"Heart of the Team?" Heck, no.

Jubilee's Yellow power is titled that. If I recall from the comics, other characters and most fans hated her from the start. She was an annoying, snarky brat who got attached to Wolverine's solo title just so he couldn't get too bloody for the comics code. When she was forced to join the younger groups, she called them the "X-babies" and none of the others liked her. In retrospect, sure. She's a classic X-character, and eventually fit in.

Was there something in the TV cartoon series(es) where she became the "heart of the team"? 'Cause if so, I missed it.

I just keep seeing it flashing across the screen on a banner during this PvP, and it's finally gotten to me... :p

Comments

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I only know her from the show and everything you said seems to gel with what I remember.  I hated her from day 1.  I recently watched the whole animated series (3-5 years ago?) and I don't remember her ever being considered the heart of the team.  I would think I'd remember that because it would have made me physically ill.  Or maybe it did happen and it was so traumatic my brain blocked it from my memory to protect myself lol.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards
    No, basically everything you said is true. Jubilee has basically no redeeming features whatsoever and quite frankly everybody only let Wolverine off for bringing her along with him because at the time he was completely and utterly bonkers after being tortured by the Reavers and with his healing factor on the blink.

Kitty could be a bit of a brat too but she was otherwise at least likeable.

When the X-Men did have a heart before grim n gritty it was Kitty, Nightcrawler and Colossus.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    DAZ0273 said:
    When the X-Men did have a heart before grim n gritty it was Kitty, Nightcrawler and Colossus.
    I always felt Cyclops was the heart of the X-Men prior to Ororo claiming the mantle of leadership from him in Uncanny #201. Ever since the Mutant Massacre (shortly after), it's been Storm and Wolverine to me.

But Kitty's their soul.

Nightcrawler's and Colossus' stories just got too whacky and off-character at various times, and they were absent from the teams for various large chunks.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    I always felt Cyclops was the heart of the X-Men prior to Ororo claiming the mantle of leadership from him in Uncanny #201. Ever since the Mutant Massacre (shortly after), it's been Storm and Wolverine to me.

But Kitty's their soul.

Nightcrawler's and Colossus' stories just got too whacky and off-character at various times, and they were absent from the teams for various large chunks.
    Cyclops was certainly the focal point but I never felt he was the heart. If you read the old stories more often than not it would be Kurt who would provide a word of wisdom (even to Scott himself) or question Wolverine's methods in a manner in which Logan would need to think on. Cyke and Wolvy would just butt heads without Cyclops really reaching out in a way to try and understand Logan. Later on, Kitty and Colossus relationship became the focus, so much so that when they broke up it badly splintered the team. All that ended with the Mutant Massacre anyway, after which the X-Men had no use for heart, just violence.
  • BumpoTheClown
    BumpoTheClown Posts: 74 Match Maker
    I seem to remember Beast functioning in this capacity for long periods, in that he'd be the only member Professor X. would go to for emotional counseling and a basic "wisdom check".