only 7 cards is not magic

Options
Houdin
Houdin Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
I have to say this was a very poorly thought out design change or perhaps just the lazy means answer.
The new 7 card hand maximum was introduced due to a 1 off interaction that allowed upwards of 100 cards in hand.
Limiting hand size to seven at all times goes against the rules and flavour of magic.

In paper magic there are litterly hundreds of cards that will allow a player to have more than seven cards in hand during their turn. 
The rule in actual magic is that at the end of your turn you must discard any cards you haven't played if you have more than seven.

note: there are even cards that allow you to have no maximum hand size.

I dont think the dev's out any thought at all into this desicion. If they actually played magic, they would have realized that this is not a minor change. It actually alters the game at a very basic level.
it also changes the usefulness of numerous cards.

Please, take some time dev's and put more thought into the things you do to this game.

At the end of the day the match 3 aspect is secondary to the game of magic.

Undo this ridiculous change and if needed change the cards that allowed the infinite draw instead

Comments

• IM_CARLOS
    IM_CARLOS Posts: 640 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It's a game limit and and you have to play with it. Think of cards like the madness cards that can't be discarded or cards that turns discard into damage would alter the meta at instant.

I am fine with that decision. 
  • GrizzoMtGPQ
    GrizzoMtGPQ Posts: 776 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I agree this is not the right fix. It makes Chaos Wand go from being great to completely confusing as it seems to be putting cards on TOP of my deck. There needs to be clear definition how cards of this nature work and they need to be applied consistently.
  • span_argoman
    span_argoman Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Paper MTG has a fixed deck size. MtGPQ essentially has infinite decks. I don't think everything in this game has to be the same as in paper.
  • ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The hand size has been there since the beginning of the game, the Chaos Wand / Etali / other steal cards exceeding hand limit size issue was a bug in the way the new cards were implemented.  That said, top of the library is totally nuts, discarding at end of turn would be fine.  If that extended to the initial draw, it would probably make Greg smart again...  No more hand locks!
  • Buizel
    Buizel Posts: 50 Match Maker
    Options
    Paper MTG has a fixed deck size. MtGPQ essentially has infinite decks. I don't think everything in this game has to be the same as in paper.
    MTGPQ is even more constrained at 10/40 cards. Nothing like drawing 5 copies of a card before drawing 1 of something else you need.
  • span_argoman
    span_argoman Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Buizel said:
    MTGPQ is even more constrained at 10/40 cards. Nothing like drawing 5 copies of a card before drawing 1 of something else you need.
    Oh if you're talking about the number of unique cards in a deck then yes, MtGPQ has fewer unique cards allowed per deck. That is yet another difference between paper MTG and MtGPQ.

I was referring to the fact that there is no library death in MtGPQ which creates a very different game dynamic by having no consequence to excessive drawing.

Your example doesn't really work though. When you have fewer unique cards in a deck, you are mathematically more likely to draw the card you want. So you're more likely not to draw a specific card in paper MTG than in MtGPQ.
  • Furks
    Furks Posts: 149 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Paper magic has lands, paper magic has instants, paper magic has the stack, etc... 

There are many things that paper magic does that simply don't make sense in the context of a match 3 game. It's fine for both games to be distinct but with the same flavor.

I will agree on the point that they should settle on a rule and be consistent instead of each card having hidden individual behaviour. 
  • IM_CARLOS
    IM_CARLOS Posts: 640 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Okay MTG and MTGPQ are different games. I know this before and always threaded them different. If I want to play MTG I don't want MTGPQ be MTG, I play MTG. If i wanna play MTGPQ I just play MTGPQ. 
  • Houdin
    Houdin Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'm sorry but the argument that because the structure of game play has to be altered slightly to work with the match 3 side gives carte blanche for any other changes to magic is nonsensical.

Especially when it applies to cards taken directly from paper magic that are specifically designed to allow players to exceed the seven cars limit and now all those cards have been altered with a blanket decision rendering them nearly useless.

As for the idea that library size limits are a factor. Again because of draw cards in paper wizards creates other cards to allow players to exceed this by reshuffling their graveyards to their library.

Overdraw is a mechanic used in numerous tier 1 decks in all metas
  • andrewvanmarle
    andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    Options
    IM_CARLOS said:
    It's a game limit and and you have to play with it. Think of cards like the madness cards that can't be discarded or cards that turns discard into damage would alter the meta at instant.

I am fine with that decision. 
    Actually, the hand limit was in place at the start of the game but was changed to accomodate cards like Etali (and others, too lazy to look them up)

Those cards when stealing from the opponent pass the card through the hand of the opponent before giving it to you. (and if  the Ai's hand is full you don't'get that stolen card)

returning to the original state, fixes one card but breaks many others.....