Decisions, Decisions . . . The 5* Transition

2»

Comments

• bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    200 CP per week is based off of my past experience and the comments from others.  Right now with a 3* roster, I can get about 140 CP per week.  With a 4* roster it was higher, like 160+.  If you hit 1200 in PVP, then it's 200 CP easy.  AND this is not counting LTs.

I guess I should've added more to the conclusion of this analysis, but I don't like having long posts, which is common for me.  I think I'll update the original post.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    smkspy said:
    DFiPL said:
    The thing is, if you're a progression player in PVE and play to at least 16 wins in every PVP, once you're willing to commit to Latest Legends, you will be able to cover most, if not all, 5* going forward.

There'll be exceptions. One character who drops 12 covers but aggravatingly never drops a 13th. Or a character who drops 15 covers, but RNG means that your coverage is slanted heavily towards one of the three colors (cover saves mean that particular case is salvageable, but I list it anyway). Or maybe you'll actively choose not to complete a character for one reason or another.

But if you're progression + 16 wins, committing to Latest will enable you to cover most releases going forward from that point. The question then becomes WHEN to commit to Latest, because champion rewards will affect your CP flow, as well. For me, that point was when I had the 4* tier about half championed and there was a 5* I really, really wanted.

If you don't have the 3* tier fully championed and at least a good start in the 4* tier, you're probably not ready to commit to Latest.

Likewise, if you're willing to hoard, you can cover whoever's in Latest when you bust it, and if you remain committed to Latest past that point, see everything I wrote above. The only 5* I haven't fully covered since I committed for Spider-Man (Peter Parker) have been Gambit (11 covers, then dried up with something like 2-4 weeks left in Latest and rotated out at 12) and Archangel (stopped pulling when he hit 4/2/4 because I didn't intend to champion him and that was nicely set up for a feeder with no waste).

Even Wasp I'm 4/5/2, and expect to fully cover before she rotates.

Classics are great for backfilling your 5* for essential purposes and building your 4* roster, but they really aren't a viable path to championing a character unless you're really fortunate with bonus pulls and/or spend a fair bit.
    This was essentially my strategy. Exception being that I used CP exclusively for classics up til I only the latest four new 4 star releases unchamp. 

Should be noted that this occurred over 4 years rather being just a year or two into the game.

Nevertheless, Once moved to LL I covered every with either 12 to champ plus extra covers.

This real is the scrounger technic though, where you're fighting for every little bit of CP and champ reward to push your further into the five star tier: SCL 9 when ready, 575-900 every pvp, strategic BHing of 3/4 characters and developing a fully functional 2/3 farm.

For my own sanity, I currently draw the line at 900-1000 in pvp. I'm managing not hitting 1200 and that's fine for me at the moment.
    I've played to 75 wins in a handful of PVPs, but the strategy I laid out was predicated on 'lol no' to the final CP reward in PVP progression. If you do play to 1200/75, that's extra CP on the pile, but my progress on the 5s since Ock/5pidey (my first two covered) was driven by progression + 575 + champion rewards.

I haven't done much with 4BH to target 5* covers yet, 'cept for a couple cases where Latest 5s got instant feeders, but it hasn't affected my ability to cover nearly all of the 5* released since 5pidey.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not taken into account is what playstyle you have. If you're PVE focused, it's different than if PVP focused.

I'm mainly a PVP focused F2P player. To transition in PVP, the only thing that matters is having two 5* champs. Partial covers is useless. An 11 or 12 covered 5* is useless because you'll get target focused to death by other 5* rosters. You're better off only having 4*s. That's why hoarding makes the most sense for a PVP focused player. You stay at 4* champs, until you instantly move to 5* champs.

A PVE focused player can go the classics route, but only if they don't mind using partially covered/leveled 5* characters. The problem with a transitioner pulling classics is that if you didn't start a while ago, dilution makes it almost impossible to start now.

In conclusion:
    -If you're mainly PVP, hoard to champ the 3 latest.
    -If you're mainly PVE, you can open classics or hoard latest.

-If you're going to hoard, it might make sense to open classics till you get one of each 5* if you're serious about PVE.
  • Huntah86
    Huntah86 Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    For me, I waited until I had every 4* champed.  I was only opening classics and LTs as I got them.  By the time I finishing champing all 4* I already had about 6 different 5* fully covered but very under leveled.  I kept putting off making the leap to 5* until I finally decided to champ Peter Parker and pair him up with my Vulture and that worked out really well for a while until the 5* essential was still too much to easily handle.  I finally decided to champ 5* Thor and DD and then just started champing like crazy after that.  I couldn't be happier with my transition but I also think I REALLY lucked into my 5* cover distribution to make it a bit seamless.
  • Huntah86
    How realistic is 200cp/week?
    If you're playing PVP to full progression and PVE to full progression then it's very possible.  You figure around 140 CP give or take just from PVE progression, 28 CP from the 5* and 4* essentials if you're playing SCL 9, 14CP from the Deadpool Dailies, and around 50 CP or so from PVP. It all adds up really quick.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,391 Chairperson of the Boards
    Huntah86 said:
    If you're playing PVP to full progression and PVE to full progression then it's very possible.  You figure around 140 CP give or take just from PVE progression, 28 CP from the 5* and 4* essentials if you're playing SCL 9, 14CP from the Deadpool Dailies, and around 50 CP or so from PVP. It all adds up really quick.
    I'm not all-in to that degree, since I play 8 to progression and PVP to 900 generally (at least to 575 though), but yeah I guess it does add up.
  • Huntah86
    Huntah86 said:
    I'm not all-in to that degree, since I play 8 to progression and PVP to 900 generally (at least to 575 though), but yeah I guess it does add up.

I think you should easily hit 200 CP even that route though so you should be fine.  Going all in for the 1200 in PVP really only adds 30 - 45 CP a week to your total anyways.