Cascades without end

2»

Comments

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    This enemy advantage in drops was a 'perception' that was so prevailing that steps were taken to address the issue.  At least for PvE.  Meaning it is now semi-random.

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/73325/enemy-cascade-limiting-6-12-18

Didn't seem to work!
    Of course it didn't seem to work.  They were trying to fix a problem with human perception.  No matter how true something might be some people will believe it's something else, especially when it comes to things people don't understand and/or things that negatively affect them.
  • cpeyton3535
    cpeyton3535 Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
    broll said:
    This enemy advantage in drops was a 'perception' that was so prevailing that steps were taken to address the issue.  At least for PvE.  Meaning it is now semi-random.

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/73325/enemy-cascade-limiting-6-12-18

Didn't seem to work!
    Of course it didn't seem to work.  They were trying to fix a problem with human perception.  No matter how true something might be some people will believe it's something else, especially when it comes to things people don't understand and/or things that negatively affect them.
    Exactly my point.  Perception is a tough nut to crack.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Phumade said:
    Yepyep said:
    Rosraf said:
    Look, it is clear the color drops are not random as of the moment they drop, and the AI calculates them before they appear on a screen. 
    For sure, there are built in advantages for players. But bonus AP seems to disproportionately favor the AI. 
    More telling than anything, is that there IS an algorithm ordering drops. Period.

Just these two truths are proof (to me) that there is a process to the drop. It is not random. If the drop is not random -- then what is?
    I’m not sure I understand your point?

is the drop random?  No they told you the gems are weighted to drop more often than TUs. By definition that is not random

are tiles randomly placed on the board?  Yes randomly enough that you would need a large number simulator to prove that any one position on the board has a higher affinity for any one tile over another position.

Your question is like asking if every seed in MIcrosoft freecell is beatable.  The answer is no there are unwinnable seed games.  Does that make the game inherently unfair?

It sounds like you understood my point pretty well. My further point, implied, is that many things in the game are obviously not random and it is a mistake to think that they are. There is a lot of room for skewing probabilities before  things encroach into the realm of "cheating," for sure. Moreover, as others have mentioned, I'm not sure how much I or anyone else would like the game if its processes were truly random (if that were even possible, which it is not).
  • Banquetto
    Banquetto Posts: 29 Just Dropped In
    edited November 2018

Especially when, as often seems to be the case, a lot of players treat the actual playing of the game as an irritating chore they have to perform in between pressing the button on their food dispenser and getting a pellet of food. Anything that gives a chance of slowing down the game, causing them to use a health pack, or (god forbid!) causing them to lose is an unwanted impediment to the collection of tokens and currency.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,189 Chairperson of the Boards
    Banquetto said:

Especially when, as often seems to be the case, a lot of players treat the actual playing of the game as an irritating chore they have to perform in between pressing the button on their food dispenser and getting a pellet of food. Anything that gives a chance of slowing down the game, causing them to use a health pack, or (god forbid!) causing them to lose is an unwanted impediment to the collection of tokens and currency.
    Interesting way of looking at it.

For me the annoying part is that I've played SO many matches against so many teams that I have a VERY good idea how a match will go with average gem falls (no crazy cascades either way) + board denial etc. By that I mean my winning chances, the approximate time the battle should take, the approximate damage I'll receive etc. I'm very accurate in my assessment as I imagine are a lot of other vets who've played for years.

So when things go WAY outside the norm is when we get annoyed. In fact if there was an option to turn OFF critical's I'd do it (by critical's I mean those from gem falls/matching, not ones placed via powers like Chavez, MEH, 1* Hawkeye etc) simply because it reduces randomness and lessens chances of crazy cascades and therefore matches go as expected. When critical's were off a Match 5 would be nothing more than a Match 4 (no extra turn).

KGB