Anniversary Contest - And the winners are... (10/22/18)

Options
Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
Hi Everyone,

During the Anniversary, we announced that we were bringing back forum contests! We kicked it off with the following Doctor Strange contest question:
  • In total, how many Doctor Strange (Stephen Strange) covers have been awarded through Bonus Heroes ever?
We had written down the number at the time we announced the contest, and the correct answer is....
  • 1,556,350 Doctor Strange (Stephen Strange) Bonus Heroes Covers!
And now, to reveal the winners. Drum roll please!

The players that submitted the 3 closest guesses are...
Congratulations to our 5 winners! Please send me a private forum message by 10/29/18 with your in-game name and the cover you wish to receive! (Please note that if you do not message me by then, we will consider you to have forfeited your prize, and it will go to the player with the next closest guess.)

Thank you so much to everyone that submitted guesses! Keep an eye out next month when we reveal our November forum contest!

Comments

• killercool
    killercool Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    wow, I feel stupid with my 44,567 guess now.  That is a lot of heroes for Doctor Strange.  Well done to the winners.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dammit I knew I went too low.
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Wow. That is a really big number.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Congrats to the winner. Approximately 700 days have passed by since Dr Strange was released to the wild.

5% Bonus Heroes = 1,556,350
    The number of tokens pulled could be 31,127,000 pull during this period. At least 44,467 tokens were pulled per day. We have not factored in  Bonus Heroes for other 3*.

That's a lot of pulls per day and a lot of players pulling every day.
  • halirin
    halirin Posts: 327 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Holy goodness! That's a lot! 
  • Xception81
    Xception81 Posts: 412 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Wow I thought I was high! So... who should I pick? :-)
  • KenshinUK
    KenshinUK Posts: 91 Match Maker
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I knew that extra 500 would make all the difference! lol
    Gone for a green Cable cover myself. :smile:
  • jsmjsmjsm00
    jsmjsmjsm00 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Wowza I wasn't expecting this. How exciting! 
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,369 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Huh, that's a lot more than I would have thought! I really thought it couldn't have been more than about 100k, and I went a bit below that. Impressive!
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Congrats to the winner. Approximately 700 days have passed by since Dr Strange was released to the wild.

5% Bonus Heroes = 1,556,350
    The number of tokens pulled could be 31,127,000 pull during this period. At least 44,467 tokens were pulled per day. We have not factored in  Bonus Heroes for other 3*.

That's a lot of pulls per day and a lot of players pulling every day.
    Best as I can tell, though, it's been 597 days since Bonus Heroes became a thing.

So at that rate, you're at more like 52,139 Heroic pulls per day from the community...if every bonus Strang3 dropped from Elite/Heroic/blind event tokens.

But 1:50 standard tokens will get you a guaranteed 3* Bonus Hero. Most Story events will earn you 7 standard tokens, one elite, and one heroic, which are the only tokens from Story events eligible for Bonus Heroes. From PvP, one standard token and one elite token, and three blind event tokens. So, ignoring heroic tokens purchased with HP, what you're looking at is an 8/14 likelihood that a given token opened in a 3-day period is a standard; that means you're at about a 1.1% chance of a given token pull yielding a bonus hero.

That means it might have taken as many as 141,486,364 pulls from the community to achieve 1,556,350 bonus Strang3 covers, or 236,996 community pulls per day!
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wow! I was miles away, that is a LOT of bonus heroes!

Congrats to the winners!
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @DFiPL did a good job catching my errors. I've forgotten that Bonus Heroes was started in early 2017. 

I did a simple calculation of using 5% rate because taking into the different calculation of Standard, Elite and Heroic Tokens are going to be a difficult task due to a lot of variations.

That's a lot of pulls 
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @DFiPL You forgot about the bonus rewards you can get for a month from purchasing something. I typically get 2+ Elite/Heroics a day from those in Story mode.

Now to decide which cover to ask for. I've been working toward champing my 8/3/3 Thor but Okoye/Thor is holding up for me in PVP even with being level 420. I'm thinking I should use this opportunity to get a purple for my 5/5/0 Daredevil.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Options
    So are they saying Dr Strange is the most favorited 3*? I wonder how many people have him as their only bonus 3*, because I know I spread out my bonus 3*s
  • dramatist
    dramatist Posts: 220 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Would be interesting to see how many total bonus heroes of a truly awful 3* like Sentry has gotten in comparison.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Straycat said:
    So are they saying Dr Strange is the most favorited 3*? I wonder how many people have him as their only bonus 3*, because I know I spread out my bonus 3*s
    That's correct! Doctor Strange (Stephen Strange) is hands-down the character with the most Bonus Heroes given out; by quite a large margin as well!

The 3-Star character with the second most Bonus Heroes given out is Thanos (Modern) at 810,573
    Unless you’re saving it for a future contest, who is the least given out 3*?
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Wow I thought I was high! So... who should I pick? :-)
    If in 5-Star Land, Thor or Okoye if you don't have them champed yet and are close.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ZeiramMR said:
    @DFiPL You forgot about the bonus rewards you can get for a month from purchasing something. I typically get 2+ Elite/Heroics a day from those in Story mode.

Now to decide which cover to ask for. I've been working toward champing my 8/3/3 Thor but Okoye/Thor is holding up for me in PVP even with being level 420. I'm thinking I should use this opportunity to get a purple for my 5/5/0 Daredevil.
    I didn't forget so much as deliberately omit them because I don't have the figures to tell how many people have bonus rewards active in a month, and not everybody gets the same number or types of drops in a day. It changes the math in a way I can't account for.

But based on predictable token acquisitions, my figures represent a probable ceiling, not a floor; I phrased it as 'might have taken' rather than something more assertive for that precise reason.
  • Felonius
    Felonius Posts: 289 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Congrats to the winners!