Kitty is gone, what next to build 5e coverage?

abenness
abenness Posts: 228 Tile Toppler
My Gritty team is competitive for placement in SCL7 or SCL8 when I have the 5e, and I can get to 40 wins in pvp, if not reaching 900 points first.  So I am rolling along gameplay-wise.

But I'm in a curious position now that Kitty has rotated out.  My Cable is 5/2/2, and Kingpin 0/1/2, and my LL/CP down to zero.

So, do I spend on LL, or CL, or hoard?  It comes down to 5e coverage.

How many times will GED be the 5e each 6-week rotation?  Is it worthwhile to keep pulling LL until I get a cover for him? 

Keep pulling LL for a GED

I think it probably is, because I would be happy with any colour GED, or a blue Kingpin (just for all his powers available), or a green or yellow Cable to make him easier to eventually feed.  So 6 out of 9 possible 5* covers are a good result for me, with a GED being a "great" result. But ask me again if I start pulling more Kingpins and I will be sad.

Hoard until Cable and/or Kingpin rotate out
Hoarding now won't build a lot, but would give a better chance of coverage for the next 1 (or 2 or 3) 5* releases.  But it leaves my 5e coverage currently at a bit over 40%, only to drop further with each release until I pull again.

Champ the 4*, stop worrying about 5's
All 4's are rostered (except 3), but only 3 are champed, and I have only 8 of the classic 5*.  So I will be iso-bound for a long time as I bring them all up, but at least will get LL tokens for their first champ level each time.

@bbigler has suggested in other posts that I would start seeing 4* feeding 5* - has anyone experienced this in particular to building 5e coverage just while working on 4's?

Has anyone been in this position who can offer some advice?  eg deciding what to do after blowing their first mini-hoard on Jessica or Okoye, and figuring out what to do next?

Or, why not cover Cable??
I guess this is also an option, 6 weeks is a decent amount of time to get 4 more covers, even though I wouldn't champ him until I was ready and had a good partner for him. I'd probably be happier if this just happened while I was pulling for GED :)

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    6 weeks is not that much time to get cable finished.  You need ~ 120 pulls on average (since you have blue at 5 covers, you actually only have a 3.33333% chance of a useful cable cover from each LT).  Do you get 20 LT pulls a week?

Additionally, having 5 in cable's green means you can't draw him to 11 or 12/13 and then hop to finish him with a 4* feeder (at least not unless your 4*s are all in the 320+ range.
      And finally, cable isn't really all that great either.  Not bad by any means, but he is slow in a speedy meta.  

I would tend to favor hoarding until cable and kingpin are both out of the pool (especially if 5* carol is any good).  There is an argument to be made for pulling the cable/KP/GED tokens at least until you get 1 GED cover, just to make sure you can play every 5e node.  But after that, I think you are unlikely to see much tangible benefit from pulling now, and as your post suggests, even the value of that strategy is dubious.  In general, the rule of thumb in MPQ is "when in doubt, just start hoarding."  It's almost always the best choice available to the player.

Also, I would definitely start champing 4*s.  champing is useful for gameplay, but it's most important feature is the rewards it provides, It is an especially important source of cp.  
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,244 Chairperson of the Boards
    I could try to guess how many times Doom will be a 5E before Cable rotates out, but a good ballpark is twice.  The usual number is 6 times per Latest 5, while they are in Latest.  There may be a slightly longer period for Doom depending on release dates.

So pulling for a Doom is definitely worth considering.  Especially so you are ready for the time Doom is a 5E for a new release.  (I don't think he will be essential for the next new 4, but after that event).  You could hoard until you feel like you need him or not and assess when that time comes.

In terms of 5Es from 4's, yes of course you can do that.  But you need to get those feeders to 280, and that probably means bonusing them or pulling enough covers to get your whole roster of 4's to 280 given the Full Dilution era we are in.  So approximately every 80 pulls or so (each new 4 raises that number), you'll on average add one level to everyone (or one cover since you don't have them all champed).

It is worth considering, when choosing which 4's to champ, which 5's you are missing in conjunction with the relative strength of their feeders.  Ex:  If you are missing Spidey, Vulture feeds him and is also one of the best 4's in the game.  No brainer.  Same with America to get JJ.  Others might be trickier, like champing Jubilee (ummm) to get Phoenix...., Sandman to get Goblin...... but maybe it would be worth it to get access to the 5E and possible placement in an event every 6 months or so.
  • abenness
    edited February 2019
    Vhailorx said:
    Also, I would definitely start champing 4*s.  champing is useful for gameplay, but it's most important feature is the rewards it provides, It is an especially important source of cp.  
    Absolutely, I should clarify that only 4 of my 4* have gotten to 13 covers, I do level-209 and champ them as I go, depending on iso income.

I'll assess when GED comes up as 5e. A Wednesday-night 5-hour commitment over my preferred end-slice time means I can't compete mid-week anyway as two subs are non-optimal. So if he comes up for then probably no big deal to keep hoarding.

And good point on the stats for Cable pulls.  I don't have that CP income to be confident of getting there.

This might also be a good time for me to selectively do some events for progression rather than placement.  I used to constantly fret over the daily sub top50 100HP that I needed for roster slots, but being past that now, I am spending HP as I go on daily deals, no real drama to missing it for an occasional event.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've been thinking/feeling the same way @abenness. Now that Kitty is gone, what's the plan? I'll post something later in my "starting over" thread, but here's my advice to you.......

I'm guessing your LL weekly pull rate is 10 or less? It seems unlikely that your Cable will get near completion in 5 weeks (it would take around 126 pulls), so I'd say to scrap that plan. I like GEDoom though and you have about 17 weeks to cover him, but it comes down to your LL pull rate, which needs to be at least 15 per week to have a chance at fully covering him. That's just a chance, you would have to get lucky. I would estimate that GEDoom will be required in 5 PVEs before leaving Latest. 

Getting Classic 5* covers from 4* feeders does happen, but it may take a year for it to start happening for you. I wouldn't spend my CP on something that's bound to happen anyway. 

Given where you are now, my recommendation is to pull until you get 1 Doom cover (~20 pulls), then hoard until he leaves.  You need time to champ more 4*s and increase your LL rate so that you can have a good chance of completing a future 5* or two. If the next 5* appears meta defining or they would go well with Kitty, then go for it after Doom leaves, otherwise keep saving.  It takes a lot of pulls!
  • justsing
    justsing Posts: 507 Critical Contributor
    I would focus on building your 4*s. Hoard LLs and pull when you need a single cover for the 5e node. Otherwise, spend your CP on Classics to get more 4* champs and also more classic 5*s. 
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,894 Chairperson of the Boards
    If it were me, I too would pull for a single Doom. Maybe you get a string of Cables along the way and reevaluate if you want to keep pulling for him. Just hope to avoid Fisk. 
  • RPIJG
    RPIJG Posts: 25 Just Dropped In
    If you want more 5's, then going to champing 4's will get you there.  

5tar lord from Drax
    DD from 4* kingpin
    black bolt from medusa etc

There are some that don't have feeders, for those bonus hero them and hope you get lucky.  If you're trying to roster 5's that aren't currently in latest's, don't pull latests.  Pull classics.  I also don't think having a full covered cable/kingpin/doom is much help unless you plan on using them alot (I wouldn't) or you already have a full roster and you're just keeping up with release (which it doesn't sound like you fall into that category)
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I used to be a serial hoarder but since the advent of saved covers and my roster progressing to the point that LTs and CP come much easier, I just pull as I go.  If/when I finish the oldest character in latest I'll do a mini hoard till they leave, but that hasn't happened often, especially since my income has slowed down after dropping PvP.  Kitty was the first one I haven't champed before they left latest in a very long time.  She left with 4/4/4 though so I'm not all that worried.  She's BH'd and she should eventually get a feeder, I'll get her sooner or later.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm never sure what to do if the oldest one gets champed. Do I keep pulling to try to give them a few levels? Or do I just hold back and wait for the next one to get my foot in the door quicker?

Guess it depends who the character is. Getting Wasp champed would have been enough. 450 is all you need there. But Okoye would have benefitted from as many covers as possible.
  • hilsen2
    hilsen2 Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    Im debating dropping 500 cp on H4H GED so i do not waste CP on Kingpin and Cable.

Kingpin took over 900 CP for me to get one black cover, although i did get 5 Thanos, 2 Dr Ock, and 2 5* BH in the process.

It is a tough call.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    hilsen2 said:
    Im debating dropping 500 cp on H4H GED so i do not waste CP on Kingpin and Cable.

Kingpin took over 900 CP for me to get one black cover, although i did get 5 Thanos, 2 Dr Ock, and 2 5* BH in the process.

It is a tough call.
    TThe chance of getting Doom is 5% or one in 20, so on average 20 pulls should be enough to get a cover. That's 500 CP, and you get champ levels for other characters that way. I think it's the better option if you don't care about the color of the cover you get.
  • abenness
    hilsen2 said:

It is a tough call.
    Sorry, I don’t think that is a tough call. 500 is just too expensive for a single cover for a not-well-regarded character. I will be reserving 250 CP for Kitty yellow or purple when they eventually come around, but you would surely do better spending on tokens.

Even if you waited until both Cable and Kingpin rotated out, you would have missed maybe 4 events of Doom 5e, but would have 20 pulls head-start for Doom and the next 2 (or a good release store)

I would wager many people would be thrilled with 5 covers for Thanos and two 5* bonus hero’s, I hope you were too :)
  • hilsen2
    hilsen2 Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    So I decided to risk it and role for GED instead of the 500 CP just to do a test.

5 rolls in and i got him so i just saved 375 CP plus gained four 4 stars.

I stand corrected and rolling is better than the 500 H4H.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    To play the devil's advocate, what if 25 pulls in and you didn't get GED? What would your next plan of action be?
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    hilsen2 said:
    So I decided to risk it and role for GED instead of the 500 CP just to do a test.

Glad you got the cover you wanted quickly, but this is terrible logic.  Your sample size is literally 1.  The results you got are effectively useless in evaluating the ideal strategy for using resources.

Rolling the dice with LTs IS almost always better than the 500 H4H covers, but that would remain true even if you spent 1k CP and never got a GED cover. . .
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,159 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx said:
    hilsen2 said:

Glad you got the cover you wanted quickly, but this is terrible logic.  Your sample size is literally 1.  The results you got are effectively useless in evaluating the ideal strategy for using resources.

Rolling the dice with LTs IS almost always better than the 500 H4H covers, but that would remain true even if you spent 1k CP and never got a GED cover. . .
    Indeed. Just to use my own example from the Masked Vengeance store:

I got my 7/3/0 Ghost Rider up to 7/4/4 in just over 40 pulls. That's 5 covers - all usable - in just over 40 pulls, aka just over 1000CP. In this scenario, 500CP for one cover is indeed a poor deal.

In that same store, I got one Goblin cover from 111 pulls. ONE. In this scenario, 500CP for one cover is an excellent deal.

There is really no ideal strategy, because RNG doesn't give a toss about that word.
  • Quebbster
    I repeat what I said above: The 20 pulls you get for 500 CP should on average net you one cover of the fivestar you seek. That doesn't mean you are guaranteed to get it in 20 pulls - sometimes you need more pulls, sometimes you need less. But what you lose out on with the HfH option is the other 19 pulls and the associated champion rewards.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    I'd jump on the chance to get purple or blue covers for Hawkeye for 500cp each, just to play him with coulson and shuri.

sometimes you care less about other characters you could have drawn
  • Quebbster
    ammenell said:
    I'd jump on the chance to get purple or blue covers for Hawkeye for 500cp each, just to play him with coulson and shuri.

Classic characters are different since they are cheaper and harder to get. There are currently 28 fivestars in Classic Legends, so the odds of getting a cover for the specific one you need is around 1 in 200. So on average you would need to spend 4000 CP to get a cover for a Classic fivestar, in that case it is definitely better to go for the 250 CP option.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,651 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster said:
    ammenell said:

Classic characters are different since they are cheaper and harder to get. There are currently 28 fivestars in Classic Legends, so the odds of getting a cover for the specific one you need is around 1 in 200. So on average you would need to spend 4000 CP to get a cover for a Classic fivestar, in that case it is definitely better to go for the 250 CP option.
    I would still take my 12 random 4*'s with a chance on 5*'s over 1 5* of my choosing though.