Quality of Life hackaton

Options
There are tons of possible quality of life improvements in the game but they don't seem to get priority over new content.
Maybe it's a cool idea to create a hackaton in which all developers get 24 hours to create QoL improvements on the game that they feel are overdue.

Just get some beds, gallons of energy drink and cola, a truckload of cheese chipito's, a couple of pizza's and a big lock on the door (to keep other people out ofcourse) and let the creativity go wild.

I expect the result will be a ton of (relatively) easy to implement QoL improvements, lots of happy users and tired but fulfilled developers!

Comments

• bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I like the idea of letting developers implement things that they want to do, but a hack-a-thon would surely result in lots of bugs the next day and some players may not like them.  There's a reason there's a process to the changes.  No one should make big decisions in a vacuum.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    bbigler said:
    I like the idea of letting developers implement things that they want to do, but a hack-a-thon would surely result in lots of bugs the next day and some players may not like them.  There's a reason there's a process to the changes.  No one should make big decisions in a vacuum.
    Software development doesn't work like that. The developers wouldn't be committing any new features or fixes directly to the game on the day of the hackathon, they'd keep them in separate branches and merge them after they've gone through the full code review and QA process.
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    Options
    IYeaheahI said:
    There are tons of possible quality of life improvements in the game but they don't seem to get priority over new content.
    Maybe it's a cool idea to create a hackaton in which all developers get 24 hours to create QoL improvements on the game that they feel are overdue.

Just get some beds, gallons of energy drink and cola, a truckload of cheese chipito's, a couple of pizza's and a big lock on the door (to keep other people out ofcourse) and let the creativity go wild.

I expect the result will be a ton of (relatively) easy to implement QoL improvements, lots of happy users and tired but fulfilled developers!

Because the best code is written after 24hrs without sleep.