Options
2»

Comments

• Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Rhipf said:
    This may be obvious but...

You didn't mention if you have any 1* covers in your roster. If you have more than one you could sell them and use those slots to roster 3* and 4* covers. You only need one 1* for DDQ (I like Iron Man others seem to like Juggernaut).

Again, I assume you already know this but just in case I thought I would mention it.
    Good call on this advice. I don't always think of that, as I take for granted everyone already knows it.

FWIW, I feel the reworked Spiderman is the best 1* for DDQ. Cheap, yet effective powers all around.
    Yeah Spider-Man is pretty good. Juggs is the winner in my book mainly because he can (basically) one-shot anyone in that node for only 2 Red matches. The self-damage from Headbutt is totally inconsequential for anyone who isn't actually using 1* characters.

The only thinking you have to do in that mission ever is prioritize those dumb Doombots with the black CDs that stun. They only have a few hundred health, so it's not hard, but if you forget you could end up being chain-stunned for 10+ turns.
  • dxanders
    dxanders Posts: 102 Tile Toppler
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Just to clarify, I'm only keeping one 1*, and all my 2s are being used to farm. It's looking like i'll be able to roster the majority of the 7 or 8 I'm looking at, so no big deal. I'm using 1* IM, and I understand now that he's not the most effective choice, but I'm also not in a huge rush to swap him out.

I'll probably spring for the $5 HP pack using some Google Play points i've acquired, but I'm not looking to spend much more than that right now.

And in regards to the heroics... They're just fun to open now and again, and they feed my compulsions. I know it's not the most practical move, but I can live with it.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,629 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'll add my vote for 1* Spidey also. I must have used Juggernaut for a good 3 years in DDQ and it never occured to try anybody else but I actually look forward to using 1* Spidey these days. I may get bored again but his powers are quite fun and actually having 3 powers over 2 is a novelty in itself in that node.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2018
    Options
    1* Iron Man is fine, you'll just never use his blue. I was running him for a long time, and then got bored of it and waited until i had enough Sp1der-Man on my vine to just straight up swap him out all at once for a viable replacement. It's relatively easy to rotate out the 1* you have on roster after a day or two of PVP play just from after-match rewards. If i thought Yelena could solo that node, I'd probably roster her instead just to have all the Limiteds - I probably throw away 3 of her a day (if not more) from random PVP stuff. I'm just not convinced she can hang.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I've been farming XP from 1* covers, so nothing gets wasted, even Yelena covers.
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Strategically selling off 2* characters is also sometimes an option, if you don't mind slogging through DDQ with underpowered characters.  If you have an assortment of 2* covers in your queue, you can sell off a few rostered characters to make space, keep one of the slots as a "floating slot", and sell off that character and roster from your queued covers as needed for the required node.

Keep in mind that this approach isn't for everyone, and has some significant tradeoffs in terms of resource flow, since you're trading 2* champ rewards and XP in favor of opening up short-term slots.  However, once you're starting the 3* to 4* transition, you will likely be in need of HP far more than ISO (assuming you have most of the 3* tier champed), and dilution makes acquisition of all characters increasingly difficult, so getting all of those rarer characters in your roster is probably a better long-term play.
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 973 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Strategically selling off 2* characters is also sometimes an option, if you don't mind slogging through DDQ with underpowered characters.  If you have an assortment of 2* covers in your queue, you can sell off a few rostered characters to make space, keep one of the slots as a "floating slot", and sell off that character and roster from your queued covers as needed for the required node.

Keep in mind that this approach isn't for everyone, and has some significant tradeoffs in terms of resource flow, since you're trading 2* champ rewards and XP in favor of opening up short-term slots.  However, once you're starting the 3* to 4* transition, you will likely be in need of HP far more than ISO (assuming you have most of the 3* tier champed), and dilution makes acquisition of all characters increasingly difficult, so getting all of those rarer characters in your roster is probably a better long-term play.
    This exact approach got me through over a year of recovering from some early poor rostering decisions. It wasn't easy (though sometimes felt very rewarding when the "gameplan" worked out).

I'm so glad to finally have "paid" for all of those sins and am now comfortably HP positive and am now back on track in my transition to 4* land (just champed #14 this afternoon).
  • Theghouse
    Theghouse Posts: 315 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    My advice is only save the 4*s at this point if you have multiple covers on the vine. If you only have 1 cover, let it go.  Focus on rostering and then champing all 3*s.

It's inevitable that you'll lose some 4* covers in this game, unless you want to spend a ton of your money on HP.  Even with the most optimal token strategy to minimize risk of cracking a toon you can't roster, you will still earn 4* covers as champ rewards from your 3* and also from progression in PVE at SCL 7+, and you will not be able to keep up with the 1000 HP roster slot costs or the growing number of 4* toons.

4*s with less than 10 covers are generally useless other than unlocking required nodes because their powers and health just aren't up to par with 3* champs.

3*s are faster to cover, will be your strongest toons for a long stretch, and unlock so much more of the game.  With a full roster of 3*s, you'll always have 2 required nodes for PVE for easier progression, always be able to complete the first 5 nodes of DDQ for more taco tokens and the daily 3* cover, and the champ rewards will dramatically accelerate your roster progress into 4* land.

Before I stopped playing about a year and a half ago, I made some terrible roster choices.  After returning a few weeks ago, I'm still paying for those bad decisions.  Luckily, with another 6 weeks or so of smart roster strategy, I'll be back on track and will start making much quicker progress.