My most hated 5* dilemma

zonatahunt
zonatahunt Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
By now every one of us has been played the fool by the 5* 1/7 odds.  I’ve witnessed droughts of nearly 100 pulls.  For a game where even the falling tiles are anything BUT random, having the game’s penultimate character covers tied to a nearly 100% random pull rate...it’s ridiculous.  The only thing saving our attempts at obtaining 5*s are the 4* feeders; without them we’d never be assured of where our next 5* will come from.

Like most 5* players, I realize my complaints are a first-world problem.  However, seeing as how I know I’ve literally spent thousands on this game...I think I’ve supported the game enough to voice my grumblings from time to time.  

Ive been averaging about three LTs per day or a long time now.  My buy-club days ended about two years ago, and I’ve been able to cover and champ nearly all of the 5*s as they’ve been released.  Covering 5*s has slowed for me ever since they stopped swapping dupes.  One cover for three is still too steep a price when the only chance I get to pull their cover is a three-character window; swap two-for-one and we’re good, and the latter timeframe exists because I NEVER pull from the Classics.

I have a solution (don’t we all!)!  By the tenth draw from the Latest LT, if you haven’t drawn a 5* you’d automatically be rewarded with a 5* (pulling any 5* from the Latest three would reset the 10-pull countdown).  First, you’d get the 4* that led to the 10-pull losing streak.  Second, and most important, the 5* would be from the Classics.  I can’t remember the last time I drew from the Classics.  It’s a waste of cp if you pull from the Classics because it’s best spent covering the newest three.  At least with this format you’d see growth in characters most of us avoid like the plague (I mean EVERYONE in the Classics because dilution kills your odds of getting that one last cover you need).  Furthermore, it’s greatly satiates the frustrations of the player-base regarding advancement in the 5* tier.  This wouldn’t break the 5* bank either.  It takes my wife, a casual but everyday player, about a month to save 250 cp.  How would giving on average one Classic 5* away a month through an in-game guaranteed cover model hurt D3?  

All of this pretty much stems from me hating the uncertainty of the 5* tier.  I have most champed, but for a game that involves so much strategy, having your ultimate standing in the game being based on luck seems so demoralizing.

The Dude

Comments

• Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 986 Critical Contributor
    "but for a game that involves so much strategy", i lolled at that. Speed is everything in this game, strategy only counts if you take your time to play.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like the compromise suggestion that the tenth-pull guarenteed 5* is a classic only.

That I actually like. I want to champ some of the old classics even if they're not good. I would like to get Black Widow champed, but at 5/3/3 even waiting for the 4* Black Widow feeder will take until she's nearly maxed. Iron Man looks cool, as does Captain America. Beardcap was so nearly completed but I just couldn't pull the last two covers.

So yeah, I'd be on board with a way of getting classics without wasting CP on tokens. This feels kinda fair to me. It's not a guaranteed "every tenth pull is a classic 5*" but "If you've gone ten 4*s in a row, here's a random classic to make up for it" seems okay.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    a classic legends token would solve a few issues. it's just odd that it's the only cover store there aren't tokens for.