Please help me to clear some doubts.

Day 93 player.
Shield rank 42.
Have 48 roster spots.
Have 1* spidey,all 2* rostered,32 3*,and one 4*.
Of this 5 3* champed.4*is carol have 8 covers@lvl 70.
Play both pvp and pve(4 clears).

So what happpens if i roster 5* charecters?
Everything i read says that pvp will be hard,game will be boring etc ....
So i checked a lot of rosters.
The results are here..
Most rosters contain 2-3 5* with 1 or 2 covers.
Then the highest level charecters are champed or non champed 3*.
They also score high in pvp seasons.
So how does this happen?please explain
Any way i have no intention to roster a 5* soon.
I hope everybody understand what i am talking about.

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Who you are matched against in PvP is determined by the average levels of your (3/5) highest level characters. You have 5 three-star champions, I assume they (and the average level) is around level 170. A fivestar starts at level 255, so it would raise the average level quite a bit and match you against tougher teams. A single cover fivestar doesn't have very useful powers, it's main use is the higher match damage. You may find yourself outmatched against the new opponents you get matched against.
    This is the main reason why we recommend beginning players to not open Legendary tokens until they have at least a few fourstar champions when the matchmaking isn't affected.
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Haven't the devs fixed this issue a while ago? Only rostering 5-star characters without leveling them shouldn't affect a starting players' mmr, anymore. 

Anecdotally, we have a new-ish player in our alliance who has a couple of champed 3-stars, a few fully covered 4-stars, Vulture at 240 and a couple more over 200. The rest of 3 and 4 stars are left under leveled though many are covered well or fully. He also has many 5-stars all at 255, some of which have more than a few covers. He reaches 800-900 in pvp. Says that it got a bit harder in pvp, after bringing Vulture to 240 (not sure where it was before, probably ~210 with the others).

I would roster a 5-star in OP's shoes and start a pvp to see if something changes with mmr. If it does, selling the 5-star will revert things to how they were.
  • Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 587 Critical Contributor
    It depends an awful lot on whether you level the 4*/5* characters up.

Undercovered but levelled 4s/5s are generally seriously underpowered vs champed decent 3s, aside from a bit better match damage 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2019
    These are the data that I gathered regarding PvP. It seems to be pretty accurate based on my experience up till all 3* champed and rostered.

What factors into MMR
    1) Player's character levels (between 3 to  5 of your highest leveled and boosted characters)
    2) their power levels
    3) current event score

How PvP MMR works

1) The game seeds PvP with pre-generated teams. This is where most of the points come from. 

2) you generally see opponents with a minimum difficulty of roughly one star level below you. Players with maxed 3-star teams will see maxed 2-star teams and stronger.

3) If there's a shortage of opponents worth a meaningful number of points, you can be matched with easier teams than that. And if you climb high enough in the event, anyone can see you as an opponent, even if they're much higher level. 

4) the upper bound on how difficult a team you are being matched with gradually increases as it becomes harder to find good matches for you, so you can still expect matches to get harder as you climb higher in the PvP.

Since you have majority of the 3* champed, you are likely to see level 255+ to 300++ characters. I doubt it's going to affect your MMR much.

When I was still in 3* land, I start seeing mostly champed 4* when my points hit at least 725 and above. 

I enjoy 4* PvP because my MMR will be much easier when I don't have them champed.
  • mpqavsmpqavs
    mpqavsmpqavs Posts: 51 Match Maker
    Now my opponents are usually 3 3*champs or 1 3*+2 5*which are 1 or 2 covered.
    So i will hoard my cp and LL tokens for some more time.now have 400+cp and 4 LL tokens.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster said:
    Who you are matched against in PvP is determined by the average levels of your (3/5) highest level characters. You have 5 three-star champions, I assume they (and the average level) is around level 170. A fivestar starts at level 255, so it would raise the average level quite a bit and match you against tougher teams.
    MMR doesn't account for single(/low)-cover characters with no ISO investment.

At least, that's what we've been told. Who truly understands the shrouded mysteries of MMR?
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    @mpqavsmpqavs, people have pretty much answered it, but the TLDR is you’re totally fine rostering 5* characters when you have 3* champs. I would not put any iso into your 5*’s until you have, at a minimum, 4* champs, though.  

I have a decent number of 4* champs in the ~Lv275-280 range and my 3* champs are quickly approaching Lv266, but my MMR will routinely give me rosters similar to yours or even early 2* rosters on rare occasions if that player happens to level their 5* character into the Lv330-360 range (I’m not sure how a 2* player would get a 5-7 cover 5*, but through the magic of RNG it’s definitely possible).   You REALLY don’t want to be one of those players, so keep your 5* at 255 until your roster is more developed.  You’ll find having a 5* meat shield useful, especially in PVE, to save health packs, so I wouldn’t worry about any MMR issues if I were you.
  • mpqavsmpqavs
    mpqavsmpqavs Posts: 51 Match Maker
    Thanks everybody for answers.
  • bigheroslix
    bigheroslix Posts: 8 Just Dropped In
    I have 5s rostered but am a 3-4 star transitioner. My highest 5* is 330. Instil get plenty of matches at my level or below or higher. Lots of variety. But I will not level anymore characters past 270 until I have all 4s champed. 
  • abenness
    abenness Posts: 228 Tile Toppler
    I have Kitty leveled to 370, and only 2 x 4* champs. I am mainly seeing triple 4*-champ teams with 2 or 3 of those boosted, but during the climb I see boosted 3* champs and low-level 5* also.

Also, I almost always get to the 4* cover by wins instead of points, so I don’t care that much about being hit, as long as there are teams that I can take on myself.