Getting to 5* Territory looking for advice

calarahil
calarahil Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
Hey, so just looking for some friendly advice on where to progress on 5 stars. My main goal for a while was to get Thor 5* to 13 first and then go from there however, my cable is now at 12 covers and my thor is at 11. Do I try and finish off Thor first or go with Cable. I'm not huge on pvp I just play to get the 10 command points after 16 wins and I try to place within top 10 in sl7 in story mode. Below those two my other 5 stars are around 8 covers Kitty pride, Okoye, Dr Strange. Anything to point me in the right direction would be really helpful thanks :)

Comments

• MushroomGenius808
    MushroomGenius808 Posts: 138 Tile Toppler
    Do you plan to level them up at all or just keep them at a soft cap?  Whatever you do, you want Thor tanking as few colors as possible as you try to keep him just below 50% health without exposing him to chip damage and the opponent's powers.

At similar levels, Thor tanks green over Cable.  Cable tanks yellow over Thor.  Okoye is good because she buffs power damage via team up tile accumulation and also has a true heal in her yellow.  At similar levels, Thor tanks red over Okoye, but Okoye takes yellow over both of them.

Your 4*s would need to be significantly higher than Thor to get them to tank.  For example, my 318 Bl4de has only 99 match damage in Green, the highest of my 4*s, Black Bolt's green match damage at 255 is already 148.
  • calarahil
    edited January 2019
    Do you plan to level them up at all or just keep them at a soft cap?  Whatever you do, you want Thor tanking as few colors as possible as you try to keep him just below 50% health without exposing him to chip damage and the opponent's powers.

At similar levels, Thor tanks green over Cable.  Cable tanks yellow over Thor.  Okoye is good because she buffs power damage via team up tile accumulation and also has a true heal in her yellow.  At similar levels, Thor tanks red over Okoye, but Okoye takes yellow over both of them.

Your 4*s would need to be significantly higher than Thor to get them to tank.  For example, my 318 Bl4de has only 99 match damage in Green, the highest of my 4*s, Black Bolt's green match damage at 255 is already 148.
    Well, none of my 4*'s are over level 300 yet I closest one I have is agent Coulson hes at 299. My, main focus has been to ensure that I can get my heroes all to at least 10 covers in the 4 star range. At the current moment before namor I have all up to 10 excluding spider pig limited and taskmaster At this moment I have 51 champed heroes with 18 non champed 4 stars. Ideally what I would like is possibly both of them champed so I can start ranking a little higher and possible move into ranking in sl8. 
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Entering 5* land is a kind of like playing a whole different game.  Your available pvp matches will change a lot, and your ability to gain points efficiently with it (even if you just play to 500-600).

As mushroom says, the trick with Thor is that he has very high match damage (even for a 5*), but you want him tanking as little as possible.

I might be a little hesitant to champ 5*s when you have 2 anywhere near covered (and neither is a true healer).  In pvp you will need to run all cable + Thor all the time (and they have a lot of color overlap).

So maybe softcap at 350 or so, where your boosted 4*s might be able to tank a color 9r two for Thor.

As for the relatively value of the 2 characters: Thor is one of the best 3 or 4 5*s in the game (along with okoye, kitty when played with grocket, and maybe JJ for her pvp defensive utility).  Cable is perfectly fine, but not in that class. His major problem is that he needs to collect 9 blue to get his self-acceleration going.  If his blue were 6 or 7ap, or if you didn't have to give your opponent first chance to use the charged green tiles, he would be a lot better.

• calarahil
    Some context about your playstyle would help us give you suitable advice. For example:

- What is your current iso, CP and LT acquisition rate? Since you have 58 4* champed, I would say you're acquiring these resources at a relatively comfortable rate. Based on my assumptions, you should be able to complete Cable before he leaves Latests. I'm a huge critic of Cable's Blue, but his Green and Yellow are very decent. As @Vhailorx
    has said, don't champ both Cable and Thor together; your PvP experience will plummet. Instead, you can try bringing them up to lv360, max 375. That won't affect your PvP MMR. Cable also goes decently with many top 4*, like Carol, America, Peggy, Vulture, Valkyrie, Medusa, Coulson.

Unless, I'm aiming to get a new first run hero or needing a cover to get closer to 10 covers for a 4 I normally stick to completing nodes to 6/6, deadpool dailies, and new pvp runs up to the point of getting the free 10 cp at 16 wins. So, placement or pvp is general is of no interest to me. Current iso is 75k I spent some of it on Thor to outpace my current 4 star heroes I have my Thor at 405. Gold 5120 Command points 9 BlackBoltRocks said

- For Thor, what's his build like? What level is your Valkyrie? Will you be able to complete the former via the latter feeding him covers? if yes, BH the hell out of Valkyrie. If no, set Thor as your sole 5* BH and pray you don't pull dupes.

As to your main question, if you're not going to champ either one of them, it doesn't matter which one you complete and/or level first. Once you get either Cable or Thor to 13 covers, you can level them up to 360. And only once you have completed other top 5* like Kitty, Okoye, Jessica, should you start thinking about champing your 5*.
    My valk is at 283. I already the next cover maxed out red my Thor is 4/5/2 currently it would be a while before valk would be useful in returns. 

My question on soft capping is why would I avoid capping them if my goal is to place higher in pve events. 

I also asked this because I don't know how feasible it will be for you to cover Kitty before she leaves, which should be next week. You need at least 5 more covers for her, which - assuming RNG is merciful, sticks to the average numbers, and doesn't give you dupes - requires around 2500CP. Do you hoard CP and LTs? Or do you pull as you go? If you decide to pass over Kitty, God Emperor Doom is a very decent 5*. I know he's gotten a lot of flak here on the forums, but he's a very solid defensive character, and has a good Black nuke. You might want to save your resources for both Cable and Doom (the unfortunate collateral damage is Fatpin, but what can we do).
    I currently have Kitty at 8 covers it won't be possible with my cp level to get to that point of being able to get kitty. I know that she is good. The main goal I'm trying to accomplish at the moment is placing. I'm currently able to get top 10 without much work. 

• calarahil
    Vhailorx said:
    Entering 5* land is a kind of like playing a whole different game.  Your available pvp matches will change a lot, and your ability to gain points efficiently with it (even if you just play to 500-600).

As mushroom says, the trick with Thor is that he has very high match damage (even for a 5*), but you want him tanking as little as possible.

I might be a little hesitant to champ 5*s when you have 2 anywhere near covered (and neither is a true healer).  In pvp you will need to run all cable + Thor all the time (and they have a lot of color overlap).

So maybe softcap at 350 or so, where your boosted 4*s might be able to tank a color 9r two for Thor.

As for the relatively value of the 2 characters: Thor is one of the best 3 or 4 5*s in the game (along with okoye, kitty when played with grocket, and maybe JJ for her pvp defensive utility).  Cable is perfectly fine, but not in that class. His major problem is that he needs to collect 9 blue to get his self-acceleration going.  If his blue were 6 or 7ap, or if you didn't have to give your opponent first chance to use the charged green tiles, he would be a lot better.

I only do pvp for the 16 win command points I'm not doing pvp to get placement rewards. So my question is why would I avoid capping for pve.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2019
    The main reason for softcapping your 5*s is pvp, where going to 450 will change your mmr noticeably (even at lower point values).

But for Thor specifically, softcapping him is useful in pve if it lets other characters tank for him.  He is only really worth using at <50% health. So it really pays to put someone out in front of him to soak up damage (and preferraboy heal) while he provides tons of extra AP every round.  This is why okoye is such a great pair for him.  She can tank 2 of his colors when they are close in level (if necessary you can boost her red match damage with a support).

When your first 5* is a healer (DD, oml, okoye, etc) it pays dividends in pve to level as high as possible.  But for character like Thor (who needs to stay hurt but not too hurt) or strange (who is squishy as hell) it can make sense to softcapp even for pve.
  • calarahil
    Ah, didn't realize that was a thing. Thought it was just getting to a cap. What I care about was getting strokg enough to rank high at 7 or 8 sl. Honestly, I play a lot more casual and really just doing well in pve with top tier heroes is what was the draw for me.