Coalition Idea: Seasons?

Options
Mburn7
Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
Had an Idea, tell me what you all think:

In addition to the All-Time coalition rankings, have seasonal rankings (maybe even seasonal rewards?)

Seasons run from set release to set release (~3 months), so one season ends the day of the next set release and the next season starts on the next coalition event after the new set (for example, we'd be in the middle of M19 season which would run another few weeks until Ravnica comes out)

You could also add in either a way to search coalitions based on seasonal ranking or simple remove coalitions that put up a zero score in a season (or in 2 consecutive seasons), which would help the inactive coalition issue too.

Only real downside I can think of is the increased pressure it would put on coalitions, since one bad event can cost you big in the seasonal rankings, although if there aren't end of season rewards this wouldn't really matter much except for pride.

So, what does everyone else think?

Comments

• Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Any addition to the way coalitions are implemented would be an improvement IMO.
    I like it, and if you implement it in a way that only shows coalitions that put up at least some points during the season when searching for randoms, it would be helpful for newbies!
  • ninjark
    ninjark Posts: 50 Match Maker
    Options
    I'm certainly for it.  That was one of my 3 questions in the August Q&A!  ;) 
    (https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/comment/828619/#Comment_828619)
  • Sarahschmara
    Sarahschmara Posts: 554 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I like this idea a lot. 

The part about only showing active coalitions in the random searched would be extremely helpful for new players!

• madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,227 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This comes up every now and then. It would definitely freshen things up--and I think it would possibly help with the visibility of some excellent coalitions that perform well, but don't have the good fortune to show up in the all-time lists. 
  • Froggy
    Froggy Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I fully agree. It would be fun to have seasonal standings. I think a lot of coalitions would work at it.
  • Larz70
    Larz70 Posts: 132 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I would love to have seasons also but unfortunately, the data I have collected on Coalition Events would disagree with this.

For the last 10 events, I have been capturing coalition scores and I noticed that in the majority of the events, the top 10 coalitions end up winning the top 10 rewards.  There was one event, HoR, where GratefulDead and Deadapult broke into the top 10 but they came in 9th and 10th respectively.  GoblinPile and SWWAgain "boycotted" the event and played progression or more if they want to.  Even when the top 10 coalitions are sandbagging, they still manage to dominate, how much more when they are focused?

Conclusion, if the top 10 are consistently nabbing top 10 events, it follows that you will see the same 10 coalitions in the Seasonal Rankings top 10.

I also like the idea that of searching coalitions based on Seasonal Scores, but the more I think of this, the more I think it's bad for the game.  I agree that we need to give players a better way to search for coalitions to join in the game, but if they start finding coalitions in the top 51-250 with 1-5 open spaces, this will be exploited big time.  It will open up a way for hundreds of players who really have no intention of playing that weekend but want to grab coalition rewards.  It sounds selfish of me, but I'm not that kind of person because I used to run a coalition where I plan on competing hard and I tell my family and friends come join even if you're not playing cause I can get you some runes and crystals for free!  But I don't like the game to make it easy for randoms to get free loot and make this one of the top tips/strategies to get easy rewards.  I mean I would still invite random strangers to join my old coalition and not force them to play (disclaimer, I play for a top 10 coalition now), I just don't want the game to actually make it a thing .....  hope I'm making sense.

So really, I would love this but I hope you also see that over the long term it won't work......

I'm excited for something though, Duel Decks!  Imagine no coalitions and more than half the participants get the best loot.  I mean that's better than 20 people in the top 2 coalition getting the best rewards right?  Kudos for Oktagon for coming up with this (and doing a beta to boot!), I hope we all get a chance to test that and give a lot of great feedback to make it a success.

• James13
    James13 Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I don't see this doing anything other than widening a reward gap by providing additional resources to those who already get most of them.

If you were going to argue some seasonal rankings at the individual level instead, maybe there might be some merit, but even then it's still effectively doubling up rewards for those who already topped them earlier in order to be there in the first place.

Individual there could be more movement.  Coalitions I don't think there's really much.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    James13 said:
    I don't see this doing anything other than widening a reward gap by providing additional resources to those who already get most of them.

If you were going to argue some seasonal rankings at the individual level instead, maybe there might be some merit, but even then it's still effectively doubling up rewards for those who already topped them earlier in order to be there in the first place.

Individual there could be more movement.  Coalitions I don't think there's really much.
    I mean, there don't have to be rewards for the seasonal rankings, since I agree it would just make the top coalitions richer. 

But having rankings like this would be a good way to let new coalitions into the top 25 who don't have the legacy backlog of points to make the all time list get some visibility on their recruiting, and would provide an easy way to get rid of inactive coalitions (or finding coalitions that only have 1 or 2 active members to try and get them into more active coalitions)
  • Sarahschmara
    Sarahschmara Posts: 554 Critical Contributor
    Options
    If the top ten didn’t consistently over-achieve then they would be replaced fairly quickly. They work very hard to stay on top. 

That said, I’d like to be able to scroll further, if not in the game then perhaps a more complete rankings could be displayed on the forum? That could liven up the coalitions subsection a bit.
  • babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Larz70 said:
    I would love to have seasons also but unfortunately, the data I have collected on Coalition Events would disagree with this.

For the last 10 events, I have been capturing coalition scores and I noticed that in the majority of the events, the top 10 coalitions end up winning the top 10 rewards.  There was one event, HoR, where GratefulDead and Deadapult broke into the top 10 but they came in 9th and 10th respectively.  GoblinPile and SWWAgain "boycotted" the event and played progression or more if they want to.  Even when the top 10 coalitions are sandbagging, they still manage to dominate, how much more when they are focused?

Conclusion, if the top 10 are consistently nabbing top 10 events, it follows that you will see the same 10 coalitions in the Seasonal Rankings top 10.

I also like the idea that of searching coalitions based on Seasonal Scores, but the more I think of this, the more I think it's bad for the game.  I agree that we need to give players a better way to search for coalitions to join in the game, but if they start finding coalitions in the top 51-250 with 1-5 open spaces, this will be exploited big time.  It will open up a way for hundreds of players who really have no intention of playing that weekend but want to grab coalition rewards.  It sounds selfish of me, but I'm not that kind of person because I used to run a coalition where I plan on competing hard and I tell my family and friends come join even if you're not playing cause I can get you some runes and crystals for free!  But I don't like the game to make it easy for randoms to get free loot and make this one of the top tips/strategies to get easy rewards.  I mean I would still invite random strangers to join my old coalition and not force them to play (disclaimer, I play for a top 10 coalition now), I just don't want the game to actually make it a thing .....  hope I'm making sense.

So really, I would love this but I hope you also see that over the long term it won't work......

I'm excited for something though, Duel Decks!  Imagine no coalitions and more than half the participants get the best loot.  I mean that's better than 20 people in the top 2 coalition getting the best rewards right?  Kudos for Oktagon for coming up with this (and doing a beta to boot!), I hope we all get a chance to test that and give a lot of great feedback to make it a success.

I think this misses the point a little bit.

The searching for coalitions is so painful that its virtually impossible to find competitive coalitions in the app itself.  Having  seasonal ranking would help people hone in on currently active and competitive coalitions.  This should make those outside of the top 10 with open slots better able to be found by competitive players. (They will quickly kick people who want to just poach a "reward" by joining a coalition without putting in effort.... although again, we don't need the prizes to be cards, resources, etc... so not sure why people would care to "exploit" this).

Additionally, I think the lack of fluidity in the top 10 is a function of lack of real competitiveness.  Do coalitions really care that much to get 10th place instead of 11th right now?  The increase in rewards isn't usually worth the extra effort required. They also have virtually no chance to ever show up on the top of the leaderboard.

Anyway, the dissent to doing something that would add a lot of flavor and competitiveness to the game seems pretty weak.

I also don't understand the claim that it "won't work...".  Coalitions looking to place high on seasonal rankings are not going to just allow free loaders to remain in their coalition.  But even still, it would provide a lot of fun for the top 25 coalitions at a minimum.... which is undeniably 500 of the most engaged player base.  And I think it would go far beyond that.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just Dropped In
    Options
    If the top ten didn’t consistently over-achieve then they would be replaced fairly quickly. They work very hard to stay on top. 

That said, I’d like to be able to scroll further, if not in the game then perhaps a more complete rankings could be displayed on the forum? That could liven up the coalitions subsection a bit.
    I like the scroll further idea. 

Also like the season thing in addition to the all time leaderboards. 

I really like the season or even a monthly thing. I dont think it necessarily needs rewards but if there are going to be rewards i think it should be very evenly dispersed with very small incremental increases between rank brackets. (Since we already have the stark cliffs between rewards already)