The hours are over. Let bolas die.

Options
Laeuftbeidir
Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
edited December 2018 in MtGPQ General Discussion
We've just had a discussion in our channel regarding the events. The question "how often did we have to play this event?" popped up (not for the first time).
Since I track coalition scores in the same sheet since Amonkhet came, I just added a fast counter :
So far, we're currently running the 24th incarnation of ROTGP, followed by 19 runs of HoR and 15 runs of HoD.
After that, we see the trials (Ambition as coalition event :ten, Zeal: eight) before seeing the first Oktagon event with six runs.

Bottom line? Two runs of TDW and 4 of Bo4t.

Please, stop running HOU events so regularly. It burned out players a year ago, and still does. Maybe limit it to a run every two months or something..

To me, this is most likely the result of the lack of new coalition events added by Oktagon.. To me, those events are the only relevant content keeping me playing. And I know a lot of other think the same way.

Comments

• Theros
    Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    coalitions are what keeping this community around. They are under appreciated
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    there's a lot of old events that could be brought back and made into fun coalitions events.  The original Amonkhet event for example was bugged and only made 2 or 3 playthroughs before it was abandoned.  A few quick fixups with that event and it could be a great addition :)
  • KageTora
    KageTora Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I'm all up for rerunning old events, specially considering I'm relatively new. Some of them feel new to me, because I wasn't around when they originally came out.

But I ask you - why not have new events? Why do we have to settle for the ones that stink of old, the ones a good part of the community is tired of, and the ones that fail to motivate coalitions? Why do we only get new events once in a blue moon, and then only have them run ONCE? Why did GRN come out without a new coalition event? Does Oktagon want this game to become stale? Do they not have the capability to develope events?

The only time this game truly feels alive and well (to me at least) is when new sets hit the game, as well as immediately before and after. That's what keeps the game alive - novelty, discovery, challenge.

And while new sets invariably provide that, not only is it short lived, but also extremely limited, specially when not accompanied by coalition events. Theros is right, coalitions are the lifeblood of this game and community. It's the driving force behind it and and extremely important segment of it's health. As such, coalition events become paramount in keeping the game and, most importantly, the community going.

At this point, all the people I regularly talk to tell me the same - coalition events are boring, unmotivating, and serve as only one thing - getting rewards. Events need to be more than that. If for Oktagon this game is meant to be business, for us it has to be, above all, a source of fun and entertainment. Rewards, while extremely important motivators, need to be secondary. Rewards just for the sake of rewards will eventually not be enough.

So, again, I say - old events are fine and fun but I, for one, am not satisfied by them. We need new events, we need the newer events to be released more often and we definitely DO NOT need any more ROTGP, HOD or the likes.

Please, for our own sanity, give us the newer events instead.
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The biggest thing is just "variety, variety, variety"... It doesn't matter exactly what, but it should be skewed like you used to be able to make "random" playlists in music players...

The new stuff should be played more often, the older stuff less, but then you add hard limits based on the number of times in the last 3 months (the cycle time and our collective memory limit).

Most of the old events are fine once in 3 months, the current set events, the newest, can be weekly or fortnighly even, and stuff from the rest of the standard timeline can fill in the in-between stuff...

Sort've like a pity timer for rerunning events!
  • span_argoman
    span_argoman Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    Options
    @Laeuftbeidir Does your tally for the HOU events include or exclude the prolonged 7-month period where HOU was the latest set? Cause if it does, then that would introduce bias into the tally.
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @Laeuftbeidir Does your tally for the HOU events include or exclude the prolonged 7-month period where HOU was the latest set? Cause if it does, then that would introduce bias into the tally.

Sure it's biased! But in this context, I don't think it makes a difference: no fancy analysis, just a "I really don't want to play these events anymore, here's why". For this, the overall numbers are enough.

I actually stopped from spending any other dime into this game when I realized there's not even a new event upcoming, and will continue to do so until that at least has changed.
  • Machine
    Machine Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm not against playing this event. IF Oktagon decides to run this event again, at LEAST they should think over the event ending and the recharge time. 6 hours in between will mess sleep up for a lot of players around the globe. For me, recharge time was 11 PM, meaning the next recharge was at 5 AM. I decided to stay up until 11 PM to play the recharge and I had luck the event ended. To me, ANY event that required players to break up their sleeping habits, just to be able to play all the charges is just utterly wrong.
  • span_argoman
    edited December 2018
    Options

Sure it's biased! But in this context, I don't think it makes a difference: no fancy analysis, just a "I really don't want to play these events anymore, here's why". For this, the overall numbers are enough.

I actually stopped from spending any other dime into this game when I realized there's not even a new event upcoming, and will continue to do so until that at least has changed.
     Ah ok. So would it be fair to say then that the change in secondary objectives for RotGP did not do anything to make the event more replayable to you?
  • Machine
    Machine Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    Options

Ah ok. So would it be fair to say then that the change in secondary objectives for RotGP did not do anything to make the event more replayable to you?

It has been for me, even more that it is a Legacy event now.
  • span_argoman
    Options
    Machine said:

It has been for me, even more that it is a Legacy event now.
    Ah yes I forgot that change too. I found it refreshing too but I have a strong Legacy collection. I guess it's less significant for players with less substantial Legacy collections.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I’ll take HOU events over B4T any day. 
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,227 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    starfall said:
    Laeuftbeidir said:

every pve encounter is a puzzle. The more often I solved it, the easier it gets. If you keep the same picture, and change the tiles, it doesn't become a different puzzle. 
    Shifting RotGP into Legacy made the puzzle even easier, as we had more, and more powerful, pieces to work with.

My three-year-old likes puzzles, but now that we've put together the same pieces in the same positions for the last year, she's getting pretty tired of them.  She still likes puzzles, she just wants new ones, with new designs and pieces.

Just sayin.
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,434 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I happen to like RotGP, thank you very much
  • Brakkis
    Brakkis Posts: 777 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Gunmix25 said:
    I happen to like RotGP, thank you very much

Someone has to
  • DumasAG
    DumasAG Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    From a lore perspective, Bolas doesn't die during or after the hours. This title should really be changed
  • Chocostove
    Chocostove Posts: 19 Just Dropped In
    Options
    How old is this game again? How long has it been since Amonket was released in paper? Personally it feels like I can hardly remember a time before AMN/HOD. And I've been around since week three at the very latest! Like seriously how hard is it to run this game in order chronologically? Or just pick something else for us to play,there's 6 other expansions. Let it die, or at least put it on a shelf for a while. It's this kind of repetition that's really killing my engagement with this game
  • Grixis197
    Grixis197 Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I done a thread last month about this
  • rafalele
    rafalele Posts: 876 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2018
    Options
    And we have scheduled Elspeth´s HOD as coalition event for next week. :/