PVE - How competitive are the slices?

Moon Roach
Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
edited December 2018 in MPQ General Discussion
Usually I play SCL 8, slice 5. Because it finishes either 6, 7 or 8 pm, depending on how daylight savings is in play here and in The One True Timezone. Right now it's 8 pm.
I usually finish top 5 (hi, other consistent top 5 people in my CL / slice that I'm not allowed to name-check because reasons).
But it's Christmas break, I'm not back at work until 7th January, so other options are open. I'm thinking of a temporary move to slice 4 (5 pm) or slice 3 (11 am).
Does anyone have any advice as to whether these are normally slacker or ultra-competitive slices?

:edit: Somehow it lost the paragraphs...

Comments

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    Usually I play SCL 8, slice 5. Because it finishes either 6, 7 or 8 pm, depending on how daylight savings is in play here and in The One True Timezone. Right now it's 8 pm.
    I usually finish top 5 (hi, other consistent top 5 people in my CL / slice that I'm not allowed to name-check because reasons).
    But it's Christmas break, I'm not back at work until 7th January, so other options are open. I'm thinking of a temporary move to slice 4 (5 pm) or slice 3 (11 am).
    Does anyone have any advice as to whether these are normally slacker or ultra-competitive slices?

:edit: Somehow it lost the paragraphs...
    *Waves*

I’m in the exact same situation lol (you work at a university too?). I’m also currently in your time zone visiting family, but will be traveling back home and playing in pacific time Xmas day on.
  • Persephone
    Persephone Posts: 201 Tile Toppler
    What I noticed about competitiveness is this: when the time slot first opens, it fills up with competitive people.  I struggle to make it above top 20 despite having all essential characters and fast-clearing ones.  However, if I wait two hours after the opening up of the time slot, I join the "lazy" bracket.  I actually manage to place first in one of these and consistently Top 20/10 depending on the SCL (I vary between 6 & 7).  
    I don't know what others have experienced, but I have experienced this on multiple occasions.  
  • Space Dwarf
    Space Dwarf Posts: 29 Just Dropped In
    Fast is fast. Doesn’t matter which slice you’re in. 
  • spidyjedi84
    spidyjedi84 Posts: 514 Critical Contributor
    It varies on the 4-star. If it's a new release, it can be a real slogfest. If it's a character out for several months, though, there is far less scrapping early in an event. I try to nab it early, as I fon't have enough quality 5-stars to get there... I'm in SCL9, because I like the rewards more, especially the 4-star at 900 points.
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 986 Critical Contributor
    It varies on the 4-star. If it's a new release, it can be a real slogfest. If it's a character out for several months, though, there is far less scrapping early in an event. I try to nab it early, as I fon't have enough quality 5-stars to get there... I'm in SCL9, because I like the rewards more, especially the 4-star at 900 points.
    A 4* at 900 points in PVE?!  I gotta try me some SCL9 then...
  • spidyjedi84
    spidyjedi84 Posts: 514 Critical Contributor
    Yeah, you got me. I confused the two. I rarely pull off a top 50 finish in any category.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've heard that slices 1, 3, 5 are more competitive than 2 and 4, but I'm no expert on that matter. 
  • Ed_Dragonrider
    Ed_Dragonrider Posts: 591 Critical Contributor
    What I noticed about competitiveness is this: when the time slot first opens, it fills up with competitive people.  I struggle to make it above top 20 despite having all essential characters and fast-clearing ones.  However, if I wait two hours after the opening up of the time slot, I join the "lazy" bracket.  I actually manage to place first in one of these and consistently Top 20/10 depending on the SCL (I vary between 6 & 7).  
    I don't know what others have experienced, but I have experienced this on multiple occasions.  
    Exact same experience. Doesnt matter which slice as long as you join about 2 hrs late...
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    bbigler said:
    I've heard that slices 1, 3, 5 are more competitive than 2 and 4, but I'm no expert on that matter. 
    ROFL.
    2.9 is murder.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,733 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have been thinking about gaming the bracket too.  But a lot of people will probably change up their slots with holiday schedules, or play differently.

I guess my personal take is that it’s a little unpredictable for this next event or two, and I’m just going to play the slice that best fits my schedule.
  • AardvarkPepper
    AardvarkPepper Posts: 239 Tile Toppler
    Are you talking about PvE or PvP? Because the thread title says "PvE", but almost the entire discussion has been about PvP.
    this
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    I said and meant PVE.  The one where you have to do clears about an hour either side of the start / end time.
    8 pm is the only option when not on holiday, but right now others are possible.
    I've decided to stick with the devil I know, and 8 pm it stays.

• Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    I moved from 4.9 to 5.9 and found it much less competitive.  I figure it’s because 4 ends in US prime time, while most of the US is asleep when 5 ends.  Then again I also usually join late in the first sub, after a flip or two.
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, the only thing I have noticed is that the earlier brackets in a slice tend to be more competitive.
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 1,018 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pants1000 said:
    I moved from 4.9 to 5.9 and found it much less competitive.  I figure it’s because 4 ends in US prime time, while most of the US is asleep when 5 ends.  Then again I also usually join late in the first sub, after a flip or two.
    What does the .9 signify?
  • Bowgentle
    MegaBee said:
    Pants1000 said:
    CL 9
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 1,018 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle said:
    MegaBee said:
    Pants1000 said:
    CL 9
    Ah! That totally makes sense. Thanks!
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm in 4.9, always the second bracket (which usually opens in prejoins right before the event starts or shortly after it goes live), and I wish I could play just about any different slice. 

4.9 also fills so slowly that if you don't catch that first flip, you can easily run the risk of missing the first sub entirely. 
  • Bowgentle
    DarthDeVo said:
    I'm in 4.9, always the second bracket (which usually opens in prejoins right before the event starts or shortly after it goes live), and I wish I could play just about any different slice. 

4.9 also fills so slowly that if you don't catch that first flip, you can easily run the risk of missing the first sub entirely. 
    If you think that is slow,try 2.9.
    Two brackets, every PVE.
    The second one never fills.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    bbigler said:
    5 is a dead slice compared to 4.