To Farm or Not To Farm the 3*s

2»

Comments

• crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    shardwick said:
    I keep the max champs.  There are times when it matters just a bit, like:

*you happen upon a behemoth burrito where the 4* isn't great or is more of a support character, and having a low level 3* can mean dragging the fight out.

*thanos kills your low level 3* and it costs you healthpacks too fast

*less likely to get hit in pvp, though this goes the other way too, in that you're less likely to get hit by a weaker team you can retal against for an easy w

*those loaner nodes in pve...using your characters saves time over the loaners, and similar to the behemoth burrito note above, given say Emma frost as the 4* of the group, you will be happier with a higher level 3*.

I have the resources to do this, but it may not make sense for everyone. Plus these are minor factors. Definitely recommend against selling the dupe before the new one is fully covered though, if you can avoid it.
    I never use my regular characters over the loaner on the loaner node in pve. If you use the loaner and get a bad board then just retreat and try again. If you use your main characters and the enemy gets a huge cascade and fires off their big abilities on you then you're looking at spending up to three health packs to heal your guys for just one battle. The only time that I will use my guy over the loaner is if it's Grocket since he can shred people pretty fast.
    I can understand that approach, but it's definitely slower, and to be honest I don't think what you described has ever happened to me.  Maybe in Vernon bomb where the symbiotes can take over in a flash.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    shardwick said:

*you happen upon a behemoth burrito where the 4* isn't great or is more of a support character, and having a low level 3* can mean dragging the fight out.

*less likely to get hit in pvp, though this goes the other way too, in that you're less likely to get hit by a weaker team you can retal against for an easy w

*those loaner nodes in pve...using your characters saves time over the loaners, and similar to the behemoth burrito note above, given say Emma frost as the 4* of the group, you will be happier with a higher level 3*.

I have the resources to do this, but it may not make sense for everyone. Plus these are minor factors. Definitely recommend against selling the dupe before the new one is fully covered though, if you can avoid it.
    I never use my regular characters over the loaner on the loaner node in pve. If you use the loaner and get a bad board then just retreat and try again. If you use your main characters and the enemy gets a huge cascade and fires off their big abilities on you then you're looking at spending up to three health packs to heal your guys for just one battle. The only time that I will use my guy over the loaner is if it's Grocket since he can shred people pretty fast.
    I can understand that approach, but it's definitely slower, and to be honest I don't think what you described has ever happened to me.  Maybe in Vernon bomb where the symbiotes can take over in a flash.
    Me either. I have every 3 at 266 and every 2 at 144. Makes for way faster clears in PVE. Since I’m only using them for that one loaner node and their essentials, I find I’m not using packs due to how little they’re used (especially with the amount of health most max champs have). 

Plus, in the event the CPU ultra-whaled me and I lost all three characters, I could always THEN use the loaners next time (again this has never happened), but I would never suggest starting with the slower option. 
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    As a good alliance mate, it can help to roster a dupe with just 1 power maxed out so when you send a Team-up it's a good one. I realize it's not a 3*, but one of the guys in our alliance has 5 copies of 1* Black Widow with 5 Blue covers and no Purple. A 9 cost Team-Up that stuns an enemy for 5 turns and every other enemy for 1? Yes please!

I bet there are some 3* characters that would be similarly useful. 3* Iron Man with 5 Yellow? 3* Strange with 5 Blue? Anyone else have any they've used, seen, or dreamt of?
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    helix72 said:
    As a good alliance mate, it can help to roster a dupe with just 1 power maxed out so when you send a Team-up it's a good one. I realize it's not a 3*, but one of the guys in our alliance has 5 copies of 1* Black Widow with 5 Blue covers and no Purple. A 9 cost Team-Up that stuns an enemy for 5 turns and every other enemy for 1? Yes please!

I bet there are some 3* characters that would be similarly useful. 3* Iron Man with 5 Yellow? 3* Strange with 5 Blue? Anyone else have any they've used, seen, or dreamt of?
    IM40's yellow isn't Team-up eligible. Strange blue is definitely a possibility, as are D3adpool or GSBW purple.
  • Chrynos1989
    Chrynos1989 Posts: 328 Mover and Shaker
    I have all 3* champed max, so all my additional 3* covers are only worth the 500 iso atm. But I’m planning on opening a complete 3* farm after hp sale, especially if there is a roosterslot sale again. Truth is, in late game when you have all 4* champed except the newest and most 5* high level, iso isn’t a thing anymore, so invest that hp in roosterslot and make that 3* farm, you get back the hp in a short while and additionally gain huge amo7nts of cp, tokens and covers, it might be a slow thing but in the end you gain more than you invest, it only takes patience 
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    shardwick said:

I can remember it happening to me once, in Honor Among thieves sub 2 where you go up against Mindless ones.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    justsing said:
    I'm a 4* player with a 3* farm. I keep a copy of my max champed 3*s and roster a dupe. I used to feel the ISO crunch and sold a few max champed 3*s to champ a 4*, but like others have said above, Saved Covers have changed things. There is no pressure to champ a 4* unless they are one of the best. I've also found that having a max champed 3* helps in 4* PVP land. So I'd recommend putting ISO into 4*s only if they're top tier, needed for Shield Training / Crash, or if you need a boosted 4* champ for PVP that week. As for your 3*s, I'd say go ahead and re-roster those dupes. You can keep them unleveled (I have several sitting at level 40 with many saved covers) and then champ them once you have enough extra ISO to spare.
    Exactly what @justsing said here, for me. I'd emphasize what I, um, emphasized in bold, above. Also applies to Lightning Rounds in a major way.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,581 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yepyep said:
    justsing said:
    I'm a 4* player with a 3* farm. I keep a copy of my max champed 3*s and roster a dupe. I used to feel the ISO crunch and sold a few max champed 3*s to champ a 4*, but like others have said above, Saved Covers have changed things. There is no pressure to champ a 4* unless they are one of the best. I've also found that having a max champed 3* helps in 4* PVP land. So I'd recommend putting ISO into 4*s only if they're top tier, needed for Shield Training / Crash, or if you need a boosted 4* champ for PVP that week. As for your 3*s, I'd say go ahead and re-roster those dupes. You can keep them unleveled (I have several sitting at level 40 with many saved covers) and then champ them once you have enough extra ISO to spare.
    Exactly what @justsing said here, for me. I'd emphasize what I, um, emphasized in bold, above. Also applies to Lightning Rounds in a major way.
    Well, it's definitely possible to time things right so you don't have a featured 3* in PVP that is not at 266.  It was for exactly this reason that I set up this list -- in general it takes around six months to circle back to a particular 3*, but in some cases it can be quite a bit longer (I think She Hulk went unfeatured for over a year once.)  You will occasionally be caught with your pants down, so to speak - sometimes they will slot a character in early because of cross-promotion.  But that's extremely rare, and if you don't sell your 266 3*s until the dupe is in the 230s then it won't make a huge difference anyway....
  • Rockwell75
    Rockwell75 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker
    Me either. I have every 3 at 266 and every 2 at 144. Makes for way faster clears in PVE.
    My 2s and 3s have absolutely zero impact on their respective essential matches.  In fact I can't even remember the last time I even fired one of their powers. 
  • Yepyep
    Me either. I have every 3 at 266 and every 2 at 144. Makes for way faster clears in PVE.
    My 2s and 3s have absolutely zero impact on their respective essential matches.  In fact I can't even remember the last time I even fired one of their powers. 
    Probably you're a 5* player and this also doesn't matter, but for a 4* player a max-champed 3* featured character is a strong incentive to skip that team in search of an easier one.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,391 Chairperson of the Boards
    Even if you aren't firing 3* powers, having 100% more health than a baby champ keeps them alive longer as a meatsack you're saddled with.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not so much the essentials. But the 2-3-4 loaner node is what I’m referring to. Having 3* Blade’s passive strikes fill the board at level 266 was very helpful in clearing that node fast. He was probably a bigger asset than my champed Nebula (and yeah 2* Cap was worthless). For the essentials, I agree, more often than not I have two other people doing the heavy lifting. 
  • Jwallyr
    Jwallyr Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    Not so much the essentials. But the 2-3-4 loaner node is what I’m referring to. Having 3* Blade’s passive strikes fill the board at level 266 was very helpful in clearing that node fast. He was probably a bigger asset than my champed Nebula (and yeah 2* Cap was worthless). For the essentials, I agree, more often than not I have two other people doing the heavy lifting. 
    IMO the question is one of trade-offs. I have 12 champed 4s, many more champable or close (11+covers), even more at 209 or at least 10 covers and pending the actual Iso investment to pull up to 209 for SHIELD training. I have 2 of each 2* (one maxed and one dupe) and just maxed my first 3star, so I'm anticipating putting 1000 HP into a roster slot. When I do that, I'll still have 1245 HP floating, and this is with buying most 100HP daily deals.

I have every 5star in the game recruited, and every 4star except Bishop (I missed his introduction event entirely). If I bought a slot for him as well, I'd be at 245 HP, but over the next few days I'll get back up above 1k with no problem. I'm aware that roster slot costs go up, but that happens at what, 300 slots? That's 116 slots away from where I am.

Ultimately, I'm just not convinced that 1000 HP is worth having to drag along some totally useless lump of meat for any required node. Even the 2stars can on occasion be useful, and push come to shove, having their abilities do the maximum possible can occasionally be helpful when your chosen 2-man team is missing an ability on a cover that the 2star happens to have. The amount of HP that you save seems to me to be pretty minor compared to any possible increase in match speed when you're competing for placement in story mode.

So to me the question isn't "why should you dupe", the question is "why WOULDN'T you dupe?" The cost is 1000 HP, which is a few days' play even if you're buying daily deals, and the potential benefit to your speed can make the difference between tiers of placement rewards at SCL7 or higher.
  • Quebbster

Their level has a very significant impact to me: Their Health determines how many Court Deaths they can eat without needing a Health pack. Classic Storm is my least favorite twostar essential since she has the durability of wet tissue paper.
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    It’s a rare occurrence, but opening tokens after my PVE clears today gave a great example of why you really should farm 3’s, one way or another.

An event token gave me a 3* Cap.  That gave me a LT from champ rewards.  The LT gave me a 5* Kitty and BH Okoye.  Hard to beat that. :)
  • Yepyep
    Pants1000 said:
    It’s a rare occurrence, but opening tokens after my PVE clears today gave a great example of why you really should farm 3’s, one way or another.

An event token gave me a 3* Cap.  That gave me a LT from champ rewards.  The LT gave me a 5* Kitty and BH Okoye.  Hard to beat that. :)
    Impossible to beat that...?
  • Quebbster
    Yepyep said:
    Pants1000 said:

Impossible to beat that...?

Heck no, the very best return on investment would be getting a twostar from a standard token, cascading champion rewards up to the fivestar level, then getting a LT that drops a fivestar and a bonus cover. :)

Never had that happen but I have been Close on a few occasions.

• maguirenumber6
    maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    I sell my 3s as soon as they hit 266 and I have another single cover to re-roster.  It's never once impacted my ability to hit 1200 in PVP and I've never once regretted it and I've maxed and sold about 2/3 of the 3s.  Personally I think rostering dupe 3s is a waste of HP.
    I do the same, although I'm not as successful when it comes to PvP, but that's just me. The only maxchamped 3* I've kept is Doctor Strange. I have a dupe going and I will sell the original when I've got the dupe champed and up to a good level. Strange is the best 3* in the game.