Just a quick rant about Shield Training...

bbigler
bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
So, for the first time ever I was able to "complete" Shield Training, meaning that I had all 4*s at level 209 or higher.  I then got a random Magik cover, which was blue, and I was happy about that. I then worked hard at the Strange Sights event and got top 10, which gave me 3 Magik covers, making her 1/1/2.  My alliance finished top 100 and I got another blue cover, making her 1/1/3.  In her PVP event, I can get another blue cover, making her 1/1/4.  Not only is this imbalanced, but it won't take her to level 168 for Shield Training, so I can't get the 10,000 ISO reward because it's conveniently set at 5200 points, not 5000. I thought my hard work would pay off, but apparently not.  I guess these "top end" rewards are intended for whales, especially the LT at the very end of Shield Training.  But if you're a whale with a 5* roster, do these extra rewards even matter?

Comments

• SNKAllen
    SNKAllen Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
    5* player here and nobody goes for the LT unless u whale. I generally get to 8-10 covers every 4* release just by playing hard in PvE & PvP.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,247 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hitting the top reward (LT) is IMO much more about bragging rights than an LT.  To get it means you whaled somewhere in the order of 3-5 covers for a new 4; doing so means opening lots of new release store tokens; or clearing a number of vaults, both of which are solidly in whale territory (spending hundreds to thousands of dollars a month, or perhaps hoarding HP for a long time).  Anyone having or buying those kinds of resources isn't that worried about an LT more or less, really.  I also wonder who bothers much, although my ST bracket has one whale with 7K points and a 550 Gambit.

I have been pretty consistently getting to 168 for a while thanks to placement in PVE, PVP, or both, and pulling the cover from the "and Friends" vaults most of the time.  I do not whale any new release.  Being in a high end alliance helps a lot with getting more tokens for pulls on that vault.  Getting 10K iso is pretty unexciting at this point, as I have 3.8+ million that I have no use for.

Now, I am a 4 year vet and have all the 4's champed (except the most recent ones - Namor, Spider-Ham).  That's a whole 'nother topic re: how likely it is for a FTP (which I mostly was while champing the 4 tier) player to get everyone to 209 at this point coming new to the game.  I suppose you can go hard at the vault since all 3 characters will populate in there along with the 7000 HP HFH offer.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    I forgot about the red cover from the Hunt..... that would make her 1/2/4, which is level 152. So, I would need to get lucky and get her blue cover from the vault using any free tokens, but I'm certainly not spending 2800 HP for another cover when the reward is just 10K ISO and 1 CP. 

But I'm generally annoyed that they purposely give us an imbalance of colors for new characters. My Namor is currently 0/2/3. But I will say that after the Shield Sim progression reward and the next PVE placement rewards, he'll be 2/3/4, which isn't bad. 
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    The last node requires 13 covers for the new character to unlock. It's literally impossible to get that many covers from rewards alone, you need lucky pulls too.
    The fourth node only requires 7 or 8 covers to unlock though and gives enough points to get the last progression reward. As long as I can finish that node I consider it a good release.

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I can get at most 5 covers without lucky pulls: 3 from PvE placement, 1 from PvE Progression, 1 from PvP progression.

Getting a cover from Shield Training is not for me yet. 

There are a total of 9 covers that can be earned for the first run:

1) PvP that rewards new 4*: 2 placement covers
    2) PvE that rewards new 4*: 3 covers from placement + 1 from alliance placement
    3) New 4* shield training: 1 cover 
    4) New 4* PvP: 1 progession cover
    5) PvE with new 4* as Essential: 1 progression cover

Getting 7 out of 9 covers are pretty good. Just placed well enough in PvP to earn that extra cover and you won't need to whale.  B)
  • Quebbster
    2) PvE that rewards new 4*: 3 covers from placement + 1 from alliance placement

I do Believe that the top 2 in SCL 9 gets four placement covers, so you can in theory get 10 covers from rewards alone. But that still means you need Three covers through pulls.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2019
    That's right. It says something like "an extra cover of (insert new 4*) plus previous rank covers", based on memory. 

Tons of luck needed to pull for another 3 covers or tons of HP needed. That extra LT is probably not worth amount of HP spent.
  • Quebbster
    That's right. It says something like "an extra cover of (insert new 4*) plus previous rank covers", based on memory. 

Tons of luck needed to pull for another 3 covers or tons of HP needed. That extra LT is probably not worth amount of HP spent.
    You can buy the Daily Deal 40-pack in the Magik & Friends vault every day for its six day run, that should Clean it out Three times and netting you Three Magik covers (assuming you don't get lucky and get it in the first 40-pack and then reset the vault). That will only set you back 60 000 HP, or Three Stark Salaries.