Is Bolas2 worth 850?

Options
Tremayne
Tremayne Posts: 1,619 Chairperson of the Boards
edited September 2018 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Bolas 2 is on sale now. I wonder if he is worth the price of 850 crystals.

I have Bolas 1 at lvl 60, so the only immediate reason to get B2 is to use him as a low level walker. However his abilities seems weak. 

Can an anyone who has played with him give me some advice on buying him?
Tagged:

Comments

• bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    He’s worth double, but he’s only at his best when maxed. 
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    850  gold? Yeah. I mean, you don't need the one if you have the other.

Bolas 2 feels a bit more PVE optimized, for the long hard fights, I'll not use him too much in pvp since the ai doesn't play him well.
    The main problem I see is the gazillion runes required to level him, while there are still at least 9 walkers in the line to be released this year. If they manage to rotate them all through the vault, of course. Two duals, six monos and a colorless one.. I surely won't buy any other walker I can't afford to level.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    From what I've heard he's pretty good, and 850 seems to be the standard for better-than-dual colored walkers.

I'd only get him if you have the runes to level at least a bit, though, or are willing to grind for them
  • EvilDead
    EvilDead Posts: 167 Tile Toppler
    Options
    He's a beast for shutting down the AI. Once you transform and get the third ability off, it's smooth sailing while the AI can't draw cards. You build loyalty so fast it's crazy.

I use him against the God version all the time with hexproof or can't kill creatures. He's not very good against high speed mana builders like Koth or Kiora.
  • bk1234
    Options
    I used him in both HOR and HOD for the low damage objectives and he was perfect. 
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,435 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    850  gold? Yeah. I mean, you don't need the one if you have the other.

Bolas 2 feels a bit more PVE optimized, for the long hard fights, I'll not use him too much in pvp since the ai doesn't play him well.
    The main problem I see is the gazillion runes required to level him, while there are still at least 9 walkers in the line to be released this year. If they manage to rotate them all through the vault, of course. Two duals, six monos and a colorless one.. I surely won't buy any other walker I can't afford to level.
    I believe he's far superior to B1 in PvP and PvE. Imho, B2 makes B1 look like a kitten. But @bken1234 is right.  He's best if leveled all the way.  He's been my go to over B1 since he came out.  
  • Gunmix25
    Options
    bken1234 said:
    He’s worth double, but he’s only at his best when maxed. 
    He is. He's that good. Like having two PW in one.  Stay with B2.a or flip for B2.b
  • ManiiNames
    ManiiNames Posts: 213 Tile Toppler
    Options
    bken1234 said:
    I used him in both HOR and HOD for the low damage objectives and he was perfect. 
    He shoots you for 10, how does that help with take no / little damage?  Or did you mean the ‘win with 10 or less life’ objectives?
  • bk1234
    Options
    bken1234 said:
    He shoots you for 10, how does that help with take no / little damage?  Or did you mean the ‘win with 10 or less life’ objectives?
    He shoots for 5 — and he’s so good you won’t take a point more with the right deck. 
  • EvilDead
    EvilDead Posts: 167 Tile Toppler
    Options
    He does build slowly at first so have a few creature removal or steal cards in your deck. But once you transform, it's game over.
  • Gunmix25
    Options
    EvilDead said:
    He does build slowly at first so have a few creature removal or steal cards in your deck. But once you transform, it's game over.
    Well put. Not to mention,  the amount of loyalty that flows in when he flips is insane.  There will be matches where you find yourself firing the 3rd loyalty, only to find it refilled at the end of your turn from a small cascade
  • NinjaE
    NinjaE Posts: 213 Tile Toppler
    Options
    What are you running for a list @bken1234 ?
  • HarryMason
    HarryMason Posts: 136 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I have him at max level. He's ridiculous. When I first saw him I thought his abilities looked weak, but that was a mistake. He's a legit control deck on a stick . Even if you don't transform him, you can control the game pretty well with his first 2 abilities. Once he flips he can kill creatures or dome Greg, bring creatures back from the yard and make them bigger and his ult completely shuts down your opponent's ability to advance the game. He has a bit of a learning curve, but I like him a lot . In fact , I like him better than the God Pharaoh. 320k to level is a bit brutal, but it was worth it. 
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,080 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Gunmix25 said:
    EvilDead said:
    Well put. Not to mention,  the amount of loyalty that flows in when he flips is insane.  There will be matches where you find yourself firing the 3rd loyalty, only to find it refilled at the end of your turn from a small cascade
    Like the ones caused by StV  :)
  • Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,619 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So it sounds like he is worth it. At level 50+

thank you all for your input
  • Gunmix25
    Options
    khurram said:
    Gunmix25 said:
    EvilDead said:
    Like the ones caused by StV  :)
    sure, if you're so inclined. doesn't change the fact that the indestructible support for the flip side generates a lot of loyalty
  • bk1234
    Options
    Another thing I like about him is you can play him creatureless. I wouldn’t suggest it as a main strategy, but playing against heavy destroy decks or Nyx / Hixus or StW, it has come in handy 
  • Gunmix25
    Options
    bken1234 said:
    Another thing I like about him is you can play him creatureless. I wouldn’t suggest it as a main strategy, but playing against heavy destroy decks or Nyx / Hixus or StW, it has come in handy 

I've done this once as an experiment. Makes for a long match but yeah, you're all but untouchable once the 3rd on the flip side fires and you've dumped Greg's hand. pretty much a ping game then
  • IM_CARLOS
    IM_CARLOS Posts: 640 Critical Contributor
    Options
    B2 is worth it. Not as explosiv like other pw, but pure control in endgame. He can completely shut down opponents.
    Also great for objectives like kill/cast x or less xx hp objectives. Reach the point and then destroy board and hand, denial draw and win in own pace. 

With StV legal you reach ult2 every other turn. So even vraska have to win fast. 

• Froggy
    Froggy Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    Options
    He’s a total beast. Only card Id suggest to use with him is Oath of Teferi. That’ll give you his first ability on every turn (on his flip side).