Ravnica Allegiance Planeswalkers

Options
Brakkis
Brakkis Posts: 777 Critical Contributor
Well here's the new walkers in paper. Time to speculate. Waiting on (probably) Domri.

Comments

• IM_CARLOS
    IM_CARLOS Posts: 640 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Kaya seams to be an answer to graveyard abuse... if she hits ultimate. 
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dovin seems pretty straightforward. 

His first could be an attack-based version of Huatli Green's first. 
    His second could be create 1/2/3/4 Thopters and gain 2/4/6/8 life. 
    Ult can be a direct port, although they'll probably give the fetched cards mana.

Kaya I'm not sure about at all.  Her ult can probably work about the same, but the other 2 definitely need work.
  • IM_CARLOS
    IM_CARLOS Posts: 640 Critical Contributor
    Options
    If converted that way, both are little lame. But will see. 
  • BigSwifty
    BigSwifty Posts: 98 Match Maker
    Options
    Nice to have an Orzhov alternative to Sorin, if nothing else.
  • fiirst
    fiirst Posts: 438 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    bye bye Sorin....
  • Grixis197
    Grixis197 Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Dont know if Domri is one or he’s from the Planeswalker decks which they don’t do
  • Mburn7
    Options
    Grixis197 said:
    Dont know if Domri is one or he’s from the Planeswalker decks which they don’t do
    Have they done a recent Planeswalker deck Walker who wasn't in the set?  The last few definitely have.

And if the other 4 Bolas-Aligned guild leaders got their own card, I see no reason that Domri wouldn't.

• wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    Grixis197 said:
    Have they done a recent Planeswalker deck Walker who wasn't in the set?  The last few definitely have.

And if the other 4 Bolas-Aligned guild leaders got their own card, I see no reason that Domri wouldn't.

Vraska got a planeswalker deck in Rivals of Ixalan but her planeswalker card was in the prior set. But, this made sense considering the other planeswalkers in the set. Angrath got a planeswalker deck, and Huatli got a planeswalker deck in the previous set.

Additionally Chandra got a planeswalker deck in Dominaria and wasn't in the set at all.

That said, there's little reason to believe that a different planeswalker will be heading the Gruul. We already know by process of elimination that the Gruul are sided with Bolas. We also know that every guild on Ravnica siding with him will have a planeswalker leading the guild, and lastly we know that Domri was already the leader of the Gruul. There's little reason for Wizards to out Domri only to replace him with another planeswalker, especially when existing other red-green walkers wouldn't be likely candidates to lead the clan or side with Bolas (Samut definitely opposes him and Arlinn has no reason to even care about Ravnica)
  • Brakkis
    Brakkis Posts: 777 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Now here's Domri

• Mburn7
    Options
    Brakkis said:
    Now here's Domri

Holy **** he's awesome.  I want 4.

As for PQ applications his ult is fine, probably just needs bigger Beasts (2/2 | 4/4 | 6/6 | 8/8 or something)
    The second also can be a direct translation a la Vivien, or become a fetch-and-fill like Kiora or Arlinn
    His first depends on how Riot is implemented here.  Maybe just all creatures in hand gain Riot?  Or just the first?
    Not sure on that one.  Or if he'll be better than Samut (depends on deck limits most likely)
  • Grixis197
    Options
    I thought his 1st might also include some gem converters red or green I guess along with Riot of course
  • TheDude1
    TheDude1 Posts: 194 Tile Toppler
    Options
  • Mburn7
    Options
    TheDude1 said:
    Usually they make the walker from the set, not the one from the duel decks.

That being said sometimes the abilities are combined a bit depending on how easy it is to implement each one.
  • TheDude1
    Options
    Ah, didn't realize this was from the duel decks, my mistake.
  • Mburn7
    Options
    TheDude1 said:
    Ah, didn't realize this was from the duel decks, my mistake.
    Don't apologize, its a valid question.  Like I said, some walkers have a combination of the two versions' abilities.  That definitely wasn't an incorrect addition to the discussion.
  • TheDude1
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    Don't apologize, its a valid question.  Like I said, some walkers have a combination of the two versions' abilities.  That definitely wasn't an incorrect addition to the discussion.
    Fair enough.  In that case, here's Dovin from the duel decks as well:

• Grixis197
    Options
    I think all 3 of these PW should be good looking foward to Domri the most I think
  • Tilwin90
    Tilwin90 Posts: 662 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Grixis197 said:
    I think all 3 of these PW should be good looking foward to Domri the most I think
    Possibly yes.

Personally I am most excited about Kaya as I haven't had a lot of love for Sorin in the latest speed meta (the 82 life DOES matter when you are facing super speedy opponents in spite of all the lifegain in the world). 

But I also dislike Samut and in my opinion is one of the most over-hyped walkers in the history of MTGPQ. The spells restriction on her is justified at some point but from another point of view limits her usefulness greatly. We'll see whether Domri won't be some sort of GR Vivien (I really like her, she has really flexible abilities).

As for Dovin, to be honest Teferi is already so darn good I have a hard time seeing the purpose of another UW walker. But then again, I also have both Bolas1 & Bolas2, so getting access to a second powerful UW walker might not be a bad idea.

From GRN I only got Ral. Vraska was super underwhelming - I never saw the point of getting her, in spite of still not being happy with her indestructible support (from a principle point of view, it opens a dangerous Pandora's Box).
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My concern with Kaya is that her abilities won't translate well. I'm hoping they do a good job, as it'd be nice to have a beefier black/white pw.
  • Grixis197
    Options
    Even with a new BW PW I always have trouble making a good standard deck with Sorin