Returning back to the game after 4 years, seeking help.

Doragon
Doragon Posts: 55 Match Maker
edited January 2019 in Roster and Level Help
Hey guys, I played this game when it first came out and was basically clinching #1 slots wherever I went back then because 4*s literally just came out when I quit. Coming back to it after 4 years, the landscape of the game has changed significantly.

This is my current roster - https://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/Doragon/spreadsheet/

Reading the guides, I figure I'm supposed to start up my 2* farm as I start leveling my 3*s. My question is this, as I do that, what 3* characters should I focus on? My assumption is that champing 3*s makes more sense than leveling 4* characters now.

Thanks for any advice that you can give me!

Comments

• SaltyK
    SaltyK Posts: 54 Match Maker
    edited November 2018
    Welcome back to the game! Just like yourself, i too am a returning player after years being away.

My advice would be:

1. Save hero points to buy character slots, you'll need a lot of slots.
    Currently, there are about 167 characters that will require rostering; this is excluding 7x1*, 1x2* Bag Man and any other duplicate 3*/4*.

2. Roster all 2* and start the farm asap.

3. Clear Deadpool dailies as much as you can everyday, keep your Juggernaut for the 1* node.
    Token wise, i recommend using these tokens until you get the 2* farm up then it's your choice if you want to save these tokens.

4. Set Iron Man 40 as your lone Bonus Hero for the 3* tier for now, he's a great asset and should be champed asap. You can use your 3* Thor as his partner, consider 5/3/5 and save yellow for IM40 battery instead.

5. For 3* tier - 
    Strang3 is a game changer for any stage with goons.
    Iron Fist is very good, even better when paired with Luke Cage but you probably know that already. I often see people use Scarlet Witch as a 3rd for them.
    Thanos is great for pve stages if you don't mind using healthpacks.
    Kamala Khan is a good partner for IM40 + Strang3 and can replace Thor once built.

6. Save legendary tokens, you can use command points to pull from Classic if you want but most people will recommend saving them too, do what's more fun for you.
    Alternatively, you also consider using them to level up essential covers for important 3* like Strang3's blue and yellow for example.

7. You'll always be short on ISO, focus on 2* and important 3* first.

8. Don't worry about transition to 4* yet, it gonna take a few months before you get there, even if you spend money.

9. It's a marathon and we are years behind the others, don't fret when you don't do well.

10. Enjoy the journey, this is important!
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,572 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2018
    Dr. Strange and IM40 are undoubtably your starting point. Strange is invaluable for PvE (and I still see him plenty in PvP) and IM40 is still perfectly useable with the 4* tier as well as the 3's.

Second place to look is the 2* feeders: You already have the 3* that are fed rostered apart from Hawkguy - he is definitely worth a roster spot. He brings nice utility and has healing. So that means rostering 2* Hawkeye which you should do anyway as he has excellent synergy with 2* Magneto. You are going to get these covers if you farm so might as well make use of them.

New 3* - Since you last played there have been a few new releases. Briefly:

1.) Dr. Strange - amazing
    2.) Thanos - a powerhouse but slow for his green and purple and hurts your team. Black is lethal.
    3.) Hawkguy - he has a great array of powers, healing (although with a drawback) and is generally solid.
    4.) Gambit - fantastic when released, nerfed into oblivion. His purple is still decent and HE IS TOTALLY not I think the only 3* who can create charged tiles because Ragnarok and Star-Lord can too! Thanks TPF Alexis! His black has an absolutely non-sensical team damage element now but it used to be free red & purple AP.
    5.) Elektra - is basically the same as the 4* version, just worse. Her black can be useful, there are much better red and purple users.
    6.) Starlord - some like him, some don't. He does quite a few things but I don't think any of them really shine above other choices.
    7.) Angel - I really haven't found a use for this guy. He is average at best and possibly even a bit below that. The one unique power was given to 5* Archangel only.

Non feeder 3* - My personal priority outside of the above would be Scarlet Witch due to her ability to make Match-5's. Then Kamala Khan due to her healing and AoE. Fist/Cage are obviously an old trusted partnership too but I think the two above actually have wider use above the 3* tier. For example, you wouldn't really choose Iron Fist as a black AP generator over Cloak & Dagger. Then you come to Thanos - Thanos Court Death power is a brutal way to clear PvE subs fast but it will cost you healthpacks unless you have healers.

Synergy

3* Falcon got a re-work and is now pretty solid. If you can snag any 4* Wasp Yellow covers then this has perfect synergy with Falc's purple power which now has an AoE effect and Wasp can flip his shields to strikes to shred opponents.

IM40 works with any red power obviously and decently with green but consider pairing him with Dr. Strange and you can get 2 casts of Strange's blue! Well worth it as it stuns, destroys enemy AP and causes damage.

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Doragon said:
    Reading the guides, I figure I'm supposed to start collecting and champing 2*s as I start levelling my 3*s. My question is this, as I do that, what 3* characters should I focus on?
    Focus on the ones you know to be good from guides and the advice in this thread, but try to roster and champ them all eventually. 3-star champ rewards go up to 266 (when they become max-champed) and every single one of them give great champ rewards like 4-star covers, Latest Legends tokens, CP, HP... basically some the resources you'll need to eventually move up to the 4-star tier.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    DAZ0273 said:
    4.) Gambit - fantastic when released, nerfed into oblivion. His purple is still decent and I think the only 3* who can create charged tiles. His black has an absolutely non-sensical team damage element now but it used to be free red & purple AP.
    Don't forget the mighty powerhouse that is Ragnarok! More seriously, 3* Star Lord can, too. They both only make green Charged tiles, tho.
    DAZ0273 said:
    7.) Angel - I really haven't found a use for this guy. He is average at best and possibly even a bit below that. The one unique power was given to 5* Archangel only.
    His black can be handy sometimes, because it shuts down all sources of AP for the chosen colour. It's niche, but it's saved my bacon a couple of times against IM40 or Mindless Ones. His blue isn't great, but it's usable for a 3* stun. His green is pretty useless as far as I can tell, tho.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 said:
    4.) Gambit - fantastic when released, nerfed into oblivion. His purple is still decent and I think the only 3* who can create charged tiles. His black has an absolutely non-sensical team damage element now but it used to be free red & purple AP.
    Don't forget the mighty powerhouse that is Ragnarok! More seriously, 3* Star Lord can, too. They both only make green Charged tiles, tho.
    DAZ0273 said:
    His black can be handy sometimes, because it shuts down all sources of AP for the chosen colour. It's niche, but it's saved my bacon a couple of times against IM40 or Mindless Ones. His blue isn't great, but it's usable for a 3* stun. His green is pretty useless as far as I can tell, tho.
    I completely forgot about those 2! Sorry Ragnarok & Star-Lord! I actually don't think Ragnarok is that bad... (ducks flying rotten tomatoes)

As for Angel - I have acquired him to a reasonably high level and have used him a few times but, well, I just never seem to actually need to fire any of his powers. Maybe he has been boosted with too many others overlapping his colour set but he just seems entirely pointless.
  • DAZ0273
    Dormammu said:
    Doragon said:
    Reading the guides, I figure I'm supposed to start collecting and champing 2*s as I start levelling my 3*s. My question is this, as I do that, what 3* characters should I focus on?
    Focus on the ones you know to be good from guides and the advice in this thread, but try to roster and champ them all eventually. 3-star champ rewards go up to 266 (when they become max-champed) and every single one of them give great champ rewards like 4-star covers, Latest Legends tokens, CP, HP... basically some the resources you'll need to eventually move up to the 4-star tier.
    This.

One of the sneaky things this game does is assign good 4* to mediocre 3* champ rewards. For example - Mystique gives Iceman covers and Psylocke gives Peggy Carter. So pretty much every 3* has value.
  • Doragon
    Doragon Posts: 55 Match Maker
    Everyone has really awesome advice that I am still trying to digest, especially with the huge list of 3*s that I have to manage. Thank you very much.

However, I'm having a huge roster problem right now - are there any 3* or 4* heroes that are definitely not worth rostering? I'm considering selling off 4* Wolverine (X-Force) and 4* Nick Fury given their fairly low rating on the 4* guides, do they show up often in PVE events?
  • DAZ0273
    Wolverine is a favourite for boss events although you can sometimes use other versions. So, uhm, Nick...well his eyepatch is cool...
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    DAZ0273 said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    I completely forgot about those 2! Sorry Ragnarok & Star-Lord! I actually don't think Ragnarok is that bad... (ducks flying rotten tomatoes)
    I don't find Rags as terrible as many seem to think, either. He's certainly not a "mighty powerhouse", tho, except when teamed with Riri for Ragfinity.
    Doragon said:
    Everyone has really awesome advice that I am still trying to digest, especially with the huge list of 3*s that I have to manage. Thank you very much.

However, I'm having a huge roster problem right now - are there any 3* or 4* heroes that are definitely not worth rostering? I'm considering selling off 4* Wolverine (X-Force) and 4* Nick Fury given their fairly low rating on the 4* guides, do they show up often in PVE events?
    Ideally, you should roster everyone. The usual approach is to not open any tokens unless you know you can roster anyone that's likely to come from them. For now, that means not spending CP or opening Legendary Tokens.
    That said, yeah, you're in a place where you do have to pick and choose. Focus on the lower level (2* and 3*) characters for the most part. I don't think I'd sell off X-Force Wolvie, tho. Even tho he is mediocre, you've got 6 covers for him there, which is almost halfway to being able to champ him. There would be less total cover waste if you sold off all your other 4* instead, since you only have 5 covers total among them. Before selling off anyone, tho, check the sneak preview thread to see if they're Required for an event coming up soon.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2018
    If you want to do it like I did, you can prioritize rostering every 4* at the expense of 3*s by keeping a flex-spot. That means just ruthlessly selling off 1-cover required character 3*s as necessary to progress through a story. Then, as you earn enough HP for a slot, just kind of start leaving in the ones you like until you have them all eventually. I don't know that I would actually encourage playing this way, just saying it's an alternative to hoarding until you're out of 3* territory.

Also, between saved covers and wins-based pvp, the climb from 2*-4* player is probably a whole lot different than it was even a year ago.
  • DAZ0273

Also, between saved covers and wins-based pvp, the climb from 2*-4* player is probably a whole lot different than it was even a year ago.
    Agree with this. It is just a shame that newer players have to face dilution again but there are now better tools to deal with it. I certainly never hit 900 points before my first 4* champ but I probably could have ground out a few wins back then.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    For sure; i never was able to climb simulator to 2k either, but over the course of the month a 75 win season would have been possible. And there are a good amount of 2 and 3* rewards in that to help such a player out in the sim, so I'd recommend figuring out how many matches you need to win/day(week/whatever) to comfortably get to the top of that (or at least get to what you want).
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    At the moment, it seems like the fourstar Essentials in PvE rotate between the Three newest (currently Nebula, Dazzler and Domino), then two older ones. Bishop and Prowler will take Nebula's and Dazzler's Place soon though. In practice, this means you don't really need to worry about the older characters being essential in PvE - if you can get some covers for the new releases you will be in a pretty good position.