How Demi does playtesting

Vhailorx
Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
This is a recurring issue, but how is Demi playtesting new designs?

Did Demi think marvel was really good? (This would explain the various resource drains that they have implemented over the past 6 weeks, but would also strongly suggest that Demi doesn't understand their own game)

Did Demi know that marvel was mediocre at best? (This might be Demi's continued work to fleshbout a slow, defensive style of play, but then why work so hard to bleed cp out of the game in advance of her release?)

Or, to be fair, are we players all just wrong, and Carol will be great?

Obviously, I am using Carol as an example, but there are  plenty of others.  Did Demi know that Gambit was stupidly powerful? Did Demi know just how bad kingpin was?  And if they are so incapable of anticipating character strength, how are they playtesting?  Do they just play 100 matches and make sure that every new release can win 90% or more of matches?  That would be a terrible test (since speed and damage taken are at least as important as reliability). 

Have we ever gotten any insight into the playtesting process?  Can we think of ideal paremeters for testing strength that are both accurate and administratively easy?

Every character isn't going to be great and that's ok.  But if Demi doesn't actually know how strong their designs are, then it will continue causing big problems.

Comments

• fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    The most likely answer you'll get is the same canned answer they give for most questions,
    Policy does not allow us to discuss specifics of ______
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    They probably playtest against Banner, Wasp and Kingpin because they are some real competition. 
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Or maybe they just design characters without thinking that they have to make each one better than the last?

I think Carol's damage is probably lower because it seems they very highly value boardshake.

In general they rely more on metrics of usage which would make it seem as though the dartboard above me is pretty accurate.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Assuming there is supposed to be balance, then they actively don't want every character to be better than the last. Which is why they like boardshake and repeaters. Its not that they are overvalued, necessarily, its that they are random i.e. "balanced".
    With 5Marvel in particular tho, I can't imagine any playtesting where the red repeater survived 3 rounds since it endangers itself with the random row destruction. It should at least not destroy itself, or start fortified.
    Throw in all the signs of them wanting us to deplete our hoards before her tho, and I do question why thought this would be any good.
  • Vhailorx
    edited February 2019
    Stray,

boardshake is not balanced because it is random.  Or at least that is not what I mean when I say it's overvalued.

What I mean is that Demi assigns more value to boardshake abilities that is justified by its utility in game. 

Imagine a character that was pure boardshake, literally could not do anything else. And then imagine a character that was pure direct damage output.  if Demi were valuing those two abilities in a balanced fashion than these two characters should be evenly matched 1:1, which is to say that Demi should calibrate the amount/cost of the boardshake to roughly equate to the cost/amount for damage.  For perfect balance you would want to see a 50:50 win rate over a large sample of matches.  (Obviously, this is a thought expirement that is handwaving away a lot of variables for the sake of simplicitly.)

But Demi pretty consistently overvalues boardshake, meaning that a pure boardshake character designed by Demi will do much worse than a 50:50 win rate against a pure damage character designed by Demi.

It's not that boardshake by itself is a problem, it's that Demi thinks boardshake is better than it really is relative to other abilities in the game.  And the net result is that Demi keeps pumping out these boardshake-based (and repeater based) characters that are consistently ignored by the players.  And this has been happening for a long time.

(Sorry if this is redundant or misses the point of your post.)

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,733 Chairperson of the Boards
    There are unanswerable questions from the players' perspective re:  recent stores which appeared to be an attempt to drain resources.  Making an assumption like "The devs want us to use up our CP so that we need to spend to champ Super-Awesome Carol immediately!" seems a bit of a leap.  I think anything they do has several factors at play - how it benefits players, how it benefits the devs, and how many ways each one might benefit.

For one thing, there was no digital day.  So some of the recent stores could be the devs thinking they might get some people spending with more interesting CP stores.

Second, with all the mediocre 5's in general (Kitty excluded), CP hoards have got to be up above the average.  So pushing some stores that provide a place to spend that CP makes sense.  Reasons are:  1.  The less resources you have, the more you feel motivated to play to rebuild/keep your resources up.  2.  If you use up resources, you might spend some money to chase an essential 5 (even if CM is not good, she will be essential and therefore all competitive players want at least one cover).  3.  The two most recent stores had some more interesting 5's in them (BSSM and all the meta 5's) which is pretty nice for players (and whales) who otherwise have no hope in significantly making any progress on them from Classics.

All of this is to say I'm not sure they think Carol is necessarily Super-Awesome.  I still think their driving motivation for design lately is "something different" while trying to capture the essence of the character.  There's a video posted recently which I think explains a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_bDkMRTAjw

• Vhailorx
    I don't think I ever said:

"The devs want us to use up our CP so that we need to spend to champ Super-Awesome Carol immediately!"

I think it's fair to assume that the favorites store etc were intended to bleed cp out of players.

I think the second question of why Demi is trying to do that is much more of an open question (as you go into in some detail bluewolf).

• Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Vhailorx said:
    Stray,

boardshake is not balanced because it is random.  Or at least that is not what I mean when I say it's overvalued.

I think we just misunderstand what we mean by overvalued and balanced? I'm not saying they overvalue it as in they think it is as good as damage. I'm also not saying that its balanced as in there would be a 50:50 win split between damage and boardshake characters. I'm saying balance as not in too good or bad. All powers should have some condition or downside that keeps them balanced, and that's already built in with those random powers.
    If anything they like them so much because they are uninspired or out of ideas.
    Just a theory, and not that important because whether they think these powers are good or not they keep making them.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx said:
    tiomono said:
    Or maybe they just design characters without thinking that they have to make each one better than the last?

I think Carol's damage is probably lower because it seems they very highly value boardshake.

In general they rely more on metrics of usage which would make it seem as though the dartboard above me is pretty accurate.
    Who said every character had to be better than the last (other than d3's accounting division)?

Demi has overvalued boardshake heavily for a long time now (since at least 2015), so that part of Carol's design makes sense.  It's a blindspots that Demi refuses to acknowledge or change.

But they seem to be overvaluing repeaters a lot now too.  (5loki, Emma, 5kp, now 5marvel).  Having one lingering blindspot for a long time is bad enough.  But adding a new one despite significant commentary from the playerbase suggests a bigger problem to me.

And regardless of whatever ability strength budgeting system they employ behind the scenes, don't they at least try the new characters pre-release?  Brigby seems to have access to them for answering player questions in announcement threads.  Why does does their own internal playtesting settup not highlight these design deficiencies?

And, of course, what I really want to know is why there is such an enormous disconnect.  Players knew within a few minutes or hours that Gambit was crazy powerful, and 5* kingpin was trash (I think I posted a comment in gambitc.  Did it really take the devs weeks or months to learn the same things?   If so, shouldn't that bother demi more than it seems to?
    I'm not sure anyone has claimed that each character needs to be better than the last. It just seems with new releases we are only comparing them to the best in their tier. So when a character like carol rolls up and is obviously slow or weak (compared to the meta) that's what we as players focus on. The devs seem to have their thinking somewhere very different than that. We as players have no real clear insight into that though.

Long answer short (from my perspective): The players will never have a clear answer from the devs on this until they decide to do any communication beyond the limited info they give brigby.
  • Vhailorx
    tiomono said:
    Vhailorx said:
    tiomono said:

Who said every character had to be better than the last (other than d3's accounting division)?

Demi has overvalued boardshake heavily for a long time now (since at least 2015), so that part of Carol's design makes sense.  It's a blindspots that Demi refuses to acknowledge or change.

But they seem to be overvaluing repeaters a lot now too.  (5loki, Emma, 5kp, now 5marvel).  Having one lingering blindspot for a long time is bad enough.  But adding a new one despite significant commentary from the playerbase suggests a bigger problem to me.

And regardless of whatever ability strength budgeting system they employ behind the scenes, don't they at least try the new characters pre-release?  Brigby seems to have access to them for answering player questions in announcement threads.  Why does does their own internal playtesting settup not highlight these design deficiencies?

And, of course, what I really want to know is why there is such an enormous disconnect.  Players knew within a few minutes or hours that Gambit was crazy powerful, and 5* kingpin was trash (I think I posted a comment in gambitc.  Did it really take the devs weeks or months to learn the same things?   If so, shouldn't that bother demi more than it seems to?
    I'm not sure anyone has claimed that each character needs to be better than the last. It just seems with new releases we are only comparing them to the best in their tier. So when a character like carol rolls up and is obviously slow or weak (compared to the meta) that's what we as players focus on. The devs seem to have their thinking somewhere very different than that. We as players have no real clear insight into that though.

Long answer short (from my perspective): The players will never have a clear answer from the devs on this until they decide to do any communication beyond the limited info they give brigby.
    I can only speak for myself of course, but I know that I have been saying things like "I think the community as a whole is too low on GED. He seems upper mid tier to me." I was similarly borderline-positive on cable. So I don't have a problem with the idea that not every character should be evaluated against the meta.  it's just that Carol seems a lot worse than that, so criticism seems warranted.

Additionally, the current meta is getting fairly old by mpq standards, (about 8 months for thorkoye, since ethr Gambit nerf, and about 6 months for kitty and her semi-meta position). So people are starting to look for the *next thing*  and Demi did some atypical things that might suggest  that they are anticipating a meta-shift, all of which may contribute to frustrations over carol's mediocrity.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Whenever I think of developer playtesting, I think back to the contest to create your best team and what odd results the winners were in the opinion of most of us on the forums (https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/67949/mpq-infographic-best-team-contest-winners-10-2-17).  I'm guessing their playtesting is largely simulated game, similar to the ones implied by the contest infographic, which would invariably lead to drastically different results than live people playing in a highly-competitive environment.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    I see 2 conflicting ideologies here: should they make new characters appeal to casual players or competitive players? (Of course, there's a spectrum of players between casual and competitive).

Competitive players surely spend the most money, so pleasing them is good for business, but that can also lead to power creep, which could ultimately destroy a game. It's been said that achieving 0 turn wins is "jumping the shark", and I agree.  I want a game that requires strategy and skill (but I also have a competitive nature).  So, they need to slow down the power creep by releasing average characters that hopefully appeal to more casual players. I think one of their goals is to convert casual FTP players into more competitive spending players. 

Hindsight is always 20-20. I think it was too early for them to release another meta breaking 5* character, so instead they made the Favorite Legends store for more people to get the meta and have fun with it. When that gets tiresome, I would expect another meta breaking character. Bishop certainly shook up the 4* meta (along with Kitty). Honestly, it will be hard to make a combo better than Thorkoye....quick AP production, huge AOE and true healing. Gritty is close with its purely passive power death cascades. 

So, I guess I'm trying to say that every new character shouldn't redefine the meta, but they also shouldn't be duds either.  Power creep happens in nearly all games to keep players interested, so old characters in this game should be updated to keep them relevant, (which might challenge the meta and increase variety). The power creep is naturally kept in check in PVP since the top meta characters fight each other, but PVE needs periodic updates to avoid 0 turn wins (like new SCLs). 
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_bDkMRTAjw

Good video, hopefully the folks at Demiurge watch it a couple of times and learn something from it.
  • Vhailorx
    I love that we got the same video posted twice in this thread!
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think when designing characters they are trying too hard to make interesting and new mechanics that they feel will make the game fresh and interesting.  Here are some of the powers they have made recently.  

Loki purple with basically infinate black CD and then destroying those CD doing damage.  It is actually a really strong power.

Loki green repeater AOE repeater damage good in theory but way too long of a repeater tile to be good.

kitty buffing tiles.  Amazing power with grocket.  New top tier power.  

Kitty red gives special tiles when when you get hit.  Horrible power most people never use.

king pin blue give a special tile possible big damage and steal AP.  Problem is it is too conditional.

king pin green can give attack tiles and repeater dial doing direct damage.  Attack tiles are weak ,and repeater does not fire often enough.

cable blue stun plus green charge to ecxelerate healing 

god emperor doom true healing when an enemy makes a yellow or black match and steals AP.  Actually a really good power true heal and AP steal

Doom burst healing  and board shuffle just weak.

mow 5* carol heavy repeater and CD dependent.  Red, green and yellow are all interesting mechanics, but too often will get matched away because of random placement and multiple turns for CD to go off.

overall I think they are just overthinking what we want and are error on the side of caution rather than creating another Gambit.  The problem is they don’t go back and rebalance characters enough after release.
  • Zeofar
    Zeofar Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    edited February 2019
    Vhailorx said:

Did Demi think marvel was really good? (This would explain the various resource drains that they have implemented over the past 6 weeks, but would also strongly suggest that Demi doesn't understand their own game)

Did Demi know that marvel was mediocre at best? (This might be Demi's continued work to fleshbout a slow, defensive style of play, but then why work so hard to bleed cp out of the game in advance of her release?)
    This is twisted logic. What you're trying to do confirm speculation that Carol is intended to be a meta-defining character with nothing to support that conclusion. The recent stores/sales don't necessarily need a special explanation relating to Carol's power level.
    So what if a lot of players were certain that Carol was going to be a super splashy design on the level of Kitty, Thor, and Okoye? They were wrong, she isn't, and it's fine to admit that. It doesn't need to prove that "Demi can't do balance" just because it doesn't line up with expectations founded on pure speculation. As HoundofShadow pointed out, it's pretty obvious that this character doesn't tick the usual boxes for competitive interest, and it's probably safe to assume that Demi understands this.

If you're really committed to the premise that there is some kind of resource-drain manipulation going on, at least be prepared to think a little more broadly. Perhaps they think they can get a better read on players' interest in these stores when they precede a highly anticipated release (I.e. whether they're found good enough to justify losing investment something else that is expected to be valuable). Maybe it's an attempt to condition players into believing that stores like this before a release are a signal that the new character will be underwhelming; and that they can trigger a whale spending spree at some point by subverting this expectation.
    Alternatively, there's the possibility that the coordination you're certain exists is more coincidence than anything else. Support Circuit was introduced recently. Can you explain how that plays into the Captain Marvel release as well?