from scratch unless you are swimming in HP; their value just isn't enough to surpass the 1k HP per slot. Just make sure you have a spare cover to start your recycle immediately when you sell the first, so you never miss an essential node.

My highest recycled 3* is patch at 221

My lowest original growth 3* is elektra also at 221 (by the next lowest past that is star Lord at 254).
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,733 Chairperson of the Boards
    To OP:

The 2900 Elite tokens contain approximately 725 3* covers.  That's about 15 per character.  The 4's are farther apart than that in the 3* champ rewards, but I'd bet you'd hit some if you opened all of them.  They could definitely help develop your roster, even though 75% are 2's.

Depending on your goals and ability to get LTs and 5's for essentials, the high end of the 3's can give you a real leg up in pulling from Legendary stores and accelerate your 4 and 5 progress quite a bit.  

Hoarding is good for a lot of reasons, but the longer you hoard the more devalued each token is as characters are added, dilution increases and your pulls are more spread out.  Elites don't suffer from that directly, but the "pull" champ rewards (Heroics, CPs and LTs) will be diluted in value the longer you wait.

If you have the roster space, opening the tokens is almost entirely upside with very little downside except the time it will take.  Also, accelerating your top end 3's to the end makes for some possible iso needs if you plan to keep the maxed champs.

But, just another take on those Elite tokens.  Have fun and good luck!
  • KGB
    edited March 2019

What is your roster like and what do your other resources look like (CP, Heroics, LT). You have some crazy big hoards. Especially for just having your first max champed 3*. Are you spender?
    1050 cp (spent 2200 in the favorite legends store to get Kitty/Okoye to 7 and 8 covers and Thor to 4).
    290 LTs in my hoard. Along with the 1000 CP I'm ready to pull for 3 good 5* if/when there are 3 good ones to pull for. Looks like that's a couple months away at least.
    30 Heroics. I don't hoard these since I am looking for 4* covers.
    1000 Taco tokens (500+ in each pool)
    4.5 million ISO (saving for a long time for 3 5* champs plus 3* dup farm or more 4* champs)

Roster wise I have
    5*: Bolt at 12 covers (3 saved). Okoye at 8, Strange at 8, Kitty at 7, Thanos at 6. The rest at 6 or fewer.
    4*: 50 are champed (all the meta ones)  with Carol the highest at 293. Another 15 at 209 with 13 covers (plus saved ones in most cases) and pretty much the rest at 10 covers minus the last couple releases (annoyingly one of them is Namor at 8 covers).

I've never been a spender until this January when I got VIP specifically because they started offering costumes. I've had it ever since and will continue it if they offer more costumes.

KGB
  • Daredevil217
    Interesting. You are a beast of a hoarder. Why didn’t you pull the rest of your CP in the favorites store? I don’t think we’ll ever see a store that good again. If you are waiting for three good 5s in Latests at the same time, the game might shut down before you get there. There have been exceptions, but usually you get a mix in terms of how good the latest three are.  I know the bigger the hoard gets, the harder it is to break it, because it takes SO LONG to build. There’s a bit of FOMO in that if you spend everything on good 5* you may miss the boat on great ones, which would suck given how much work you put in. Luckily with Kingpin and Carol in, they make it really easy to keep hoarding. Neither of them are good, let alone great. 
  • FraggleinPA
    FraggleinPA Posts: 20 Just Dropped In
    Interesting. You are a beast of a hoarder. Why didn’t you pull the rest of your CP in the favorites store? I don’t think we’ll ever see a store that good again. If you are waiting for three good 5s in Latests at the same time, the game might shut down before you get there. There have been exceptions, but usually you get a mix in terms of how good the latest three are.  I know the bigger the hoard gets, the harder it is to break it, because it takes SO LONG to build. There’s a bit of FOMO in that if you spend everything on good 5* you may miss the boat on great ones, which would suck given how much work you put in. Luckily with Kingpin and Carol in, they make it really easy to keep hoarding. Neither of them are good, let alone great. 
    Touché, Daredevil217.  I blew my CP hoard on the Favorites vault instead of waiting for 5* Captain Marvel, and SO glad that I did.  I was able to champ my Thor and bring my Kitty to 12 covers.

And I totally agree with Dormammu’s post.  I would recommend busting open that Elite token hoard (even 25 a day) to make those covers work for you.  Most of my 3*s are at 266 and I have rostered dupes for all of them.  I would suggest keeping at least 1 3* at 266 and build the dupe to 266 before selling/rostering another dupe (especially if you have enough roster spots).  The only exception to selling the dupes would be for really useful chars like Deadpool (which I use for sending Whales TUs to my alliance).

Oh - and my strategy for BH for 3* is to target 3*s close to the levels where I get a 4* cover for them, as well as close to lvl 266 so I can finish them off.
  • Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,761 Chairperson of the Boards
    Don't underestimate the 2* feeders: I'm about to recycle Widow for the second time, while I have three 3* that have never been max champed.
  • Loosie
    Loosie Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    My 3* Cap is 3 covers away from being my first maxed 3*. 

As with others Gambit, Electra and Angel are my lowest with Angel not even cracking 200 yet. I don’t recall the last time I pulled an Angel cover, I think I’ve only gotten him as rewards.

My plan for now is to farm with a few exceptions.
  • Daredevil217
    edited March 2019
    As for my 3*, I have a complete set of 266 champs, and a complete set of dupe champs at 206 or higher. Rogers was my first and Patch my second. They are currently the only ones I have dual max champs of with a third copy rostered (5/4/3 and 3/1/0 respectively). Captain Marvel is 3 covers away from needing a dupe. My plan is two max-champs of every 3 with a third slot for farming. Probably not worth the roster slot costs to most, but 1) I’m a collector 2) it’s hard for me to sell something it took so long to build 3) I can always sell later if I need the roster slot 4) it’s nice for sustained PvP grinds- especially LR characters 5) Also nice to have Thanos insurance. 6) It’s only HP, you can always earn more. 

Oh and PS: I’d open those elites. Just put a tv show or game on and start tapping. Luckily it is easy to apply the covers to your roster once they are all opened. The iso, covers, hp, etc will absolutely be worth it!
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am re-working on champing 3 right now, sold the max champs, and learned not to do that.. Now i keep enough hp for 1 or 2 slots around and won't sell the old max champ until the new one is ready to champ, not having a leveled essential in pvp can be rough.  Oddly though, my first max champ is also my first to be rechamped, Quicksilver.  SW is done as well, working on her dupe, same with Hulk.

No real info, just my system is now, no selling a max champ 3* until new one is mostly covered.
  • KGB
    edited March 2019
    OK, spent an hour tonight opening 700 tokens and applying the covers. I stopped there because my tapping fingers (yes fingers) are sore :o

I ended up with 3 3* max champs now (Bulleye and Cap) with a several more crossing the 260 threshold. I almost flipped 2* farm entirely and I got roughly 10 LT's plus lots of CP from the 200ish 3* covers I got. I think I even went up 2 Shield Clearance levels!

That 2* flip netted me 50 heroics which I then then bonused Namor and hoped to draw 2 covers. Of course RNG was not with me. So I opened 40 LT's before I got 2 bonus Namors to give me the 10 covers I needed for Shield Training.

I also ended up with 5 more Fatpins, 2 more Dooms and a 2nd Carol which I suppose is nice for PvE but ultimately useless since they are bottom/low tier 5*s and I have no plans to cover them.

Over the next week or so when I'm not playing the game and I have spare time I'll open more in groups of 500 or so or until my finger gives out.

Interesting. You are a beast of a hoarder. Why didn’t you pull the rest of your CP in the favorites store? I don’t think we’ll ever see a store that good again. If you are waiting for three good 5s in Latests at the same time, the game might shut down before you get there. There have been exceptions, but usually you get a mix in terms of how good the latest three are. 
    A couple reasons:
    1) I was down to 500 CP which was only 20 more draws or roughly 3 more covers (I was right at 15% draw rate). Since I couldn't fully cover Kitty or Okoye with 3 more covers it didn't make much sense.
    2) At the time no one knew if 5* Carol was going to be any good. Since I didn't have 300 LTs wanted to have another 20+ draws from CP if she turned out to be good so that I'd be right around 300 draws (at the time that store was open).

Hopefully Kitty gets a feeder sometimes soon. I've drew a Shuri in the 40 I opened tonight for Namor which put her at 280 which netted me my 9th cover (3/4/2). Eventually one or both of them will get into one of the release stores and I'll finish them then (at least I tell myself that).

KGB