Do you like seeing more HOU events being run?

Options
Mburn7
Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
I see we are getting yet another Elspeth run of Hour of Devastation.  So I'm curious:  Does anyone actually still enjoy seeing 2 year old events?

Do you like seeing more HOU events being run? 52 votes

Yes
11%
YawgmothThéséeUweTellkampf[Deleted User]KronulOmegaLolrus 6 votes
No
71%
TherosHomeRnkhurramFalizarGrixis197arNerooctal9AvahadGrizzoMtGPQJopeX37rafaleleDumasAGFurksDropspottfg76ManiiNamesLaeuftbeidirarevalaFroggyMburn7 37 votes
Meh
17%
TomBMachineMtgPQProNinjaEKinesianinjarkStalkerYaanchyimjustzach 9 votes

Comments

• HarryMason
    HarryMason Posts: 136 Tile Toppler
    Options
    No
    I think they're fun occasionally, but the lack of new content feels lazy. HOD also feels like a grind when it comes up so frequently. I enjoy playing the game, but it's getting really stale right now .
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    No
    My choice likely is no surprise to anyone.
    I was just not sure what to take.. Of course, "no" is the clear option.. But "meh" sums up my feelings perfectly
  • tfg76
    tfg76 Posts: 258 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    No
    To some extent, as long we get PvP, there is at least some variation. Old PVE are the worst.
  • Gabrosin
    Gabrosin Posts: 259 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    No
    I'm actually fine with most older events, but there was a huge era of this game where the rewards were heavily tilted towards HOU packs.  It's the only Legacy set where I've got almost all the cards, and I'm sure I'm not alone there.  Please update the rewards to give us newer cards!
  • Grixis197
    Grixis197 Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Options
    No
    They were good back when they were new but time to move on only bring it back on a month or 2 like what AM is being treated like.
  • DumasAG
    DumasAG Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    No
    I too would prefer. Ew events to the old ones as nauseum. Also, aren’t polls supposed to have a non-vote option?
  • Mburn7
    Options
    No
    DumasAG said:
    I too would prefer. Ew events to the old ones as nauseum. Also, aren’t polls supposed to have a non-vote option?
    I believe "Meh" is my legally mandated neutral option, if that's what you were looking for.
  • Bil
    Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
    Options
    No
       The only thing i see as an advantage is that hod has 3 nodes instead of 5. 
       Just keep the structure, but in a new event! 
  • arNero
    arNero Posts: 358 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    No
    Being forced to play as a specific planeswalker for a node then get secondary objectives that actually work against the planeswalker is annoying (Elspeth, for example; thanks to her Koth-like mana gain, she NEEDS her white gems, and the game instead slaps her with "no support" objective.... sheesh).

So, no. No more HoD.
  • UweTellkampf
    UweTellkampf Posts: 376 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Yes
    Since I'm the only one who voted "yes" on this, maybe I should explain it a bit. (This is from a perspective of a plat player with a large collection)

1. I like the awards. For me they are in a perfect harmony with amount of play involved, and the ones for top5 feel incredibly rewarding for the amount of tinkering and working on the decks. Compared to any other legacy-pvp this is a gold (and purple) mine.

2. I like the suspense. Knowing that one single mistake or one rng-second of bad luck can lead to that one lost point that let's you drop from the best ranks, makes me remember why I like playing games like this. Compared to Accross Ixalan or RT or basically any PvE, it is just so much more fun always playing against the brink of the possibility to screw it up. If I screw it up in almost any other event, I'd be, oh well.

3. I like the challenge. Legacy is hard. People have been constantly increasing their collections, we are missing the next tier higher than plat, so pretty much everybody is here, plus there are so many broken combos out there that even something as stupid as Greg can handle well. 

4. I like the objectives. Even those that go "against" the layout of a PW. They seem all manageable, but are not a breeze, it is for me a good amount of being forced to rethink my decks without playing something completely insane like in the old firf for example.

So, yes. Please continue with HoD. I too say: once a month is enough though. I like some of the standard events too and would like to play those often. And: Give us other set PWs than the usual three. 
  • Theros
    Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    No
    Don't get me wrong, HOU is a good event but the rewards need to be updated to new contents. I hope they transform it into standard event with standard rewards; no need to create another event from scratch
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Options
    No
    Theros said:
    Don't get me wrong, HOU is a good event but the rewards need to be updated to new contents. I hope they transform it into standard event with standard rewards; no need to create another event from scratch
    They had the chance to do that when it was a standard event with legacy rewards. They decided to make it legacy, which is flavorwise the right decision.. But sadly, they didn't retire it as coalition event.

If at all, they could just do what always was the norm and rebrand it with fresh secondaries for a new set with new walkers, and just get rid of hod. Then, we'd still have the high reward high competition event some folks do enjoy, but don't need to see HoD every other week.
  • Yawgmoth
    Yawgmoth Posts: 67 Match Maker
    Options
    Yes
    One of the more enjoyable events IMHO. And rewards make it well worth it. And even more so when xmas buffed :)

It's just 3 nodes so not too grindy at all. Legacy means blazing fast matches. What's not to like?

An Elspeth-only node is also a good idea, a nice change of pace from playing multicolor walkers everywhere.

Seriously, there are many, many weekend events I'd hate to see repeated, but this one is NOT among them.

I agree it could be updated to not be a 100% repeat. New challenges always welcome. A twist in the objectives, reward different packs than old HOU (unless they're the XMas'18 edition HOU ;) )

An event that should be completely removed from rotation is Avacyn's Madness. That was some ridiculous amounts of grind for poor rewards, then for none, because progression ends at 250 and event lasts till you get near 1000.  Events that feel like a part time job are completely awful. HOD is not one of them.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just Dropped In
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Yes
    As others pointed out pretty much

Rewards are good but its more that its more balanced with the effort, i.e. number of games vs rewards compared to other events - the key is COMPARED to other events. I still think the number of games played could be a bit less or the event shorter, honestly. Personally i prefer 2 day events (which is usually 3 days) over 3 day events (which is usually 4 days) 

3 nodes = more freedom and less stress. I can clear 3 games [1 round of games (1 game per node)] without feeling overburdened unlike 5 node events. With 5 nodes, I have to play 5 games (1 round of nodes) in order to prevent refresh timer issues but it feels burdensome because usually the maximum charges are not very high, or in other words less forgiving. An example would be RTO with 5 nodes but 3 max. charges. One of the main reasons i dislike RTO is simply the pressuring feeling of having to micromanaging this game into my real life because of the higher number of nodes and more restrictive max. charges. 

Now some may think well 5 nodes is only two more? Well lets put it into perspective. 3 games at 10 mins a piece is 30 minutes. But if you get caught in a long game or short game the range is actually 15-20mins to 30-60mins. This means having some long games doesnt feel as grindy and long since the initial/ lower end of the time investment is low. In other words, one 5 min game (short), one 10 min game (average), one 20-30 min game (long) is still 35-45 mins but reasonable when compared to a 5 node event where 35-45 minutes will probably be the given or the lower end of the spectrum for time invested. What i mean to say is that a lower initial time investment allows an individual to play games at their own pace and enjoy it since they arent worried about spending too much time in the game and taking precious time away from other things in life. This results in less pressured feelings with a higher chance of positivity. Think about it, 5 minutes per game (short) for 5 nodes is 25 minutes and at 10 mins per game (average) is 50 mins. Then throw in a long game.. and it starts to feel well long and grindy.. and maybe they dont have time to afford on a long game.. increased pressure/stress.. and the more that feeling goes on, the more negative they will start to feel. 

7 max. charges held per node. This builds on the previous point. I can complete any number of nodes to better accommodate my schedule. Have a really busy day tomorrow? Well, lets free up 5 games on each node and not have to worry for an extended period of time while i take care of my real life. And this is especially important when things outside of my control happen and dont allow me to play at the time i had planned. This means more freedom and less anxiety/stress. Its just peace of mind. Do we need all 7 charges? No, but maybe this weekend i have personal plans that absorb more than 24 hours. Well i can do that, rest and sleep, and play with a more positive feeling. This is much better than cursing and thinking to myself why do play and this put myself through this? Pressured play produces more negative feelings, in my opinion. 

I like that 1 PW is locked because the other two nodes are free. I feel it balances the known vs unknown elements well. Additionally, it does make me use a PW i may not use so often so i dont think its bad (but more different walkers need to be used, i.e. add variety). And keep in mind, this event has these high rewards because it was based on the premise that you got the walker to play with... so makes sense. 

Before, i would say the objectives are counter-intuitive, which they still are. But now that the number of cards have expanded greatly since HoDs 1st iteration, its a bit more manageable. This is particularly true for elspeth, a color that specializes in supports. It didnt have a good spell pool but now is more reasonable. However thats not to say this is appropriate, its just more achieveable; and thus, my disdain for this has dwindled a bit. Despite all of this, the funny thing is that these types of objectives are exactly the type of objectives that are designed to be difficult. In other words, they are the challenge part that some players seek and at the same time divides the leaderboards a bit more. So i am a little torn about this portion and what to do with it. 

Side note: However i do feel the take 10 or less damage objective should always be paired with the same objective just more relaxed. In other words they should be together as follows:

Take 40 or less damage (2 ribbons)
    Take 10 or less damage (1 ribbon)

But like others once a month is fine. Just dont kill the event as a whole, spread it out - variety. 

P.s. these are just my opinions and thoughts. 
  • Mburn7
    Options
    No
    So, everyone who voted yes:

What do you think of RoTGP being run yet again?  The rewards are the worst of any event in the game and this is the 500th time (or so) it has been run.
  • Laeuftbeidir
    edited December 2018
    Options
    No
    Mburn7 said:

What do you think of RoTGP being run yet again?  The rewards are the worst of any event in the game and this is the 500th time (or so) it has been run.
    To be precise it's a jubilee run!
    (the count starts early kld)

ROTGP 24
    HoR 19
    HoD 15
    ToA 10
    ToZ 8
    RtO 7
    AWR 6
    AM 6
    ToS 4
    Bo4T 4
    TDW 3
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Yes
    Mburn7 said:

This one i can acknowledge i enjoy this event less. The rewards for effort isnt balanced. And i usually skimp on this event as far as putting in points. And as others have stated it has been rerun a lot. Are the timers still at 6 hours? If so, it doesnt help.. lol. 

The only good things about the event are 1) it is legacy so i can blast through it a bit quicker.  2) it only has 3 nodes. 
  • UweTellkampf
    UweTellkampf Posts: 376 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Yes
    Mburn7 said:

For the first time since I started playing, I will not play an coalition event. I really just cant bother with this anymore.
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Meh
    RotGP is listed as single player not coaltion for once...
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Options
    No
    Kinesia said:
    RotGP is listed as single player not coaltion for once...
    Not in the description.