Cosmic Chaos and DST (Daylight Savings Time)

pheregas
pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
edited March 2019 in MPQ General Discussion
Just throwing this out there as a PSA.

Here in the USA our Daylight Savings changes at 2:00 a.m. on Sunday, March 10th.  This will be midway between the new event.  End times will be affected if history repeats itself.  

Keep that in mind when choosing slice times.

Good luck everyone!

Comments

• Punter1
    Punter1 Posts: 728 Critical Contributor
    What is this witchcraft that you can see into the future and predict this time change?  No way the devs have access to the same information, expect status quo and chaos to ensue
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,733 Chairperson of the Boards
    Worth noting that it's a 4 day event, so it ends Monday for most people, which could cause issues (it's probably easier to deal with an event that ends at a weird time on a Sunday).

Also, if it's a 4 sub event, that means two subs get thrown off by an hour.

Also also; PVP slice 5 should not be played in the last hour or so.
  • bluewolf
    OJSP said:
    I'm more interested to know what happens outside of America. In the past few years, there have been issues with healing times and downed characters. Not to mention shield timer shenanigans.

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/71136/brigby-is-there-a-plan-for-dst-again/
    Exactly why I suggest not playing Slice 5 PVP in the last hour +.  Shield out early or risk the usual snafus.
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    Is this when your roster experiences the Thanos snap except EVERYONE is dead when DST takes effect?
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Clarified Title

• randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    You can take a peek at the Powered Up section :smile:
  • bluewolf
    It's interesting that the game and the rest of the world are a bit backwards on the way DST works.  (Note:  Changing the time is the worst (perhaps) old idea that we as a modern society still follow for no good reason, other than no one wants to be the one not doing it while waiting for everyone else to change.)  Also, the following is based on playing Slice 1 in the EDT timezone for me, but everyone has a different schedule and slice which could impact them.

In your real life, in the spring (Spring forward!), your commitments begin one hour earlier, but the game is based on set lengths of time.  Now (for one event) the end times are one hour later than the normal slice times.  So you may get up an hour earlier than usual for work (in terms of your biological clock), for example, but the game would let you sleep an hour later if you have that option (and play a slice that you need to make sure you get up to play).  

In the fall, you fall back and now you can sleep longer (most people, anyway) if you choose/can.  But the game is set up, again, with set length events so you (if you are getting up early to play/clear) still get up at the same biological time, which is now an hour earlier than the rest of the people around you and you (or at least I) feel a bit like an idiot for playing this silly game with its narrow range of schedules.

Whether the slice/event end times are inconvenient for the events running through DST is a different issue, of course.  AKA your slice end time Monday may, for this event, now be during your commute or whatever.

Anyway, just a reflection on a different way that this game and slice times inconvenience me, and probably most players, and operate in a way to push you away from being part of the larger societal norms (much like the very concept of scheduling your gameplay around rigid start/end times in general).  I'm sure people will say stop worrying about placement etc, but it's one of those things (slice times, and playing around them) about the game that I think most players would prefer was different.
  • crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    Or you could live in arizona with me, where we don't do this nonsense.  Of course that also means that all events are at a different time for half the year, which I inevitably forget the first boss event after the shift.
  • Kahmon
    Kahmon Posts: 625 Critical Contributor
    The 1 hour adjustment is easy, but there is something important to keep in mind.
    If you always play the same slice, then Cosmic Chaos day 4 will end 1 hour after Honor Among Thieves starts.
    If placement is an issue for you, be sure to plan accordingly.

My personal situation is that i am firmly entrenched at about 14th place. I have no realistic hope at making top 10 and plenty of a lead ahead of 20th. As such, I'll be doing final clears an hour early. I may drop to 16th-17th, but I'll be ready to hit the new event from the start.
  • beyonderbub
    OJSP said:
    So, did anyone notice any problem this time (shield timer, character health, etc.) ? 

Add: After some checking, it looks like those problems occured in November.
    I did not experience anything this time. I was up pvp'ing thru the time change and all was fine. No hiccups
  • beyonderbub
    Kahmon said:
    The 1 hour adjustment is easy, but there is something important to keep in mind.
    If you always play the same slice, then Cosmic Chaos day 4 will end 1 hour after Honor Among Thieves starts.
    If placement is an issue for you, be sure to plan accordingly.

Good advice. have to plan doing opening clears for HAT in 35 minutes or less so I can clear the final grind for Cosmic Chaos in 25 minutes. Another option (if concerned about final placement) is just wait for the next flip in HAT after cosmic chaos event is done.
  • bluewolf
    I feel like the "fall back" is the bigger issue for PVP.  This spring we had two PVEs that were overlapping in the final grind and opening grind.  PVP seems to have gone smoothly.

The two DSTs prior, '18 and '17, they ran Avengers vs Ultron leading into the Daylight Saving Time change, so no one was worried about a final grind while just starting the next PVE at the normal start time.

2016 DST saw two overlapping PVE's, Thick as Thieves and Simulator.  2015 was back when they had strange sub times (like 36 hours) so let's just not bother thinking too hard about that.

I prefer a boss event leading into the time change so there's no overlap, myself.  Something for the developers to consider.

In case anyone wonders, in the fall the time change results in an hour gap between slices for the PVE leading into the time change and the one following.  (assuming normal/non-boss PVE).
  • KenshinUK
    KenshinUK Posts: 91 Match Maker
    We have DST at the end of the month.
    Oh the joy of British Silly Time.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Event over, closing thread.

This discussion has been closed.