Howard vs. Devil Dino

Roland113
Roland113 Posts: 298 Mover and Shaker
Hello all, so, with the anniversary coming up, I was thinking about both Devil Dino and Howard.  With DD the only time we get covers are the anniversaries, either a personal or the MPQ Anniversary extravaganza.  With Howard we get one every few months whenever his event played out.  I would have thought that Howard would have been higher covered than DD but no, I've got DD champed (with a bonus level) and Howard at 5/1/3.  I would have expected that Howard would have been higher.  So, I'm curious if I'm an anomaly or that is the norm.  I'm looking for data.

Anyone who's interested could you please post your total DD covers, your total Howard covers and your days in.  For instance:

DD: 14, Howard: 9, Day 1051

Once I get some numbers I'll see which character gets their covers more quickly.

Update:  As I was typing I realized that Howard was introduced more recently than DD so I at least had some time to get DD covers before Howard was even a thing.  That's going to skew the data a little bit.  I may end up going back and see when Howard was introduced and comparing data sets separately based on people that started after Howard was introduced versus those that started before.

Comments

• NotBAMF
    NotBAMF Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker

I'm at day... 636. Both characters have existed since I started playing.

My Devil Dino is champed at level 272.

My Howard is barely covered. 1/2/2.

• St_Bernadus
    St_Bernadus Posts: 631 Critical Contributor
    I am at day 661.
    Devil Dino is  at 4-1-4
    Howard is at 0-3-5
  • Polly_P1
    Polly_P1 Posts: 99 Match Maker
    Day 1096

Dino - champed 286

Howard - champed 277
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Howard was released around April 1st of 2016, Devil Dinosaur as a rosterable character was Oct 2014.

I am about a month from 5 years of daily rewards, and prior to today I have:
    Devil Dino: 47 covers (+2 from a respec before champions existed?)
    Howard: 25
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2018
    Day 938
    Devil Dino = L290
    Howard = L274

The reason most people's Dino is higher IMO.
    1.  While Dino is only given out during the anniversary, he's given out pretty liberally(specially if you have a hoard of HP and/or are willing to pay for HP for the vault).  I got my Dino to 13 covered the first anniversary I was in, at which point I had only been playing for ~6 months.
    2.  You get free Dino covers from daily rewards in 3s every year or two, I don't know if you ever get any free Howards from there.
    3.  Howard covers being in his event is relatively new (less than a year?  maybe 4-5 event runs in that time?).
    4.  Saved covers didn't exist before.  Getting large clusters of covers for a character at once was generally better than one by one random due to having to get the right match up for 13.  Because of this people are more likely to have thrown away a Howard than a Dino.
    5.  Dino has been in the game much longer.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Devil Dino covers have always been more plentiful because of anniversaries. I fully covered him after one anniversary with some active vault dipping, (though I only just champed him now and threw away a lot of covers over the years because I had other champing priorities).

Meanwhile, my Howard sits at 5/4/3 still waiting for that last cover. I have tossed a couple of 6th green covers, though, in the era prior to saved covers.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,391 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2018
    Day 973:

I had a 1/1/1 Devil D from daily rewards way back, but let him go in a fit of clearing out my roster (i had some funny ideas once upon a time about the best way to manage my roster before I had enough slots for everybody). I put him back on last year at the anniversary, and so he had 4/0/0 coming out of that. I got a red cover today for a total of 4/1/0.

Howard is at 5/1/4 for me right now, i've yet to score one from this anniversary.

I'm really hoping that Taskmaster is not strictly annual, and I'd love it if Devil-D dropped from a PVE like Howard does moving forward; is it the hunt, or the hulk that has a dino node in it? it should drop from that.
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 984 Critical Contributor
    I sell both the instant I get their covers.
    Not worth the roster space.
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    Day 1711

Dino - champed 370
    2nd Dino - 1/2/2

Howard - champed 293
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    As others have noted, while Devil Dino is only given out at Anniversary and once a year in the resupply, they flood you with his covers. I personally sold about 10 of his covers last Anniversary because I didn't want to use my ISO champing him.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Day 1674 (G4mora tomorrow!)

Dino - lvl 308.  Hoping for that sweet, sweet LT by the end of Anniversary.

Duck - lvl 287.  Close enough to hope for that second sweet, sweet LT.
  • Roland113
    Roland113 Posts: 298 Mover and Shaker
    Cool, thanks for all of the info everyone.  The stats and the explanation make a lot of sense!

• Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm day 1671 and my Devil Dino was 304 this morning (first anniversary token got me a cover. Yay!)
    Howard's at 278. Had bad luck with him. A rubbish amount of covers when he came out and then a few dupes when the event was re-run.
  • Shintok17
    Shintok17 Posts: 620 Critical Contributor
    Day 430

Devil Dino: Champed at Level 277.

Howard: 0/4/3. 
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Day 979 here. Even though I just champed my Dino this morning, he's been fully covered since last anniversary. I didn't champ him last anniversary because I was still very much in the process of getting through champing the 4-star tier, and there were others with covers waiting that were simply more valuable. It kinda sucked for his PVP because his health goes to insane levels if you have him champed, and I also had a boatload of potential champ levels that I decided to sell for the sake of other folks. But speaking to Broll's point, even though you only get them once a year, that are quite plentiful. The anniversary vault sticks around for quite some time, and you get more than a fair share of cracks at it, so that was how I ultimately finished mine on top of whatever covers dropped from the Anniversary events. 

I only just recently got my Howard's 13th cover with the last run of Webbed Wonder. It was much tougher with him because even though Webbed Wonder is by default run more frequently, I was only getting 1 cover at a time. Which was of course gonna take a while if they only run the event 3-4 times a year, and saved covers weren't a thing until recently. If anyone recalls, they used to actually offer Howard as a placement reward for PVE events now and then. I don't remember the exact structure, but I think you got 2 covers for being even as low as T100, so that helped me get him off to a decent start before we were relegated to 1 cover at a time. 
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Day 667.

Dino: Fully covered him today but not champed

Howard: 3/2/3
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,391 Chairperson of the Boards
    Now that we have 3 limited status 4* characters, how long can it be until they are the three requireds for a shield training?
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Day 1250

DD 5/3/4

Howard 2/4/5
  • rdvargas1
    rdvargas1 Posts: 77 Match Maker
    Day 1559 
    Devil Dinosaur: 284 She has been champed for at least two years.

Howard: 120 3/4/5  with one saved cover.  I have received at least 6 purple covers before saving was created. This is my white whale (duck).  
  • jym010
    jym010 Posts: 108 Tile Toppler
    Sold a 1/1/3 Dino a while back when I was desperate but day 1332 DD Level 70 5/3/1  HD 5/4/2 with 2 saved greens from the last 2 Webbed wonders