Non MP Storm of the Millennium (for Blue PW)- Standard Deck

Options
Hey all,

I was super-excited to pull a 1000-year Storm from a GRN pack yesterday and have been brewing like mad.

Now, obviously this deck is very modular, but the essence is to use 1000-year storm and surveil spells to flood your graveyard with spells and start launching Beacon Bolts to the opp's face.

In my experience, I've gotten results including casting a Beacon Bolt as the 3rd spell of the turn, earning 3 extra full mana copies, then jump-starting a 2nd non-copy Beacon Bolt and getting 4 full mana copies in hand for the start of the next turn.

I've tried versions of this decks with Teferi, Jace CC, and Kiora, all to great success.  The general crux is to get a Storm on the board, and then start building up mana to cast at leats 2 non-copy spells per turn--this starts to chain your spells so the second one gets 2 copies with 6 mana, often creating a free-casting situation.  Eventually, you can unleash multiple Beacon Bolts every turn or two, hitting your opponent for 10 or more damage per casting.  In the interim, you can use discard and return effects to control their board and hand.

Essential Cards:

-Thousand-Year Storm
-Beacon Bolt

Supporting Cards:

-Unexplained Disappearance (Surveil, Board control)
-Discovery/Dispersal (Surveil, Key engine card)**
-Talent of the Telepath (Powerful fetch and free mana-- multiple triggers of this can snowball quickly)

-Mission Briefing (Surveil, costly but good for casting extra beacon Bolts)
-Concoct/Connive (Surveil, Useful for playing high-cost units directly from graveyard or board control)

Helpful Enablers:

-Patient Rebuilding (Mythic, but good card draw and unwanted cards with free mana can be exiled to jump-start)
-Zhalfirin Void (Extra mana helps you get multiple spells off per turn)

Useful Extras:

Unmoored Ego (Great way to stall enemy, especially with Psychic Corrosion)

Psychic Corrosion (If combined with Patient Rebuilding and/or Discovery chains, you can raise enemy's card costs by 6+ every turn).

Disinformation Campaign (With multiple castings of Discovery and other Surveil cards, you can keep opponent's hand empty)

Tweaks with PWs:

In my experience, Teferi does the best with this deck, as his 3rd ability really compliments a stall build, while the 2nd ability's extra swap allows for more abuse of 1000-year storm to get those 3rd (or even 4th) spells off in a single turn.

Jace CC brings token creatures to the build, allowing you to hammer the opponent with both illusions and spells- his 1st ability also is an enabler for discarding spells into the graveyard (particularly Beacon Bolt)

Kiora can add Saproling summons to the mix, as well as gem converters.  I found great success with Sprouting Renewal (GRN) as it became a 5-cost spell with 4 tokens in play, quickly building an army of vigilant soldiers and eliminating all my opp's supports.  I imagine Chord of Calling and March of Multitudes could be similarly abused.

I welcome comments and recommendations
Tagged:

Comments

• Modest_Supreme
    Modest_Supreme Posts: 26 Just Dropped In
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I've been using this build with Ral, Izzet Viceroy:

Supports
    • Thousand-Year Storm
    • Storm the Vault
    • Patient Rebuilding
    • Psychic Corrosion
    Spells
    • Beacon Bolt
    • Stitch in Time
    • Discovery
    • Unmoored Ego
    • Connive/Concoct
    Creatures
    • Goblin Electromancer
    Ral's mana bonuses make it possible to play Stitch in Time when you draw them while you have a Goblin Electromancer out.  I wasn't playing with hardly any supports at first but your Psychic Corrosion idea seems to be working much better.  Also having Ral's 3rd ability + TYS will most likely be game over if you can cast 3+ spells that turn.

Other Cards of Note:
    • Drowned Secrets
    • Lazav, the Multifarious
    • Other surveils already mentioned by OP

I found these to be really handy too.  Drowned Secrets will get your Beacon Bolts hitting harder a lot faster and Lazav is nifty because he will continually give you copies to toss towards your jump-start costs when you surveil.

On turns that you have extra swaps, keep one of full mana copies of Beacon Bolt to toss towards the jump-start cost of one in the grave.  That way you'll be able to cast that from the grave and get another full grip of copies.
  • Modest_Supreme
    Modest_Supreme Posts: 26 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Pulled a Glimpse the Unthinkable and with the "fix" for TYS not being able to play the copies that it makes the same turn that it makes them, it is really a must have to get as many Beacon Bolts in the graveyard as possible and then pitch copies towards.
  • Snappyturtle
    Snappyturtle Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    Options
    How about Book Devourer? If you are running STV already it shouldn't be a problem to dump a hand if the card draw will bring em back to full. It would mean even more spells in the graveyard.