Are supports still a thing?

Options
2»

Comments

• The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Support is broken if it is made available easily. I'm pleased that they are taking the time to analyse data about how supports affect the game as a whole.
    What is the difference between supports and characters?  They are attainable items in the game.  Before the next  season starts, new characters are updated into the tokens (heroics, LL, classics, Elites, other token stores) so why can’t supports?  They already have the road map, just follow it.  
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I actually bought one of the support bundles for the first time today. It was because Vulture was the cover and I felt like trying my luck. I wouldn't have if the one-time offer wasn't a thing.

So really they got me on this one.

I got a bunch of dupes, of course, but I got a 4* molano at least. That's a thing. Useful if I ever manage to champ 5* Starlord...but since he's in classics and opening those feels like a waste of CP I probably won't for some time.

Didn't get Tinkerer. But at least my Vulture's a little closer to giving me a 5* Spidey cover.
  • Lopan15
    Lopan15 Posts: 225 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Got a support I didn't have today.  Didn't know I didn't have it.  I've been leveling all of my supports equally as I get riso, but I still couldn't tell you for sure which ones I have, or who they are equipped to, or what rarity they are, or what they actually do.  
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    There are a lot of differences between characters and supports.

1. Supports don't need roster slots, characters do. 

2. You need 113 covers to max champ any characters from 3* to 5*. That's a minimum of 339 LTs or 8475 CP.

Even if we were to use 13 covers and the luckiest scenario as an example, we still need a minimum of 91 LT pulls. To hit 80% of the pre-champed max level , approximately, 73 LT pulls are needed.

All you need is one Master Token to hit 80% of the max level. 

3. There are options to get newer support tokens: bundles, vaults and placement rewards. 

4. How powerful can support be?

How would you like to add an extra 2.7 to your character's critical multiplier?

What about +6ap at the start of the game 80% of the time? If planned properly, fire power at the start of the game?

Add between 400 to 531 match damage to your characters?

I think they will start by adding the "older" version of support batch by batch when the numbers are right. 

I'm sure the devs didn't come up with odds like 1:7, 1:14, 1:27, 1:20 out of nowwhere. These are calculated moves. If the numbers are right, they will make it more available. The devs are probably still analysing the effects of support in the game. 

• DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,369 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I stopped opening support tokens some time ago. What's the point if half of the supports aren't even included, and there's no way to get them to 4 or 5 stars without shelling out cash in overpriced combined deals?

Sad, because I also think supports are in principle a nice small extra to the game.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    There are a lot of differences between characters and supports.

1. Supports don't need roster slots, characters do. 

2. You need 113 covers to max champ any characters from 3* to 5*. That's a minimum of 339 LTs or 8475 CP.

Even if we were to use 13 covers and the luckiest scenario as an example, we still need a minimum of 91 LT pulls. To hit 80% of the pre-champed max level , approximately, 73 LT pulls are needed.

All you need is one Master Token to hit 80% of the max level. 

3. There are options to get newer support tokens: bundles, vaults and placement rewards. 

4. How powerful can support be?

How would you like to add an extra 2.7 to your character's critical multiplier?

What about +6ap at the start of the game 80% of the time? If planned properly, fire power at the start of the game?

Add between 400 to 531 match damage to your characters?

I think they will start by adding the "older" version of support batch by batch when the numbers are right. 

I'm sure the devs didn't come up with odds like 1:7, 1:14, 1:27, 1:20 out of nowwhere. These are calculated moves. If the numbers are right, they will make it more available. The devs are probably still analysing the effects of support in the game. 

In almost every single post you defend the devs.  The issue is they have no plans that they rolled out to update this store. This should not be that hard to do.  I took this from another thread that somebody posted. 

Supports launched on 4/5
    Added Children of Thanos to the support store on 5/22
    New supports dropped to only 3 perks at R1, 3, 5 on 7/3

They've been in game for EIGHT months now and it's five months since the last support related change

Now, do you think that is acceptable?  
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The last Support related change was in mid to late September where they increased the outflow of Red Iso-8 by a big amount, updated Support Bundle and Vaults with a big increase of Red Iso-8.

According to this post in the Support forum,

Brigby said:
    Smart80 said:
    Brigby, will newer (becoming very relative term) supports ever enter the rotation so we can at least have the chance to earn them?
    Yup! The team has been working out details for that, but I'm afraid I don't have exact details available to share just yet. Soon™

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/comment/847993/#Comment_847993

The next question you are going to ask is "When?" or "What is the expected schedule?"

The answer is probably: when the devs are certain of the details.

The other thing is, it's not about defending the devs. Many in this forum thinks that their solutions are the best or even better than the devs' solutions (which is almost always the case), and the devs must implement their solutions as soon as possible.  I just don't see the point of "forcing" the devs to do what the players think are correct. Remember, the players lack at least one important thing to justify their solutions: in-game data or metrics. At the end of the day, the devs need to compare the players' solutions/suggestions against the data that they have on hand.

As for communication, I believe the devs had made their stand pretty clear on how much they can reveal for future plans and they had given their reasons in the past Q&A this year. It's either the players understand the constraints the devs are facing or the players can continue to be angry about the devs not revealing future plans. I chose the former.

This doesn't mean the players should stop asking and chasing the devs for updates. The point is, there's no point getting angry or agitated if your suggestions are not being implemented at your expected schedule. The devs' jobs are on the line, not yours. It's only natural that they are careful about implementing players' suggestions into the game.
  • Twomp_thaDJ
    Twomp_thaDJ Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Don’t really want to but in, but you pointed out that the devs increased the flow of Red ISO which sounds great but they increased the flow of an item to increase something most of us don’t have aka Supports. I’m sure this isn’t the first time you’ve heard this. Secondly them increasing the odds in the vaults took it from impossible to semi impossible, there is no direct way to gain support tokens.  So I’m not sure what data we should be waiting to see?

And I believe the community is frustrated because the devs are seemingly super focused on supports, instead of say feeders, character balances, dilution, or new events. Yet with all the focus they are placing on them we still have no way of taking advantage of them.. and as mentioned before the newer supports that were released still have not made there way to support packs since May. So essentially all we get from the devs is “here we been taking time working on this new support you can pay for, for a limited time, and we have no idea if we will ever put it in the packs so you can have a slim chance to get it at a later day. Enjoy” 

this of course is just my 2 cents, but I’m sure if u add up everybody’s cents we could make a dollar or two  B)
  • Xavier_Mc
    Xavier_Mc Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I don't know if anyone else pointed this out, but you can't actually get a Master Support Tokens for the main store. They don't exist in the game.

You can get Master Support tokens for the new support store for 250cp once every 2-6 weeks
    And during that time you could spend a ton of hp resetting the vault to get more. But that is only for the new support store as well.

From what I remember the last time you could get a regular master support token was when they launched supports 8 months ago.