surprising non-synergy (missed opportunities)

jredd
jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
Trying to rack my brain here as to pairs of characters that have bonus effects when paired together. the only ones i can think of are iron fist and luke cage. 

playing 5* loki in pve got me thinking. they totally should have had a bonus effect when he is paired with 5* thor called 'get help!' could have been like a 5 turn repeater tile that causes thor to throw loki at the other team doing damage each time the repeater hits 0.

any other combos they could have enhanced that they didn't? 

Comments

• rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    The most obvious to me is the Colossus/Wolverine Fastball Special. If those two characters were on the team, Colussus' power could cost less or do more damage or happen automatically based on a countdown or condition.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    I guess the most disappointing for me is Shuri and 4* Black Panther. There's just too much overlap, especially in red. It's not that they're terrible together, but I expect so much more and they're very slow to get up to critical mass. Once they are it's great, obviously, especially on wave nodes.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,157 Chairperson of the Boards
    5-star Iron Man gets some benefits from other members of Team Iron Man, and 5-star Cap (First Avenger, not LumberCap) gets a bonus for each member of Team Cap on the team.  But yes, there should definitely be some more overlap.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,391 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yepyep said:
    I guess the most disappointing for me is Shuri and 4* Black Panther. There's just too much overlap, especially in red. It's not that they're terrible together, but I expect so much more and they're very slow to get up to critical mass. Once they are it's great, obviously, especially on wave nodes.
    Shuri and P4nther are awesome together in practice, just not for rainbow match damage. Flood the board with fortification to play AP games with Shuri, flood the board with shielded Defend tiles from P4nther and every match is doing 8-10k damage. Seriously, once this team gets going, the amount of damage a basic match is doing almost feels like a bug. 

Bucky and Cap have like 0 synergy, which is a shame. I wanted to run a Bucky/Cap/Falcon team just for fun, and that team just kind of doesn't really work together that I've found. 

Coulson doesn't appear to have any Quake synergy that I've seen

Locking out Banner and Cho hulk from being on a team together seems strange to me; I really wanted to run a mega-sized hulk team of Main Event, Red Hulk, and Awesome Hulk. Not for power synergy, just for the lols of how big the sprites are.

Do Okoye and 5* Panther work well together? I have a 1/0/1 Panther so it's hard to tell - seems like he burns team up AP which doesn't really help Okoye any. I do find it very strange that 5* Panther's best bro is Thano5 though. That synergy is great, but...what?

Do Gambit and Rogue have any synergy? Seems like they kind of don't since Gambit locks out red, but I'm not sure since I so rarely use Gambit

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Spider-Man & Human Torch
    Kitty & Logan
    Cyclops & Jean
    Coulson & Fury
    Jessica & Cage
    Rogue & Gambit
    Elektra & DD
    Kate & Clint
    Cable & Deadpool
    Quicksilver & Switch
    Vision & Switch
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2018
    Shuri and 4Panther are great together. You have two red powers, but you don't want to use them at the same time anyway. Early on you use Shuri's to get more fortified tiles so she can start reducing AP costs (and start generating AP with her support if you've got it). Then you start using Panther's blue/yellow to cover the board with fortified special tiles, those fortified protects get a damage boost from each character's passive and can start to get nasty. Later on you can use Panther's red to further boost the tiles you've made, and Shuri's green is a good emergency stun. It's an engine team, which means it can be slow, but it gets devastating once it gets going. (and Emma makes a decent third, as much as people don't seem to like her)

5* Panther and Okoye is an interesting team. Full color overlap, but no AP overlap (Panther's active is black, Okoye's are yellow/red). Okoye uses yellow to heal and generate team-up AP, enough team-up AP sets off Panther's passive when you match more yellow. His black increases damage, her red deals it, team-up AP boosts damage. But it feels counter-intuitive because what we "want" is to max Okoye's team-up AP for her passive, but this team kinda has it ebb and flow. And then things depend on who is in front, since Okoye's passive drains team-up AP if she's not in front, but Panther's passive for taking damage requires him to be in front. No idea how they compare at similar level. But I think they work better together than they appear to at first, at least.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Aside from Luke-Fist the only teammate specific powers I can think of are Grocket's strikes and Mr Fantastic's passive. The game is full of missed opportunities since there aren't many specific synergies, but there aren't many specific non-synergies either. The only thing I can think of is 4* Deadpool or 5* Daredevil's cd tiles that you want to destroy, and powers that either speed them up or fortify them like 5* Hawkeye or Goblin. But they have no lore connection.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I like the specific synergies, but I like the soft-synergies too - 3* Cage and Iron Fist actually do work very well together with their powers and what they do, though neither is required to fully gain the benefit of it in the same way the 4* duo works. 

Black Bolt and Medusa don't seem espeically synergistic until you put Lockjaw in between them, which is kind of another interesting means of synergizing characters. Don't build it in explicitly, but put in a bridge support character and suddenly it's a whole other thing.
  • sambrookjm
    edited November 2018

Black Bolt and Medusa don't seem espeically synergistic until you put Lockjaw in between them, which is kind of another interesting means of synergizing characters. Don't build it in explicitly, but put in a bridge support character and suddenly it's a whole other thing.
    I'd just like to say that I really hate that node in MPQ Goes to Hell.  That is all.

If you're looking for team members that aren't really good together until they've got a third, Kingpin synergizes with the Maggia guys much better than he does with any actual characters, which must have been the sole reason for his rework.  if you really need to pick rostered characters for him, he does kind of sort of work well with Scarlet Witch (purple battery, constant countdown tile for his black to take out) and 3-star Iron Fist (black battery).
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited November 2018
    He works shockingly well with a countdown shortener like Coulson too. I prioritize KP's yellow over Coulson's there, and probably SWitch in the middle. Or maybe C&D, since they can feed black/yellow and have really cheap powers to trigger Coulson's countdowns
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2018
    Kingpin and 4-star Deadpool. If KP's black destroyed Deadpool's "Countdown for What?" CD tiles instead of removing them, they'd have great synergy. In fact, I have these weird memories of a reality in which they did work just like that, and it was pretty cool....

*Covert ops team breaks in through window*

"He remembers! Take him for re-education!"

*is dragged away by agents* 

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just thought of something else I'd like to see: A version of Jean Grey who gets different bonuses depending on whether she's got Scott or Logan on her team, but no bonuses if they're both there.
  • sambrookjm
    Just thought of something else I'd like to see: A version of Jean Grey who gets different bonuses depending on whether she's got Scott or Logan on her team, but no bonuses if they're both there.
    Or negative synergy...Scott and Logan's powers are lessened because they're fighting amongst themselves?
  • TPF Alexis
    Or negative synergy...Scott and Logan's powers are lessened because they're fighting amongst themselves?
    Exactly. Actually, it could probably be done pretty well implicitly just because of the colours the three characters tend to have. Give Scott a blue that synergizes with something Jean can do, while Logan gets a green like that, but the two of them each have red and perhaps yellow or black powers that really don't work well together.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2018
    Now THAT is a serious complication!  :D

And very much a private school possibility...
  • sambrookjm
    Exactly. Actually, it could probably be done pretty well implicitly just because of the colours the three characters tend to have. Give Scott a blue that synergizes with something Jean can do, while Logan gets a green like that, but the two of them each have red and perhaps yellow or black powers that really don't work well together.
    There's already at least one character that has positive synergy with some, and negative synergy with others - FalCap.  His passive that lowers a countdown tile by one each time you match a blue is very helpful with some characters, but can be a real pain in the butt with others.

Of course, since FalCap is pretty horrible anyway, he almost never gets used.
  • TPF Alexis
    There's already at least one character that has positive synergy with some, and negative synergy with others - FalCap.  His passive that lowers a countdown tile by one each time you match a blue is very helpful with some characters, but can be a real pain in the butt with others.

Of course, since FalCap is pretty horrible anyway, he almost never gets used.
    There are others, too. I noticed that Nebula and 2* Wolverine have some pretty significant negative synergy during the first Wave node in EotS. Wolvie wants you to fire his green before any red, and Nebula wants you to fire her red before any green. Doom and Daken also come to mind, with Doom tending to get rid of all the blue tiles that Daken needs to fend off the DTs.