There hasn't been a fun or even really useful 5 star in awhile.

thedarkphoenix
thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
What's up with that? 

The 4's while not super good have at least been pretty fun or synergize with other 4's...the 5s have been stale since wasp (who is also terrible) 

If they aren't going to be meta defining at least make the fun or entertaining.

Comments

• marshall
    marshall Posts: 179 Tile Toppler
    Kitty is great, works with so many characters (e.g. Grocket, Carnage, OML, PHX, JJ...). Doom has potential to be useful and annoying on defense.

Cable and Kingpin are a bit of a dud since they don't change the game, don't make PvE or PvP easier or even cover specific situations, but they are not necessarily bad.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,733 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2019
    No one brought up Loki, who is kinda fun but has very little synergy beyond some rainbow fill in, if you want.  But that means we had Okoye, who was great. Then Wasp, Loki, Kitty, Cable, Kingpin, Doom.

Kitty is a really good PVE character and mostly depends on a lot of others to bring things to the table.   She’s not meta-defining as much as providing an option, which is basically the same thing.  She doesn’t negate Thorkoye, though.

Doom is a decent defensive character and could be very useful to lower tier players thanks to his healing. 
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,790 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2019
    Doom doesn’t excite me with his skill set in any way but there are still 12 plus fives that are worse than him. Kingpin though has probably wasp that is worse. If I wanted doom I’d wait until he was the last of the three. 

Even with his new release boost kingpin like wasp was irrelevant, doom though I think will be very skippable with his new boost.

I too though have been underwhelmed with the 5* releases on the whole since okoye.
  • randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    People are using Kitty like crazy now.

I'm with @bluewolf on Doom...  could be a nice grinder for a lower roster.  Not sure how you would use him in PVP.  PVE sure.

But yeah, some have been really really suspect.  Wasp, Loki, Kingpin....  heck even Cable isn't nearly as good as he COULD be.  Cable might have been a good counter to Okoye/Thor/JJ and some others with the ability to stun on matching.  Just costs too much and his blue doesn't create NEW green.

I'm hanging my hat on 5 Cap Marvel being something that can compete for a spot in the meta.  But who the heck knows.
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 565 Critical Contributor
    Yea you are missing Kitty, I saw more of her in pvp that Thor and Okoye, Loki is fun, the others are need to find their place, but Doc Ock is lie new and he is fun now as well.  Kitty is a game changer the others are not, they all cant be meta breaking.  
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    Whoever's been designing five stars needs to go the way of the classics and let someone new in.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    If I was in charge of game design, I would have the player base come up with new character designs since they know the game the best. It could be a regular "contest" and the devs would pick one design, implement it, make it temporarily available on everyone's roster to test out in PVE and PVP (leveled according to their roster) and after everyone's feedback, it would be adjusted and put into tokens. This way, new characters are neither duds nor overpowered, and it should drive spending too. Plus, it would save money on in-house character design and make the player base feel that their ideas are valued. 

I would love a game where the players come up with the new ideas. It's surely better than a couple of people doing it. 
  • Taganov
    Taganov Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    bbigler said:
    If I was in charge of game design, I would have the player base come up with new character designs since they know the game the best. It could be a regular "contest" and the devs would pick one design, implement it, make it temporarily available on everyone's roster to test out in PVE and PVP (leveled according to their roster) and after everyone's feedback, it would be adjusted and put into tokens. This way, new characters are neither duds nor overpowered, and it should drive spending too. Plus, it would save money on in-house character design and make the player base feel that their ideas are valued. 

I would love a game where the players come up with the new ideas. It's surely better than a couple of people doing it. 
    You sweet summer child :):smile: . Do agree that players can test and provide feedback, though.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like the idea, in theory, but the sheer number of garbage ideas you see just here on the forums is proof enough that it would be a nightmare to try and create something solid enough to be worth playtesting in the first place. Nevermind the conflicts that would arise over disagreement. The instant there's a split on how to handle a character, and the devs lean one way instead of another, half the playerbase will feel like their ideas are valued less than they are now.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2019
    I think what we could see are:

1) All future characters won't have negative side-effects to their abilities such as no self-damage or self team-damage (5* Jean Grey), not giving enemy special tiles (5* Kingpin) etc.

2) Abilities for characters will cost fewer than 10 ap. Based on past few characters releases, 10 ap for 5* characters, or even 4* character abilities are almost always considered expensive, generally speaking. 

3) Higher damage per ap for power.

4) Since only stronger and faster new characters are favoured by competitive players, this game will probably turn into a strategy that revolves only brute forcing match after match.

Realistically speaking, Marvel has a part in character creations. These back and forth among Marvel, the devs and the players are going to take a long time. The other problems are if X players' ideas are not chosen, they will probably feel bad and demoralise(?). It's going to be challenging to reconcile ideas from new players, experienced players and veterans. I'm sure they have different ideas of what's good and bad. Then we have clashes...
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Doom feels like he'd be annoying to play against due to his healing. He could be a useful scarecrow on defense.
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Gritty4ever.

• Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Seems like a subjective observation to me, which isn't to say that you're wrong, only that it's sort of odd to ask why demi hasn't released a 5* that you find fun or useful.