How do you play pvp?

I am new to the forums.i dont know if it is alredy discussed.also my english is bad.
So my way of playing pvp is like this.
Join very very late.get into a new bracket.
Play for only the last 60-70 minutes.
Scores around 500-600.finishes top 25 every time.also i am day 45 player.so no shielding.plays at scl5.
So how are guys approaching pvp?
Your experiences Will be helpful for new comers.

Comments

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm pretty much the opposite: Join as soon as my slice opens. Beat as many Seed Teams as I can (usually 7-9), using the Loaner and a couple of 1*. Wait a couple of hours, and then go back in and fight the Retals with the lowest-level teams I can manage to beat them with. Repeat a couple more times over the course of the event, gradually working up to the full strength of my Roster. I go for Win-based Progression, and I can often manage to get something like 24-28 wins before I actually have to use my 4* characters. No shields, usually end up t100 or so.
    Do note that there is a big change when you go from SCL6 to SCL7. Placement becomes much, much harder, because players past a certain point are blocked from joining SCL6 or lower, so all the players with good Rosters, and who really take their PvP seriously, are in SCL7-9.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    You both described the exact way I play PvP. I fluctuate between both methods. I usually do points-based and do one straight climb at the end like the OP. Only difference is I play in CL9, and stop at 900. It has the best ROI in my opinion. 

Occasionally though I will do the wins-based, climb off retals method if I want to play an event more than usual. 
  • Screen Monkey
    Screen Monkey Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    16 wins and out
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    You are doing all right. See if you can push for top 1. Take note of the average points needed for top 1 in the next 3-5 PvPs. I can't remember how many HP you get for top 1 placement but in SCL 6, I think it's 100. Throw a 3 hours shield if you can hit top 1 and you have a net 25 HP plus better rewards. 

Most importantly, don't increase your Shield Rank exp too quickly via unnecessary 1* levelling. That's probably my biggest regret.
  • Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 587 Critical Contributor
    It depends how much time I have to play. If I have plenty I’ll join early, the less time I have the later I’ll join.

I generally use quite a lot of shields, but then that’s the only way to create/keep points in a shard, and the only way you can get to higher point scores ie 2-3k and up.

Needless to say co-ordination is also required (via LINE), and this is how the heavier rosters ie up to and including lvl 550 toons generally play the game.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Join early, get my ten seed wins, then do another 3-5 wins or maybe more if it's an event that's easier to get quick wins for like Carol's. Then throughout the rest of the event I'll do 5 wins here and there to hit 40.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    I generally play in CL7 with the aim to hit 900 points some time during the tournament and finish in the top 50.  With the higher clearance levels, I find the added progression rewards don't make up for the reduced placement rewards I'm likely to receive: especially since there is zero difference in difficulty.
    I usually end up joining a tournament a little after the previous one has finished (so maybe 12 hours or so from the start).  These days I pretty much always have at least two boosted 4* characters to play, so I take those plus the essential and play until the game stops offering me worthwhile matches.  I repeat this a few times as the average points in the slice rises.
    Some time 6-24 hours out from the end of tournament I'll try and push to 900 points to get the progression cover.  I'll usually have about 20 to 30 wins at this point.  Very occasionally I'll need to rely on wins to get the progression cover, but that's been rare recently.  If needed, I might use a 3 hour shield during this climb if I run out of health packs, but I've been finding that less necessary these days.
    Once I hit that point total, I usually stop playing until maybe 30 minutes from the end. At that point, I go through my retaliation nodes to find ones with a worthwhile point value (and don't consist of champed 5* characters).  Doing those plus a few extra nodes might get me to 750-800 points or so, which is usually comfortably in the top 50 and very occasionally top 25.
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    For normal season events, I play one of 2 ways:

1. (80% of the time) Start 4hrs or 9hrs before the end of the event, choose the most valuable opponents, race to 575.  If I have some big value targets left, go for 650, 725, or even 800.  Shield (3hr or 8hr) once I get to whichever plateau.  Walk-away.  Whatever placement awards I get are what they are.  Placement is pointless for the amount of effort it takes.

or

2. (20% of the time) Forget that PvP is running and completely miss the event.

As far as off season events go, pretty mush the same as above only it's 50-50 if do the event and I do not shield (Cause again, placement rewards are so tiny compared to the effort/cost that I don't deem them worthy of my finite resources.  YMMV)
  • Shintok17
    Shintok17 Posts: 620 Critical Contributor
    Reach 900 Points or 40 Wins. Whichever comes first. All I'm interested in is the 4* Progression reward. I don't use Shields or play for Placement. I have played competitively before and it was too stressful and resource consuming. I enjoy it the way I play now It's on my time and terms and feels fun.
  • Jexman
    Jexman Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    I aim for 900, generally in the last 12 hours of whatever slice I pick. I'll shield only once, when I hit 900, for the rest of the event.
  • jym010
    jym010 Posts: 108 Tile Toppler
    I go for the 575 10 CP.  Once I get that I can sit back and let the hits come in.  Plus it is a pretty easy way for me to hit my 4000 for the season.
  • crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    Thorkoye team:
    I join fairly early on in the event, get some easy wins and push my score up to 400-600.  With around 24 hours to go in the event I try to hit 1200.  If I can't do that then I decide if i want to bail at the 40/900 reward or grind out the 75 wins.  No shields until I have the 1200 pts or 75 wins, just to preserve my score.