Blow stash on current LL store ?

tonypq
tonypq Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
March last year I started building a stash of LL tokens and CPs for the 300 pulls to blow on the LL store. Had some MPQ burnout and took me longer to get to the 300 pulls as I quit for a while, but I have enough for 300 pulls now. I don't have any fully covered 5s so going the LL route was my plan. 

Thoughts if I should blow my stash now or wait to see who replaces Cable ?

I like Kitty a good deal, but with Cable/KP in LLs, just couldn't get myself to try for her, maybe I should have though ugh. I am a big Dr. Doom fan, although not in love with his 5* abilities it could be worse. I wouldn't  mind getting Doom, but still not too amped up with Cable and KP in with him.

Also once I actually do use my stash, I'll likely be depleted in LL tokens and CPs. I have several classic 5s at 7 or more covers that will be hard to finish then. Curious which ones you'd set as favorites for bonus covers, number of covers I have is after their names. Only OML has 5 covers in one power, the rest I can use any cover.

Which classic 5s would you favorite for bonus covers ?

OML 11
Iron Man 8
Thanos 8
Panther 7
Silver Surfer 8

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    The hype now is to wait for 5* Captain Marvel to debut in MPQ to own the meta. The truth will be known somewhere in March because that's when her movie will be released. I believe the consensus would be wait for March. Dr Doom will still be in LT by then, so don't worry. 

As for which 5* to cover depends on your goals. Are you going to race for the top? If you answer yes, Thanos is your first choice. You suffered burn out once, so I doubt you would want to race to the top again.

If I were you, I would just BH characters whose abilities that I like if I'm going to play casually. Most of the 5* that you have have feeders. You can use a two prong approach by concentrating on the feeders as well. 
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2019
    If you have to post a thread for advice about what to do, the best answer is generally to hoard.

Personally, this current crop of 5* doesn't seem worth a binge to me.  Cable is mid tier, GED might be a bit better, and KP seems boderline trash.  I will probably be waiting for GED + MCU Carol + X.  That group is unlikely to be much worse than the current set.

As for BH: thanos is the best of those, followed by OML/SS (since 5* true healers are always worth having).  But build matters too.  A 3/4/3 OML is a great choice for BH, but a 1/5/5 not so much.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    Keep hoarding, wait until Kingpin Leaves, then go for it.  I think Doom is mid-high tier.  If you don't fully cover that batch of 5*s, then just keep pulling until you do.  5*BH your Thanos, IMO.  He's the most useful.  I hope your 4*s are mostly champed, cause you could get a ton of champ rewards and more LL pulls.
  • Richyyy
    Richyyy Posts: 305 Mover and Shaker
    I'd definitely wait. If a significant proportion of your hoard is in CP rather than tokens, I'd also be tempted to wait for a useful special store, rather than spending it in Latests. I wouldn't be particularly excited about spending a hoard on any of the current three, but it's a long wait until they're all gone. If you're really lucky the special store for the expected 5* Captain Marvel will be something like 'Girl Power!' with Cap, Kitty and Okoye (or, more realistically, one of those two and Wasp).
  • tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    Richyyy said:
    I'd definitely wait. If a significant proportion of your hoard is in CP rather than tokens, I'd also be tempted to wait for a useful special store, rather than spending it in Latests. I wouldn't be particularly excited about spending a hoard on any of the current three, but it's a long wait until they're all gone. If you're really lucky the special store for the expected 5* Captain Marvel will be something like 'Girl Power!' with Cap, Kitty and Okoye (or, more realistically, one of those two and Wasp).
    I've currently got 153 LL and 3603 CPs. So kind of 50/50 for LL and CPs.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,581 Chairperson of the Boards
    tonypq said:
    Richyyy said:
    I've currently got 153 LL and 3603 CPs. So kind of 50/50 for LL and CPs.

So your basic math for LT (or special event/new release Legendary Tokens, for that matter,) is on average you will draw one of each character for every 20 draws.  That's strictly a rule of thumb, of course.  RNG will determine how many and which 5*s you draw, but the more you draw the more likely it is to average out.  So right now you have just under 300 draws - so on average that's 15 of each.  Juuuuust over what you need to finish all three.

Unfortunately that's not a lot of wiggle room for RNG - 6 covers total.  I'm not an expert in statistics, just have a basic grasp, but IIRC the number to blow your hoard is noticeably higher if you want to complete all three.

As others said, I'd probably wait.  Cable is kind of meh - he's okay at best.  Doom seems a bit better, but he still only has one really good active power.  Kingpin is ... well I think he's a bit of a mess, frankly.  Not utter trash, but he doesn't excel at anything enough to make it close to the median of the tier.

• Kahmon
    Kahmon Posts: 625 Critical Contributor
    Sound like you want Doom as a fan and are trying to decide when best to chase him. As mentioned, people are pretty sure the next 5* will be Captain Marvel and she's coming in with high expectations.

My advice is to wait until the 5* after her is announced (probably an Endgame tie-in) and decide whether you prefer them or Kingpin.
    If Kingpin then bust before rotation, otherwise wait 2 more weeks and pull from Doom/Carol/TBA.
  • Vhailorx
    Kahmon said:
    Sound like you want Doom as a fan and are trying to decide when best to chase him. As mentioned, people are pretty sure the next 5* will be Captain Marvel and she's coming in with high expectations.

My advice is to wait until the 5* after her is announced (probably an Endgame tie-in) and decide whether you prefer them or Kingpin.
    If Kingpin then bust before rotation, otherwise wait 2 more weeks and pull from Doom/Carol/TBA.

Betting that the next 5* is Carol seems like a very very safe bet.  But expectations that she will be good seem totally misplaced.  People had the same expectations for 4* iron fist, because the 3* version is so good.  But we don't get lazy tier upgrades anymore, so there is no reason to expect that 4* Carol's excellence will extend to a new design.

(Unless there is datamined info of which I am not aware)
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx said:
    Kahmon said:

Betting that the next 5* is Carol seems like a very very safe bet.  But expectations that she will be good seem totally misplaced.  People had the same expectations for 4* iron fist, because the 3* version is so good.  But we don't get lazy tier upgrades anymore, so there is no reason to expect that 4* Carol's excellence will extend to a new design.

(Unless there is datamined info of which I am not aware)
    Made a thread on this very topic a month ago

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/76803/the-elusive-5-carol/p1
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx said:
    4* Iron Fist turned out pretty good though, so perhaps not the best example.  People certainly made fun of his appearance (Hobo Fist), but he plays decently well in the game: he's self fuelling, hits hard, and has synergy with Luke Cage (i.e. flipping Cage's protect tiles to strikes).  It's not identical to the 3* version, but there are some common themes.
    I agree that we're unlikely to see a "lazy" 5* Captain Marvel, but I suspect there will be similar parallels.  Perhaps something that deals damage based on enemy action, something that produces strikes, something that buffs special tiles, etc.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    jamesh said:
    Vhailorx said:
    4* Iron Fist turned out pretty good though, so perhaps not the best example.  People certainly made fun of his appearance (Hobo Fist), but he plays decently well in the game: he's self fuelling, hits hard, and has synergy with Luke Cage (i.e. flipping Cage's protect tiles to strikes).  It's not identical to the 3* version, but there are some common themes.
    I agree that we're unlikely to see a "lazy" 5* Captain Marvel, but I suspect there will be similar parallels.  Perhaps something that deals damage based on enemy action, something that produces strikes, something that buffs special tiles, etc.

4* Iron Fist is one of those characters that need a few champion levels to really shine though - the more the better. He is good, but not as good as the 3* version was on release.

I Think a certain portion of the players will be disappointed with anything less powerful than pre-nerf Gambit... And I hope Captain Marvel doesn't hit quite that level. We will see in due time though.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,101 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nothing wrong with 4* Iron Fist. If anything, he is underrated.
  • randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    DAZ0273 said:
    4* Fist boosted with Vulture is pretty nasty.

As for the topic at hand.  Wait.  Just wait.
  • Vhailorx
    edited February 2019
    DAZ0273 said:

4* if is the cable of 4* land. He hits plenty hard enough to be useful, but is too slow to be top tier. His synergy with 4* cage is a nice boost to his value. But he really needs a battery to shine. And the way his self synergy works means that he is one of the few characters that would benefit hugely from a 5/5/5 build.

But to the topic at hand, the point isn't that 4* if is bad.  It's that 3* if was better than all but two 4*s on release and totally flipped the 3* meta.  Using that level of strength to set expectations for 4* if would have been a mistake.  (The 4* equivalents of 3*if are Medusa and Carol, and maybe bishop more recently, not hobo fist).
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,101 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx said:
    DAZ0273 said:

4* if is the cable of 4* land. He hits plenty hard enough to be useful, but is too slow to be top tier. His synergy with 4* cage is a nice boost to his value. But he really needs a battery to shine. And the way his self synergy works means that he is one of the few characters that would benefit hugely from a 5/5/5 build.

But to the topic at hand, the point isn't that 4* if is bad.  It's that 3* if was better than all but two 4*s on release and totally flipped the 3* meta.  Using that level of strength to set expectations for 4* if would have been a mistake.  (The 4* equivalents of 3*if are Medusa and Carol, not hobo fist).
    I can see where you are coming from, although I think he is less gimmicky than Cable.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    Iron Fist is brutally underrated. Just inside the top 20 imo. And that’s in a tier of almost 80. 4* players sleep at your own risk. He is also NOT slow. He’s one of the faster characters in the tier and if you build the right team can be even faster. 
  • Vhailorx
    edited February 2019
    Iron Fist is brutally underrated. Just inside the top 20 imo. And that’s in a tier of almost 80. 4* players sleep at your own risk. He is also NOT slow. He’s one of the faster characters in the tier and if you build the right team can be even faster. 

At the risk of straying further off topic:

(1) if is not bad.  He is second tier.  Top 20-30ish out of 80+sounds about right to me. So we mostly agree on him.

(2) he is not fast.  He has a 6ap power, but it needs 2 casts (or another source of strikes) to be truly worth using.  So that's a 12ap power.  His green is his worst power, and costs 8 for mediocre damage.  And if you max it out so 8t does acceptable, then it's hard to max either blue or black, which are better powers.  His black is a good nuke for the 4* tier, but at 12 it is slow, and sadly overlaps with vulture, who is probably his best battery. 

And again, back on topic: 5* Carol is almost certainly coming, might or might not be good, and is probably worth waiting for given the mediocrity of cable and trashiness of KP.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx said:

(2) he is not fast.  He has a 6ap power, but it needs 2 casts (or another source of strikes) to be truly worth using.  So that's a 12ap power.  His green is his worst power, and costs 8 for mediocre damage.  And if you max it out so 8t does acceptable, then it's hard to max either blue or black, which are better powers.  His black is a good nuke for the 4* tier, but at 12 it is slow, and sadly overlaps with vulture, who is probably his best battery.  
    I was running my 368 Fist with Thor in PVE.
    His blue is useless in that setup, so 3/5/5 all the way.
    You'd be surprised how fast that "mediocre damage" ramps up.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    My primary goal is to cover GED.  My plan, as of right now, is to wait until Cable moves out of tokens as I already have one cover for him and don't need any others.  When he does, I will pull until I get 1 KP cover (the only 5* I don't have a cover for atm) as I will want at least one cover of his for 5* nodes in PvE.  I will then make a decision as to wait until KP rotates out or pull all the rest of my tokens/CP then.  If you really want to cover GED, make him your BH as well, that is what I am doing.
  • Vhailorx
    Bowgentle said:
    Vhailorx said:

I was running my 368 Fist with Thor in PVE.
    His blue is useless in that setup, so 3/5/5 all the way.
    You'd be surprised how fast that "mediocre damage" ramps up.

You are not talking about how good IF is, you are talking about how good Thor is. 

Also, 368 is kind of any unfair comparison point for typical users.  Don't max-champed 4*s have the best damage/AP efficiency in the game? They definitely do when boosted.

8ap for ~5k damage (plus the secondary effects) is just what I said, mediocre.  It's not bad, and not great.  But double that efficiency via champ covers, and then add 5/3 of green ap for free every turn, and you can definitely do a ton of damage. You could also do a ton of damage using Thor to fuel a 370 4* Cage's yellow.