Szadek Lord of secrets - how does he work?

2»

Comments

• Froggy
    Froggy Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    Froggy said:
    I’ve been following this post and couldn’t take it any longer.

And so I tested it.

His effects do not trigger at all if you don’t deal damage to the PW. Not the +1/+1 and not the mana drain.

There! Settled! ;)
    Do his effects work with gravitic punch?

It shouldn’t. The effect works when Szadek deals damage to the opposing PW. Other damage dealt by other sources do not trigger that effect. Game is in maintenance now so I can’t test it. But if that effect did trigger, it would be a bug.
  • Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,641 Chairperson of the Boards
    @Froggy - thank you for caving in. 😇
    sorry to be the cause of it.

So have you tried any of the corner cases mentioned above?
    like what happens if your opponent have zero cards in hand.
  • Avahad
    Avahad Posts: 296 Mover and Shaker
    If ur opponent has zero cards you deal damage and then gain 1/1 

There is nothing not to like about this card (except the opponent stealing him)
  • Froggy
    Froggy Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    Tremayne said:
    @Froggy - thank you for caving in. 😇
    sorry to be the cause of it.

So have you tried any of the corner cases mentioned above?
    like what happens if your opponent have zero cards in hand.
    :)

As stated above - if your opponent has no cards in hand, you still get the +1/+1.

If you are blocked and no damage is dealt to PW, no effects trigger.

If you have trampler and manage to still harm PW, The effects trigger (though need to test if you hit a defender with same power as your strength - to see if you gain the +1/+1 before he dies... Will post on this once the game is up again).

I still need to test if the effect works for afflict damage.

But even if these two last points don’t work, he is still a very good creature. With Sphinx’s Tutelage and Psychic Corrosion in play, you could effectively cripple the AI no matter his cascades... I’ve had some fun using him like this - increase opponent’s mana cost while draining him. Every turn is worse and worse...
  • Tourmaline
    Tourmaline Posts: 25 Just Dropped In
    Its a very versatile card when paired with a LOT of builds

• Tilwin90
    Tilwin90 Posts: 662 Critical Contributor
    Froggy said:
    Froggy said:
    I’ve been following this post and couldn’t take it any longer.

And so I tested it.

His effects do not trigger at all if you don’t deal damage to the PW. Not the +1/+1 and not the mana drain.

There! Settled! ;)
    Do his effects work with gravitic punch?

It shouldn’t. The effect works when Szadek deals damage to the opposing PW. Other damage dealt by other sources do not trigger that effect. Game is in maintenance now so I can’t test it. But if that effect did trigger, it would be a bug.
    Gravitic Punch should cause the creature to deal the damage,  not deal it itself. 
    To quote the card:Target creature you control deals damage equal to its power to your opponent's planeswalker.