December Q&A Session - Question Submission (12/11/18)

Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
Hi Everyone,

The team has been very busy with both the holiday season content, and the plethora of upcoming features for 2019, so we had originally been told that they would be unable to provide a Q&A session this month. Leave it to Oktagon to surprise us though, as they were able to find time to answer some after all!

While we're still working on compiling them into a Q&A session to post this week, we'd like to open up this month's question submission thread. Please note that with the upcoming holiday season, we will be unable to provide the December Q&A session until sometime early January.

In order to make it easy to collate and compile all questions, we would like to kindly ask all players limit themselves to only one comment with just their top 3 questions they'd like to submit. (Brief explanations are fine, but please no novels) We will then compile a list of the top 10 questions asked by the community, and Oktagon will answer as many of them as they are able to.

We will be closing the submission thread next Monday 12/17 at 18:00 PT / 21:00 ET / Tuesday 12/18, 02:00 UTC. We will then compile the questions, and send it over to Oktagon for review and answering. Once they have done that, we will format it and prepare it for posting in the forum.

Comments

• Opperstamper
    Opperstamper Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
    1. How will you fix the bugs and errors that make us lose games or charges? The leaderboards should not be dictated by being lucky enough to not encounter bugs or errors.
    2. How will you fix event end times in a way that everyone can finish all their charges (if they choose to do so), but won't be restricted by the timezone they live in?
    3. How will you make the wording on cards, rules and objectives more consistent? If there is consistency, we can apply the ruleset ourselves. The surprise inconsistencies really limit our strategies.
  • Tilwin90
    Tilwin90 Posts: 662 Critical Contributor
    Howdy, I'm gonna go mill mode here and repeat myself with the same inquiry I've been dying to get an answer to:

Are there any plans for a stable set of comprehensive rules* being written and put in place for MTGPQ?

For paper magic rules, feel free to check the official Wizards section on their website here
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2018
    1. Rules, rules. Rules?
    2. What are your further plans regarding balance in the game? Not regarding standard vs legacy, but regarding blue vs.. Are there still other colors?
    3. Coalition events. We used to have 2-3 per set. Since you took over, it's been one per set. But then we didn't get one at all with the release of GRN. Is there something in the planning or can I just leave the game for good? I'm sick and tired of HoD, RotGP etc.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tilwin90 said:
    Howdy, I'm gonna go mill mode here and repeat myself with the same inquiry I've been dying to get an answer to:

Are there any plans for a stable set of comprehensive rules* being written and put in place for MTGPQ?

For paper magic rules, feel free to check the official Wizards section on their website here
    Yes, Yes, a thousand times yes.

Look, setting hard rules like this is a lot of work.  Luckily, it will make your lives easier in the long run since programming is, essentially, setting rules that must be followed.

So my question is also:

and:

Are there any plans to make all card descriptions match the effects of their cards?
  • jogamundo
    jogamundo Posts: 107 Tile Toppler
    I would like to see a feature where we have an event which pits decks within your coalition against one another.

Something similar to training grounds, but the pool of decks we play against is the friends we have in our coalition.
    This way we can really have some awesome bragging rights on who has the best decks.

what are your thoughts on such a feature and its likelihood of happening?
  • James13
    James13 Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    1) How will the new slated profile revamp allow for new event structures?

2) Is there a plan to adjust the Duels format to disincentivize consecutive victories by a single side?  (Eldrazi have won every single iteration of the open play Zendikar Duel)

3) Story mode?  (I know there have been other priorities, but I still hold out hope)
  • bobby_2613
    bobby_2613 Posts: 83 Match Maker
    First of all, thank you for the Q&A this is much appreciated.

I'll go with:

Can we hope having some standardized langage for the cards but also for the objectives through all the events.  (Most obvious example being Cast vs Summon -- Whatever the meaning of both.)

Thank you.
  • Boogeyman
    Boogeyman Posts: 223 Tile Toppler
    Hello, here are my questions:

1. Are there any plans to upgrade the coalition interface?  Clan pages, rules, etc? 
    2. Are there any plans to be able to donate/give/trade (cards/gold/jewels) with coalition members? I think this would be game changing. 
    3. Can we have more FUN events that are out of the normal?  Themes/Random/Unpredictable?
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,433 Chairperson of the Boards
    1. What is the differences between summon and cast. In regards to creatures and tokens.

2. Duels, while fun, is horribly unbalanced. Mono colored vs Multicolored is like having a horse cart out race a BMW in retrospect. Is there a plan to correct this for future events? 

3. Is there an emergency plan being developed yet to resolve critical bugs that affect the community and scores in events for both individual and Coalitions? I.e. Gideons intervention & Lichs mastery. 

• fiirst
    fiirst Posts: 438 Mover and Shaker
    edited December 2018
    What is the result of The Dragon War beta test????
    What is the cause of exceed  perfect score?

Amount of player is suppose to be a key factor?

How could dev implement it?

• Froggy
    Froggy Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    When can we expect more story mode?

When can we expect card wording sorted out?
  • nerdstrap
    nerdstrap Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    Is there a Magic The Gathering subject matter expert (SME) driving feature development and bug resolution? I don’t expect a match 3 game to be Magic, but I also don’t expect flavor and long standing tradition to be cast aside. The change to copied spells is forefront in my mind... it goes against everything I can think of in Magic. Who decided to fundamentally change the game and what was their reasoning?
  • Matthew
    Matthew Posts: 605 Critical Contributor
    Standardized meanings of key words is a critical component of what has allowed paper Magic to enjoy such longevity. It dramatically simplifies the development process once it is established. This game is sorely in need of such standardization. Even cards in different sets that have been released by Oktagon seem to have differences in wording that are confusing. Is there a plan in place to try to standardize everything?
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Hi Everyone. I understand that the Q&A Question Submission thread came out before the November Q&A Session was posted, however please make sure to review the November Q&A Session (and prior ones, if applicable) to ensure that your question wasn't already answered. Thank you!
  • ninjark
    ninjark Posts: 50 Match Maker
    A long, long time ago, events had a visual Player Counter - which frequently broke 20k players for coalition events - before Hibernum removed it & other entertaining things... :(  
    Is there any chance of having a Player Counter again at some point?  :)

How soon will we see a current and/or new event have a longer final refresh than 6 hours?
This discussion has been closed.