How would you like your Elite+ rare packs

Options
tfg76
tfg76 Posts: 258 Mover and Shaker
I think it's unfortunate that we don't have non-dupe options for Elite Rare packs. They quickly become useless for the purpose of aquiring rares. Of course, allowing us to get Mythics for 120 jewels once you've aquired all the rares seems excessive. So, what do you think is a good solution?

How would you like your Elite+ rare packs 39 votes

Keep the current system
25%
Grixis197James13GrizzoMtGPQMachineThéséeLaeuftbeidirFroggyFirinmahlazerKronulFeliz 10 votes
Sell a unique, rare-only pack at 80 jewels
28%
madwrenandrewvanmarleTherosarNeroTomBtfg76Enygma6ArielSiraMark_TedinFedenBoogeyman 11 votes
120 jewels, with unique rares and fixed Mythic and Masterpiece chances, but if you have all the Rares, you can get dupe rares.
33%
bobby_2613AmoXJSkhurramYawgmothDumasAGBeclasGilesclonestikxsMburn7KinesianinjarkBigSwiftyGilgalad 13 votes
Other (please suggest!)
12%
Tilwin90fiirstBrakkisLordDorwin0utcast 5 votes

Comments

• tfg76
    Options
    Does it shine through that I don't have Concoct yet?
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    120 jewels, with unique rares and fixed Mythic and Masterpiece chances, but if you have all the Rares, you can get dupe rares.
    I think this is a fair compromise.  No guaranteed MP for 120 purpz, but at least you can round out your rare collection if you are so inclined
  • Feden
    Feden Posts: 79 Match Maker
    Options
    I've already seen too many questions on the 'new' system so it definitely needs to be simpler (I like the partial non-dupeness of the other option, I just couldn't imagine that being explained in game anywhere).  Given the confusion of the current set up to non-forum regulars, I think the best solution has to be only having Rares in the packs and slapping "NON-DUPE" over both somewhere.
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Keep the current system
    I'd say get rid of the rare pack completely. Keep it simple.
  • Froggy
    Froggy Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Keep the current system
    I'd say get rid of the rare pack completely. Keep it simple.
    I quite agree with this. Or at least make the rare pack strictly rares for 120 and no chance for a dupe.
  • Brakkis
    Brakkis Posts: 777 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Other (please suggest!)
    Froggy said:
    make the rare pack strictly rares for 120 and no chance for a dupe.

This.

Or leave it as is. I never bother with the 120 packs anymore. Always go for the guaranteed non-dupe 400 packs.
  • fiirst
    fiirst Posts: 438 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Other (please suggest!)
    Brakkis said:
    Froggy said:

This.
    either this or ZvE rare pack purchasable by crystal
  • Machine
    Machine Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Keep the current system
    Keep the system as it is. If you want a rare you don't have yet, just craft it.
  • tfg76
    Options
    I'm intrigued by the fact that several people want non-dupe rares for 120 jewels more than non-dupe rares at 80 jewels :)

I also like crafting, but it's bad that crafting isn't really available until many months after the set is released at the normal cost.
  • arNero
    arNero Posts: 358 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Zendikar duel packs have something which I like: Guaranteed non-dupes on special packs, and the game separates between rares only and mythics only.

Admittedly, it may not fully work with the current system due to the pack we have masterpiece cards, but that's something to think about.
  • Mburn7
    Options
    tfg76 said:
    I'm intrigued by the fact that several people want non-dupe rares for 120 jewels more than non-dupe rares at 80 jewels :)

I also like crafting, but it's bad that crafting isn't really available until many months after the set is released at the normal cost.

Don't forget, the 120 jewel non-dupe rare still has a chance of getting a mythic or masterpiece.  A low chance sure, but some chance is worth 40 jewels
  • tfg76
    Options
    @Mburn7

Froggy said:
  • Mburn7
    Options
    tfg76 said:
    @Mburn7

Froggy said:
    Oops, my bad.  That's what I get for skimming over the comments early in the morning lol
  • Yawgmoth
    Yawgmoth Posts: 67 Match Maker
    Options
    Most of the value from the current 120<pink> packs come from the fact you get mythics+ from them sometimes. About 1 in every 4 of them is above rare. It's just a cheaper and less valuable roll and has its uses.

When a new set comes out and you have very few cards from it, the current design of 120<pink> packs can be appealing. Especially if the set has playable rares. When you get at least 1/3 of rares in the current set it becomes too risky (turning pink into orbs at a very unfavorable rate is much fail). But if you're an active player you should soon start saving for the Mythic+ packs anyway.

As for the suggested fixes, each has advantages and potential uses. But nothing looks like a straight fix, it's not that easy. And possibly it's not even something that needs a fix. It's just an option. 

Personally, I've never bought the Rare+ packs, only doing Mythic+. No suggested change would change that. But I'm not the target group most likely. Players in lower tiers get less jewels and may want to spend them earlier and get more cards. Adding a dupe protection for just the rares (except when you have all) seems most reasonable, but if it came at the cost of lowering chances for mythics+ it may not be a good change.
  • Tilwin90
    Tilwin90 Posts: 662 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Other (please suggest!)
    I know some people recommend the current packs for newbies but I personally never encouraged them to buy these packs. Rares come as guarantees with the 5x packs anyway, and the risk of dupes is way too high. For this reason i encourage even newer players to save for the 400 pack and chase good value mythic/masterpiece packs (for this particular reason I also think the IXN pack is very bad!)

I am all for the rare pack being separate from the masterpieces/mythic one while also guaranteeing non-dupes. I loved the Zendikar vs. Eldrazi experiment from this point of view. Distinguish it for people digging for rares only.

Whether the cost should be 80 or remain 120 is something I cannot give my opinion since I never digged those packs anyway. From one point of view you no longer get mythics or masterpieces from them with this system, but from another you stop getting dupes so... not sure on the fair cost adjustment. 
  • LordDorwin
    LordDorwin Posts: 78 Match Maker
    Options
    Other (please suggest!)
    Other(please suggest) 

If duplicates are to be given out, then fix the conversion/crafting process so that conversion is at or near 1:1, ie. you can make a rare from a rare for that same set.

Presently, 2 GRN mythic rares are worth one GRN rare.

One GRN mythic rare is worth 5/6 of a LEGACY rare.

This is a preposterous state of affairs.  Booster crafting isn't all it's made out to be, not by a long shot.

Fix that, and the option of gambling for a new rare makes some sense for a certain category of player.

• Mburn7
    Options
    Other(please suggest) 

If duplicates are to be given out, then fix the conversion/crafting process so that conversion is at or near 1:1, ie. you can make a rare from a rare for that same set.

Presently, 2 GRN mythic rares are worth one GRN rare.

One GRN mythic rare is worth 5/6 of a LEGACY rare.

This is a preposterous state of affairs.  Booster crafting isn't all it's made out to be, not by a long shot.

Fix that, and the option of gambling for a new rare makes some sense for a certain category of player.

I dunno.  I think a 1:1 crafting ratio is a little too powerful.  I mean, it isn't great for the game or for Oktagon's bottom line if everybody can collect every card in the game super easily.    I mean, between the holiday rewards, non-dupe elite packs, and the holiday booster pack sale I would probably be able to get every card in standard in about 2 weeks.  As awesome as that would be, I am willing to acknowledge that it isn't great for the game.
  • LordDorwin
    LordDorwin Posts: 78 Match Maker
    Options
    Other (please suggest!)
    You have a point, Mburn7.  Perhaps I was getting carried away by saying 1:1 same set.

However, currently we are somewhere near 6:1 same set, if not worse.

If you cannot make 1 rare from the cheapest set for 1 mythic rare from the most expensive set, it smacks of greed.

Would a ratio giving 1 rare for a duplicate mythic rare (same set) be better, in your opinion?  My opinion, now that I've thought about it, would veer towards 1.75 to 2 at least.  If one considers the relative probability of getting them, mythic rares drop far less frequently than rares do, so the developers would still be doing well out of such a ratio.

Yesterday I wrote just after hitting just this problem, so I may not have been equanimous regarding the situation.
  • stikxs
    stikxs Posts: 518 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2018
    Options
    There is an element of risk, but the current 120 pack is extremely valuable at the beginning of a set. I did get stung with a few 120 dupes at the beginning of DOM, but I also pulled 3 or 4 120 mythics in GRN. Making them at least unique on rares until you have all rares would be a nice compromise, especially in a case where you have most but haven't pulled a Storm the Vault yet...

Also, everyone picking the first option realizes the 3rd is strictly as good or better in every case (unless by "fixed" it is meant to lower m/mp rates, I mean they are "fixed" currently and shown in the % button).
  • 0utcast
    0utcast Posts: 9 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Other (please suggest!)
    100 jewels for non dupe rares 100 % and mythics 20%. No masterpieces. 

200 jewels for maybe dupe rare/mythic/MP. Say 100%/35%/10%.

400 jewels - as now. 

Sometimes dupes are good for crafting some cards from other packs.