Unable to not discard cards when using Surveil (when Surveiling?)

Options
Mburn7
Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
When casting a card with Surveil, you have the option to select "not now" instead of surveiling.  Fine.

But if you do Surveil, you MUST select and discard the appropriate number of cards.

I'm not sure if that is correct, since the point of Surveil is to filter your draws.  If you like the cards you are going to draw, you should not be forced to discard them.

Comments

• EvilDead
    EvilDead Posts: 167 Tile Toppler
    Options
    There should be a small penalty for placing some cards on top of your library so you know they're coming next etc.

You have the option to "not" surveil so if you choose to do so then at your own risk so to speak? 
  • stikxs
    stikxs Posts: 518 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm surprised you even have the option to skip the surveil part at all, I was expecting it to happen all the time from reading the tooltip on it. I dunno if being able to see what your next 4 cards and then cancelling it would be too helpful, to let you plan quite a few turns in advance.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,227 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    stikxs said:
    I'm surprised you even have the option to skip the surveil part at all, I was expecting it to happen all the time from reading the tooltip on it. I dunno if being able to see what your next 4 cards and then cancelling it would be too helpful, to let you plan quite a few turns in advance.
    Well, in paper, surveil lets you look at the top X cards of your library and choose to put any or all of them back on top of your library or in your graveyard. So you can use it just to see what's coming up.