Weird visual glitch (order of resolution) with Chekhov's Gun as Gwenpool downed

JSP869
JSP869 Posts: 822 Critical Contributor
Bishop's Shield Training event, first node in the bottom row, against Carol, Gwenpool, and Doc Strange. I took in Emma Frost (required), Okoye, and Medusa, and for no really good reason decided to KO Gwenpool first. (It's not like the AI was going to win anyway.)
Gwenpool went down to Medusa's Entanglement tile but as the damage was dealt and Gwenpool was KO'd, I saw Chekhov's Gun flash briefly. Then Gwenpool was "downed" and only after she was downed was Chekhov's Gun removed.
I just replayed that node several times and it happens each time.
When the lethal damage is dealt to Gwenpool the Gun tile flashes. Then Gwenpool is downed. She moves to the back and the next AI opponent moves to the front. The message pops up "Gwenpool downed" and only then is the Gun tile removed.
Not really a bug, per se, just interesting that the Gun tile is not removed until the final stage of Gwenpool's demise.

Comments

• bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    Why do cascades continue after killing the last enemy?  Why don't some cascades continue after killing the last enemy?  It's all about processing time and order of operations.  I would bet that when they developed Gwenpool, the action to remove the gun tile was added after the existing actions of moving the character to the back in shadow form and displaying the banner.
  • JSP869
    edited November 2018
    Oh man! That cascade glitch drives me nuts, especially if I'm trying to crank out wins as quickly as possible. It's most frustrating when it's me that's just been KO'd and all I want to do is get back to the match selection screen ASAP and heal up my characters, but no, the AI has to rub salt in my wounds and continue the cascade long after the match is over. 
    "Stop! Stop! They're already dead!"

• NotBAMF
    NotBAMF Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
    JSP869 said:
    Oh man! That cascade glitch drives me nuts, especially if I'm trying to crank out wins as quickly as possible. It's most frustrating when it's me that's just been KO'd and all I want to do is get back to the match selection screen ASAP and heal up my characters, but no, the AI has to rub salt in my wounds and continue the cascade long after the match is over. 
    "Stop! Stop! They're already dead!"

With no proof whatsoever, I always assumed the cascade thing happens to stop there from being a glitch in Wave nodes.
  • Ptahhotep
    Ptahhotep Posts: 428 Mover and Shaker
    Using Professor X today I noticed something strange. If you finish off a match with a match 5 then his passive doesn’t fire as there’s no one left to hit. If he is invisible, however, then finishing with a match he is tanking still fires the passive; the special tiles being boosted flash just as the victory banner is displayed.
  • JSP869
    edited November 2018
    bbigler said:
    Why do cascades continue after killing the last enemy?  Why don't some cascades continue after killing the last enemy? 
    Why is Thanos' Court Death so random? Sometimes it will kick in immediately the first opponent is KO'd, other times it kicks in partway through a cascade, and sometimes the cascade resolves in its entirety.

I had a cascade that resulted in a match 5 which fell into a critical match 3 which would have KO'd my final opponent, and the tiles did fall but the matches did not resolve. Court Death kicked in instead. Thanks, RNGesus.

• jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    JSP869 said:
    bbigler said:
    Why do cascades continue after killing the last enemy?  Why don't some cascades continue after killing the last enemy? 
    Why is Thanos' Court Death so random? Sometimes it will kick in immediately the first opponent is KO'd, other times it kicks in partway through a cascade, and sometimes the cascade resolves in its entirety.

I had a cascade that resulted in a match 5 which fell into a critical match 3 which would have KO'd my final opponent, and the tiles did fall but the matches did not resolve. Court Death kicked in instead. Thanks, RNGesus.

From what I can tell, some passive powers are set to fire immediately, and others are queued until the cascade is complete.  To make things a little more complicated, when some (all?) immediate passives fire, they will cause all the queued passives to fire before continuing with the cascade.

I suppose you've got a third type of passive in Mockingbird's opportunist, which is triggered on the opponent's turn but queued until your own turn.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    jamesh said:
    JSP869 said:
    bbigler said:

From what I can tell, some passive powers are set to fire immediately, and others are queued until the cascade is complete.  To make things a little more complicated, when some (all?) immediate passives fire, they will cause all the queued passives to fire before continuing with the cascade.

I suppose you've got a third type of passive in Mockingbird's opportunist, which is triggered on the opponent's turn but queued until your own turn.
    And then there's Ticket to the Multiverse, which triggers when there are traps in at least three colours while the board is settled, but doesn't resolve until one more action has happened first.
    Like Dayv says, we have always been at war with order of operations.