Dev Clarifications on Season 1 Extension?

Options
NorthernPolarity
NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
edited May 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
Can we get a detailed response from a developer on what exactly extending season 1 means and why this allows players to compete fairly? The extension can be interpreted in two ways:
1. The most common interpretation: another PvP tournament will be added that counts towards season 1.
2. ONLY S.H.I.E.L.D training has been extended for two days: the next PvP tournament after the Daken one will NOT count towards season 1.

If option 1 is the case, then I'm confused about why adding another tournament would allow players to compete fairly: the server downtime affected scores in the IM40 tournament, so the only thing adding another tournament accomplishes is making the scores in IM40 count marginally less towards the season total. If option 2 is the case, then this makes more sense since people did lose time grinding shield training.

Edit: and can we please not turn this thread into another one complaining about the current situation? There are 20 other threads to do that, and I would prefer that we not drive away devs that can actually answer our questions with a bunch of hostile comments.

Comments

• daveomite
    daveomite Posts: 1,331 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm curious on this too..
  • Unknown
    Options
    I also missed the logic in how it evens things up.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Interested in this too - first thought was they were extending it by a small amount and wouldn't have time for another event, but now that I see there's exactly enough time for another PvP I'm a little worried that your case 1 is what's happening (not that that's the end of the world, but it doesn't seem necessary so why do that?). Maybe we can just get 2 days of LRs with no feature hero PvP? Since I don't see that happening, how about a non-season (or even non-alliance *gasp*) PvP?

edit: don't want to derail thread on my suggestions/hopes, so I'll take them down if asked to.
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Welcome to the team that bring fair competition!
    You may know them from previous claims such as "fun" balancing, no more ninja changes and scaling working as intended!

troy-mcclure_0.jpg
  • Unknown
    Options
    My guess is 3. There won't be another event until after the end of the season.

My guess as to the extension is partly because they expect more issues for a while due to game overload with so many players coming on at once due to seasons. The whole point is to have fewer things running at the same time so ppl moving up and down the rankings doesn't overload the server. That is my assumption.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    I think it's two things...like you mentioned, having more tournaments reduces the overall effect a single tournament has on the final score.

But, I think more than that...is that the devs probably think that for the majority of players, the final ranking isn't the big draw, it's the progression rewards...namely the 10 pack. One extra tournament gives more people the opportunity to reach that 5000 point mark (or whatever prize they are somewhat in reach for.) With the IM40 tournament difficulties, it's essentially pulling points away from people's progression points.

Doesn't really affect the high-scorers on the forum in that way, though...but will likely result in more people reaching higher up progression rewards.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I have two possible reasons, which may overlap a bit with what's been said:

1) Server instability lately. The devs would prefer to get that under control before the big push at the end of Season 1.

2) I believe the devs aren't in the office over the weekend, and pushing the end of the season into early next week allows them to be on-hand should things break down. The original end time was midnight Sunday night, Boston time.

Though given that the tournament ending Sunday night features Dak3n with 3* Thor rewards, and the 4th possible Dak3n cover at 1100 points...yeah, stacking that tournament, SHIELD Training, and Season 1 end points all simultaneously seems like a scheduling trainwreck waiting to happen.