Gilded Lotus in Standard and Legacy Decks Exploit (10/2/18)

Options

Comments

• GrizzoMtGPQ
    GrizzoMtGPQ Posts: 776 Critical Contributor
    Options
    EvilDead said:
    What a confusing original post.

So due to my personal paranoia, is there or isn't there a bug with Gilded Lotus? I don't want to use it in a deck and
    unknowingly create an issue.

Is this thread just a [redacted] regarding the sticky post?

[MOD NOTE} Edited post to remove profanity - bk.[//MOD NOTE]
    This is precisely the problem here. It is not at all clear what D3 considers cheating. The TOS does not clarify it. Imagine if you were a player of this game, yet not a forum participant, and found that you could do these things. The game is buggy, the instructions are often wrong, the cards are poorly written and inarticulate, the behaviors of abilities widely shift from release to release, and suddenly you find you have less crystals or pinks or whatever it is they clawed back, deducted without note or warning. I think it’s a sorry state of affairs indeed. If nothing else D3 should state very clearly what the line is that THEY consider cheating. I’m not sure I understand. And don’t go saying your own opinion on it because we’ve all heard each other and taken sides. We need clarity from the top. Not just on this matter but guidance moving forward. If you knowingly use Gilded Lotus to game advantage precisely because it is bugged, is that cheating? Is anything else cheating?
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    It has come to my attention recently that there is a large group of players rigging the Duel Decks event so that their chosen side wins, by combining dozens of coalitions worth of players and having them all play on one team.  I was not aware of this for the first run of the event, and as a result missed out on a lot of rewards (and an exclusive card) because I chose the "wrong" team.

Is that cheating too?  It certainly goes against the spirit of the event, and it really sucks when players who were not invited to their group find out about it.

I don't want to call anyone out on anything, I'm just curious if people think that using this kind of loophole to get better event rewards is ok or not after the huge debate over the last one.
    I
     would not go as far as saying "dozens of coalitions",regarding the numbers. As long as it was done to try to break the beta - okay (it's somehow the point of a beta).
    Even if it went so far: it had no big impact - the chosen side was most of the time the losing side, and won only marginal, so I assume the devs took care of this. Once duel decks live and I get notice of it, I'll lobby against it.. It's not really cheating, but I see it as not a good sportsmanship and boring on top of that.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    It has come to my attention recently that there is a large group of players rigging the Duel Decks event so that their chosen side wins, by combining dozens of coalitions worth of players and having them all play on one team.  I was not aware of this for the first run of the event, and as a result missed out on a lot of rewards (and an exclusive card) because I chose the "wrong" team.

Is that cheating too?  It certainly goes against the spirit of the event, and it really sucks when players who were not invited to their group find out about it.

I don't want to call anyone out on anything, I'm just curious if people think that using this kind of loophole to get better event rewards is ok or not after the huge debate over the last one.
    You should talk to your coalition leader. You were all invited to that server — he chose not to share it. The server isn’t open to just certain groups of coalitions. It’s open to anyone who can prove they are in the beta, and it was started since those in the beta can only talk about the event with other players in the beta. 

The point of the beta was to see what will happen when it goes live. It makes sense that large groups will join together and stack when it’s live, and this isn’t something the devs probably took into account because the social aspect of this game is always underestimated. 

In the discussion in the week leading up, some players decided to stack for rewards; others played the winning PW just because they found it more interesting and others played the losing PW for the same reason.   

Cooperation and leveraging the the social aspect of the game isn’t cheating. It is what makes this game special compared to other phone games. 

We do it with all events, sharing objectives and deck building advice; coming up with strategies for last minute refreshes, collecting event info for PvE. 

When the event goes live, I won’t be surprised if players use Facebook, Reddit and the Forum to stack sides as well — and they are well within the rules of the event to do so. 
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bken1234 said:
    Mburn7 said:

You should talk to your coalition leader. You were all invited to that server — he chose not to share it. The server isn’t open to just certain groups of coalitions. It’s open to anyone who can prove they are in the beta, and it was started since those in the beta can only talk about the event with other players in the beta. 

The point of the beta was to see what will happen when it goes live. It makes sense that large groups will join together and stack when it’s live, and this isn’t something the devs probably took into account because the social aspect of this game is always underestimated. 

In the discussion in the week leading up, some players decided to stack for rewards; others played the winning PW just because they found it more interesting and others played the losing PW for the same reason.   

Cooperation and leveraging the the social aspect of the game isn’t cheating. It is what makes this game special compared to other phone games. 

We do it with all events, sharing objectives and deck building advice; coming up with strategies for last minute refreshes, collecting event info for PvE. 

When the event goes live, I won’t be surprised if players use Facebook, Reddit and the Forum to stack sides as well — and they are well within the rules of the event to do so. 
    My point isn't about getting access myself (coalition leader mentioned it to us but has been unable to get an invite code), but more for the ethicality (is that a word?) of it.

The social side of this game has always been a major draw (well, always since Coalitions came out), but have never really had such a direct impact on an event's result.  No matter how big your social network is, your coalition can only have 20 members contributing and getting rewards in any given event.

With the Duel Decks event, that is no longer true.  Having a group of 10 coalitions all choosing the same side gives you an enormous advantage over a single coalition or even over a bunch of random players on Reddit and Facebook when it comes to picking the winning side, and the difference in rewards is big enough that that matters a lot to everyone else.

Again, as I stated before, I'm not looking for anyone to get in trouble.  I'm just curious if leveraging a good social standing to get better rewards is considered morally ok or not by everyone, now that moral and ethical gameplay is at the forefront of everyone's minds.
  • Brakkis
    Brakkis Posts: 777 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Seriously, the stacking on Nissa had an almost negligible effect. For the vast majority of the Final Duel, we had to pull out photoshop and measure in pixels how far the bar had moved to one side or the other to see who won. It moved that little.

Nissa just happened to be on the winning pixel side for the last 30 minutes and came out on top.
  • Mburn7
    Options
    Brakkis said:
    Seriously, the stacking on Nissa had an almost negligible effect. For the vast majority of the Final Duel, we had to pull out photoshop and measure in pixels how far the bar had moved to one side or the other to see who won. It moved that little.

Nissa just happened to be on the winning pixel side for the last 30 minutes and came out on top.
    I'm pretty sure the bar wasn't actually moving.  I just noticed Eldrazi didn't have the "your side is winning" thing over it at any point after the first hour or so.

I put "please make the slider bar do something" as one of my comments
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    bken1234 said:
    Mburn7 said:

My point isn't about getting access myself (coalition leader mentioned it to us but has been unable to get an invite code), but more for the ethicality (is that a word?) of it.

The social side of this game has always been a major draw (well, always since Coalitions came out), but have never really had such a direct impact on an event's result.  No matter how big your social network is, your coalition can only have 20 members contributing and getting rewards in any given event.

With the Duel Decks event, that is no longer true.  Having a group of 10 coalitions all choosing the same side gives you an enormous advantage over a single coalition or even over a bunch of random players on Reddit and Facebook when it comes to picking the winning side, and the difference in rewards is big enough that that matters a lot to everyone else.

Again, as I stated before, I'm not looking for anyone to get in trouble.  I'm just curious if leveraging a good social standing to get better rewards is considered morally ok or not by everyone, now that moral and ethical gameplay is at the forefront of everyone's minds.
    My alliance alone has more than 20 coalitions and our server has almost 900 players since it’s open to the public. Many of them post on Reddit and the FB page which has 2K players. There are members of all the groups of coalitions in all of those places. When the event goes live, it will be quite easy for those who want to leverage stacking to do so (on a much bigger and more obvious scale)— and if that isn’t the devs intention, they can observe the behavior and recognize it now change it now. 

It’s not unethical and IMO adds nothing to the discussion at hand. 
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This was one of my concerns when the event was first announced from the original description. It was just so incredibly obvious that this would be done.

The dev's need to decide whether they want this or not, they either allow it or they assign sides randomly (which will cause different outrage!). I don't think there is a way to have "sides" without there being issues.
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Mburn7 said:

This reminds me of someone who once argued, quite passionately, that a coalition managing their roaster before the start of an event ( i.e. swapping out players who feel like they cant perfom to the best of their ability during that event for those who can) was basically cheating and went against the spirit of the whole idea of coalition play. He was quite delightfully proven wrong of course.

• Bubbles
    Bubbles Posts: 10 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Oh great. So I rely on the Game to tell me which cards are valid for an event. I generally have Standard decks and Legacy decks for my most played PWs. And I just pick the one where there is no "invalid card" marker on it. 

Now I find out I was "cheating" due to bad programming? Absolutely not on. If there was an ingame announcement, fair enough. But I haven't been here on the forum in ages, rarely check it and only came here to report a bug (not the Lotus). I lose track which event allows which cards on which day, that's what the game works out for me, so if it is broken and they know it is broken, they can tell the players . Reading through a discussion here is not "telling" players. 
  • octal9
    octal9 Posts: 593 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Bubbles said:
    Oh great. So I rely on the Game to tell me which cards are valid for an event. I generally have Standard decks and Legacy decks for my most played PWs. And I just pick the one where there is no "invalid card" marker on it. 
    It wasn't this simple to break it.
  • Mburn7
    Options
    octal9 said:
    Bubbles said:
    It wasn't this simple to break it.
    It, uh, basically was.  Just needed 1 extra step, really.
  • Brakkis
    Brakkis Posts: 777 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Ya'll just need to let this **** go. The horse is dead Jim.
  • octal9
    octal9 Posts: 593 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Mburn7 said:

It, uh, basically was.  Just needed 1 extra step, really.
    A crucial step. It's literally the step that takes this from "I chose a deck" to "I put legacy cards in my standard deck"
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Intent.

It's all about intent.

What is the games intent?

What is your intent in relation to that?
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    edited October 2018
    Options
    (Disclaimer: This is my own personal opinion, which may not necessarily be the stance that D3 Go! and/or Oktagon follows.)

The way I see it, the difference between a bug and an exploit is in its accessibility. A bug is a behavior that differs from its intended functionality, however everyone is forced to experience that same behavior.

An exploit is a behavior that differs only because the user performs certain actions, in order to manipulate it into something different from what everyone else naturally experiences.

An example of a fictional exploit would be the following: Playing Card A via normal method causes intended Behavior 1. Adding and removing Card A from a deck multiple times, before going into a battle and playing it via normal method, causes exploited Behavior 2. 
  • bobby_2613
    bobby_2613 Posts: 83 Match Maker
    Options
    I've been a MtGPQ since the begining but I've been really casual.  Since last month, I've started to play more but to be honest, I don't event know the difference between Standard/Legacy.  I'm pretty sure people not coming to Forums don't know this too.  So when you're saying there's an exploit, I hear you.  But I don't even know which set are ok or not.