Am I The Only One Here....

Fawkes2574
Fawkes2574 Posts: 25 Just Dropped In
that thinks some of the costs are ridiculous?

My little beef here is that it costs so many command points to buy one cover for a 5 star. I mean, 720? C'mon! It can take a person forever to save up that much just to be able to upgrade one level. Then there's the 120 for four stars. The least MPQ and D3 could do is sell bundles of command points like they do with hero tokens. I can't be the only person here that thinks this is a little much.

Comments

• BigSoftieFF
    BigSoftieFF Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    My only complaint is iSo costs to champ 4*’s. I can live with everything else.
  • Fawkes2574
    I feel ya on that. But since I have nearly 900K in isos right now, its not such an issue with me at the moment.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't think the devs want to go the route of P2W. If MPQ allows direct purchase of CP, any new players can simply whale his way to the top within hours. All he needs to do is to spend thousands after thousands and he can cover 3 Latest 5*. Doing this will officially make MPQ a 100% P2W game. You might argue that it will boost their revenues, but in the long run, tons of players will start leaving the game.

On a side note, you can indirectly "buy" 140 CP by joining buy clubs that drop Stark Salaries. 
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,182 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't think the devs want to go the route of P2W. If MPQ allows direct purchase of CP, any new players can simply whale his way to the top within hours. All he needs to do is to spend thousands after thousands and he can cover 3 Latest 5*. Doing this will officially make MPQ a 100% P2W game. You might argue that it will boost their revenues, but in the long run, tons of players will start leaving the game.

On a side note, you can indirectly "buy" 140 CP by joining buy clubs that drop Stark Salaries. 
    Erm, CP CAN be purchased directly. You said it yourself with the buy clubs; no need to put the quote marks, because it IS buying. Even right from the beginning, 5* could be bought: every 40-pack was updated to guarantee 1 LT in it. A superwhale could simply buy at least 260 40-packs to get at least 260 LTs, for that 5% chance at Silver Surfer. Captainjoel/@notamutant did exactly that on his sandboxed account; you can search for it on YouTube.

And yes, there have been players, one king in particular, who spent tens of thousands of dollars doing exactly what you stated.
  • BigSoftieFF
    BigSoftieFF Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    I feel ya on that. But since I have nearly 900K in isos right now, its not such an issue with me at the moment.
    I have 1.6mm iSo, unfortunately I also have 26 4*’s fully covered and 1 5* fully covered that I need to champ. My iSo ain’t doing **** to that 😝 
  • HoundofShadow
    edited January 2019
    We have different interpretation of "buying CP directly". My definition is that there will be a CP store similar to the purchase of HP and ISO-8.

CP, in the context of buying in-game resources (HP and ISO-8), is a bonus resource which you and your alliance will receive, whenever anyone in your alliance make any purchase of either resources, beginning from Logan's Loonies or Hidden Stash. It's human nature to maximize the value of their dollars spent. Thus, buy clubs were created for that. 
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    Everybody knows those CP costs are high. The costs are associated with their availability. That option is always available to you. HFH options are sometimes available to you for 500 or 250 CP. Winning the cover in a token store is the cheapest option but it also has the lowest availability, which is dependent on luck. 
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,182 Chairperson of the Boards
    We have different interpretation of "buying CP directly". My definition is that there will be a CP store similar to the purchase of HP and ISO-8.

CP, in the context of buying in-game resources (HP and ISO-8), is a bonus resource which you and your alliance will receive, whenever anyone in your alliance make any purchase of either resources, beginning from Logan's Loonies or Hidden Stash. It's human nature to maximize the value of their dollars spent. Thus, buy clubs were created for that. 
    Ah, that clarifies it then. CP is definitely a strong incentive; I mean, I'm sure the majority of people who purchased the Thorstume did so for the 75CP, not so much the costume itself.
  • HoundofShadow
    I believe it's the HP + CP that sealed the deal, not just CP alone. Based on value alone for a single player, the 5* Thor costume deal is much better than the Stark Salary.

Back to the cost of buying a 5* cover for an opened power, let's look at the current situation:

Currently, there are 30 5* (not including 5* Doom): 3 in Latest and 27 in Classics.

It takes an average of 21 pulls to get a random colour cover of a specific 5* in Latest. 21 * 25 = 520 CP. The HfH store for Latest 5* uses 500CP, which gives you a cover of that character, but you can't choose the colour. The same number of pulls apply to Classic 5* in new 5* release stores. This special stores appear every 6 weeks on average or whenever a new 5* is released.

It takes an average of 189 pulls to get a random colour cover of a specific 5* in Classic. 189 * 20 = 3780 CP. The HfH store for Classic 5* uses 250 CP, which gives you a cover of that character, but you can't choose the colour as well, and you have to wait more many months or even a year before they roll around again.

Looking at the figures above, 720 CP to buy a cover for a colour of your choice (provided that you have unlocked that power) is mathematically cheaper than doing a random pull. 

Not to mention, we have feeders for majority of the 5-stars in the game.

I think it's due to impatience or the urge to complete any character as soon as possible that is causing all these. Again, without urges like these, there isn't any need for the players to spend, apart from wanting to support the game.
  • abenness
    abenness Posts: 228 Tile Toppler
    There is definitely a pay to win aspect, as even the player buying HP in a buy club (with the CP on the side), still spend those HP in the game, and the numerous resulting covers lead to champ levels which leads to tokens and CP gained from them.

However, I am also glad that it isn't easy or trivial or just a matter of spending to get 5* champions.  Because if everyone had them, then that is all that you would face, and every PVE leaderboard and every PVP battle would be against people who had the same monster teams available, and probably running the same meta of whatever was recognised as the better/faster/stronger combination.

At least with rarity, there is some variety in who you face (albeit not as much variety as everyone would necessarily want).  If you want a specific resource (eg a purple Kitty cover), you spend a premium for the chance of it in LL now, or save for the certainty of it (when eventually offered as a H4H for 500CP or later 250CP, or the 720CP now)
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,101 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle said:
    abenness said:

However, I am also glad that it isn't easy or trivial or just a matter of spending to get 5* champions.  Because if everyone had them, then that is all that you would face, and every PVE leaderboard and every PVP battle would be against people who had the same monster teams available, and probably running the same meta of whatever was recognised as the better/faster/stronger combination.

When did you stop looking at leaderboards?
    Because that's the exact situation you have now.

• AardvarkPepper
    AardvarkPepper Posts: 239 Tile Toppler
    Bowgentle said:
    abenness said:

When did you stop looking at leaderboards?
    Because that's the exact situation you have now.

^
  • randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    @Fawkes2574

When you look at the 720 costs, I tend to side with you.  To me, it seems insane.  Especially when you think about the amount of 4* covers you are giving up.  However, as some have pointed out, it MAY be cheaper to directly buy, even at the 720 cost.

5* at the base champ level (450) seem to be about 4x as strong as a 4* at base level (270).  So to me, the cost for a cover should be 4x as much a 4*.  So that would make them 480 CP.

But forget that for a second....  I was able fully cover my first 5* via LTs.  So hoard, wait, pull.  Simple.  Effective, somewhat fun, gives you something to play for.

But what about classics?  Since we don't have any insight into future stores, it's really hard to plan.  That's where my struggle is.  Not sure how I will ever have an Okoye or even Kitty now.  I did hoard, pull, kept pulling, ended up with a covered Cable, 9 cover Loki but only a 4 cover Kitty.  Not sure how, when or IF I will ever finish Kitty.

• Fawkes2574
    I have 1.6mm iSo, unfortunately I also have 26 4*’s fully covered and 1 5* fully covered that I need to champ. My iSo ain’t doing tinykitty to that 😝 
    Good to know there isn't a cap on them.